Best air cooler for tall ram?

Emanbaird

I have a Ryzen 7 2700x, and i'd love to run it at 1.4+ V 24/7 with a decent overclock, but i've had issues in the past with AIO's I was looking into the dark rock pro 4, until i noticed its pretty large. i'm worried I won't clear my ram, i took measurements yesterday and I don't think it will clear it, my Vengeance LED ram is pretty tall, and I do have a Corsair 570x, So i think my case is wide enough for most air coolers, 

I guess as long as i can run 1.375V and stay under 80C I should be good, however AESTHETICS are definitely a plus but not a requirement 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

4 minutes ago, Emanbaird said:

I guess as long as i can run 1.375V and stay under 80C I should be good, however AESTHETICS are definitely a plus but not a requirement 

Well you could use a NoctuaU14s as i do performs great and does not interfere with ram sticks but comes with a ugly fan, i replaced mine to a black Nocuta fan of the same type.  Maybe also a D15s fits you can check on Noctuas site for exact dimensions. 

Just want to answer what the topic asks. I will simply recommend Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT.

No matter which ram do you use, low profile or high profile, this cooler doesn't have any issue with that, and it performs on top if you're looking for "the best" without any "RAM clearance" issue.

7986_24_thermalright-le-grand-macho-rt-cpu-cooler-review.jpg.1d29aee274f70daad744dc7033096d8d.jpg

The Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT will always be the winner over any other big cooler when it's coming to performance + clearance. Performance is top tier while it offers full compatibility. RAM? Check! Case? Check! Pci-E slot? Check! No conflict with other component with this cooler.

Spoiler

images.jpeg.a917251daba94c53f431e4f8fdb0883f.jpeg

installed3.jpg.df22bb282e68d911a158fb1ea50f9412.jpg

installed4.jpg.428564efb638427b6101ac73f7d601f0.jpg

installed2.jpg.f9eaa46cb70f4b73f8d45d3458787bfa.jpg

installed6.jpg.c34d1a80a278770640f5b57905682760.jpg

Spoiler

temp_oc_wprime.png.04429fa1b2cb5c3fffeba668ff94be41.png

temp_oc_aida64.png.6ec3afa95e7c7e719c809574be102137.png

temp_stock_aida64_fpu.png.c5677a21eaf4f55dfbf881e29372c461.png

temp_oc_aida64_fpu.png.77ced4b071ec89a1441e140548a43a00.png

Clearance is exceptional with the Le Grand Macho RT offering perfect memory clearance and enough space to access the EPS 8-pin without issue. GPU clearance is also acceptable; granted, it is a snug fit, but there were no issues with the Thermalright cooler getting in the way of the first expansion slot. Mini-ITX and micro-ATX users should be alright, but always double check to make sure.

https://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/Thermalright/Le_Grand_Macho/

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

@_Hustler_One_ Please use spoilers if you're going to include large or many images. 

@Emanbaird What case are you using? Budget? What kind of aesthetic did you have in mind?

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

44 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

@_Hustler_One_ Please use spoilers if you're going to include large or many images. 

@Emanbaird What case are you using? Budget? What kind of aesthetic did you have in mind?

I'd be going with a Corsair 570x, and to be honest, and around $200 is the max, RGB is the aesthetic lol, i I'm not too against the Noctua coolers, and i know they perform great but they are just ugly, 

I low-key regret going with the 570x it's too open

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

2 hours ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

Just want to answer what the topics asks. I will simply recommend Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT.

No matter which ram do you use, low profile or high profile, this cooler doesn't have any issue with that, and it performs on top if you're looking for "the best" without any "RAM clearance" issue.

The perofmance on this looks great!
I'll definitely look into it

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

I'm on mobile, can't see which tools to spoiler. I'll fix it tho.. Thaanks..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

On 12/14/2018 at 5:28 PM, Emanbaird said:

I'd be going with a Corsair 570x, and to be honest, and around $200 is the max, RGB is the aesthetic lol, i I'm not too against the Noctua coolers, and i know they perform great but they are just ugly, 

I low-key regret going with the 570x it's too open

The ARO-M14 is good: https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-ARO-M14G-AMD-Ryzen-only/dp/B07C3KSHZR/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1545078481&sr=1-13&keywords=thermalright+macho

The Le Grand Macho RT mentioned above is slightly better but not worth a $35 price premium imo.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

macho direct, windale 6

Both have 100% ram clearance, are $40, and are so close to the "top-tier" air coolers (LGM, NH-D15 (S), Dark Rock Pro 4, R1 etc.) that it can be put down to margin of error (and it's usually not recommended to go a few degrees below thermal throttle because that can degrade the silicon, so that renders the few degree difference between the macho direct/windale 6 and the top end coolers mute). 

I might end up buying a couple of them to test them out, 

Current Build

Spoiler
  • CPU
  • Motherboard
  • RAM
  • GPU
  • Case
  • Storage
  • PSU
  • Display(s)
  • Cooling
  • Keyboard
  • Mouse
  • Sound
  • Operating System

• 7 months later...
On 12/18/2018 at 6:19 PM, Emanbaird said:

I might end up buying a couple of them to test them out, 

On 12/18/2018 at 12:59 AM, WoodenMarker said:

The ARO-M14 is good: https://www.amazon.com/Thermalright-ARO-M14G-AMD-Ryzen-only/dp/B07C3KSHZR/ref=sr_1_13?s=electronics&ie=UTF8&qid=1545078481&sr=1-13&keywords=thermalright+macho

The Le Grand Macho RT mentioned above is slightly better but not worth a $35 price premium imo.

Will it fit in a small ITX case?? Like the Phanteks entoo evolv itx case (I also have a silent wings 3)

5 hours ago, ItzUknown said:

Will it fit in a small ITX case?? Like the Phanteks entoo evolv itx case (I also have a silent wings 3)

Yes, but the Evolv ITX is far from a small itx case. 

20 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Yes, but the Evolv ITX is far from a small itx case. 

Well yes but I am planing to put 5 fans in it (all silent wings 3 except the front one which is the on that it came in) and an air cooler with an rtx 2060 or 2070 I want to make sure that everything is going to fit and also the ryzen stealth cooler is a about ~10 cm right?? if thats the case I will go with a be quiet dark rock slim which is with the fan 72mm so 7.2 cm because otherwise it will not clear my ram becasue it is 51mm tall and the fan can only go a far as 48mm

On 8/7/2019 at 5:24 AM, ItzUknown said:

Well yes but I am planing to put 5 fans in it (all silent wings 3 except the front one which is the on that it came in) and an air cooler with an rtx 2060 or 2070 I want to make sure that everything is going to fit and also the ryzen stealth cooler is a about ~10 cm right?? if thats the case I will go with a be quiet dark rock slim which is with the fan 72mm so 7.2 cm because otherwise it will not clear my ram becasue it is 51mm tall and the fan can only go a far as 48mm

The DR Slim and ARO-M14 are designed to completely clear the ram as opposed to hang over it. Unless you're using a motherboard with ram slots abnormally close to the socket.

Spoiler

23l0d2w.jpgDRSlim_h_w_4_v3.jpg

On 8/7/2019 at 10:38 PM, WoodenMarker said:

The DR Slim and ARO-m14 are designed to completely clear the ram as opposed to hang over it. Unless you're using a motherboard with ram slots abnormally close to the socket.

Reveal hidden contents

23l0d2w.jpgDRSlim_h_w_4_v3.jpg

Ohh ok I am using the Gigabyte Aorus B450 pro wifi I so I dont think I will have any problems...right?

7 hours ago, ItzUknown said:

Ohh ok I am using the Gigabyte Aorus B450 pro wifi I so I dont think I will have any problems...right?

There should be no problems with clearing ram with either cooler. 

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

There should be no problems with clearing ram with either cooler. 

Ok thank you I really appreciate it !!