Upto what temperature should I keep my case fans off?

Farhan_
Go to solution Solved by LukeSavenije,

80 degrees is max for most chips to really damage anything in the long term. 55 is fine

Currently the case fans turn on only if the temp goes above 55°C at 60% fan power duty. By 60°C, fan power duty is 80% and at 70°C, fans run at max speed. Should I reduce the threshold? 55°C feels not too hot when I touch the cpu heatsink

80 degrees is max for most chips to really damage anything in the long term. 55 is fine

1 minute ago, LukeSavenije said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Temp almost touches 75°c during prime95 and ~62°c during gaming. I'm good to go right? I just want my pc to be silent when idling

Just now, Farhan_ said:

Thanks for the quick reply. Temp almost touches 75°c during prime95 and ~62°c during gaming. I'm good to go right? I just want my pc to be silent when idling

seems fine to me

3 minutes ago, Farhan_ said:

Currently the case fans turn on only if the temp goes above 55°C at 60% fan power duty. By 60°C, fan power duty is 80% and at 70°C, fans run at max speed. Should I reduce the threshold? 55°C feels not too hot when I touch the cpu heatsink

really just depends on what you are comfortable with. ive seen cpu on stock coolers run at 100-ish °C in offices for years with no problem. gpu usually step down their clock way earlier though i believe the factory max they are trying to maintane is usually 70-ish? im not sure. 

id set up profiles and turn it up a bit when strssing and let it cook when idle. but thats just me.

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

really just depends on what you are comfortable with. ive seen cpu on stock coolers run at 100-ish °C in offices for years with no problem. gpu usually step down their clock way earlier though i believe the factory max they are trying to maintane is usually 70-ish? im not sure. 

id set up profiles and turn it up a bit when strssing and let it cook when idle. but thats just me.

well, knowing that the max temps for intel is 81,2 (or something around that) before it can damage by heat on the core, I really wouldn't recommend going over 80 degrees. but they can work a couple years on those temps, but especially for an office I wouldn't do it

2 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, knowing that the max temps for intel is 81,2 (or something around that) before it can damage by heat on the core, I really wouldn't recommend going over 80 degrees. but they can work a couple years on those temps, but especially for an office I wouldn't do it

not saying its ideal. just saying cpu's dont instantly die as soon as they go 1°C over. there usually alot of margin for error. also those office workhorses were pretty old machines. dont know if it has anything to do with it but maybe back then temp range was higher? idk

"You know it'll clock down as soon as it hits 40°C, right?" - "Yeah ... but it doesnt hit 40°C ... ever  😄"

GPU: MSI GTX1080 Ti Aero @ 2 GHz (watercooled) CPU: Ryzen 5600X (watercooled) RAM: 32GB 3600Mhz Corsair LPX MB: Gigabyte B550i PSU: Corsair SF750 Case: Hyte Revolt 3

Just now, cluelessgenius said:

not saying its ideal. just saying cpu's dont instantly die as soon as they go 1°C over. there usually alot of margin for error. also those office workhorses were pretty old machines. dont know if it has anything to do with it but maybe back then temp range was higher? idk

absolute temp limit is 105 on intel chips (most of them), well, a single degree can actually differ between 3 and 6 years, at least if we're talking all the time those temps. hitting 90 once doesn't hurt that much

9 hours ago, LukeSavenije said:

well, knowing that the max temps for intel is 81,2 (or something around that) before it can damage by heat on the core

Where'd you get that number? Intel cpus should shut down at ~100c before temps are dangerous.

9 hours ago, cluelessgenius said:

dont know if it has anything to do with it but maybe back then temp range was higher? idk

It should be about the same but the quoted 'safe temp' of 80c is basically a guess. Killing a cpu from high temps isn't very common and it's more often from thermal cycling with temps going up and down repeatedly more than consistent high temps. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

9 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

Where'd you get that number? Intel cpus should shut down at ~100c before temps are dangerous

It was a certain value that came from a certain safe temp value (not fully remember, discussed it a while ago), I know that the throttle temps on intel is 95-105, but that wasn't what I'm talking about