Looking for good True surround headphones

RADEON_GUY

So I've been looking into buying a new headset, as I really, really want to try true surround sound. My current headset is a Corsair Void wireless with virtual surround, which AFAIK is not even close to the real stuff. I've also started using my VR headset more and more, so I think surround would definitely help in that department. The only headset with true surround I've found is the Razer Tiamat 7.1. I'd say I'm looking for a great all-around headset, which I can use for VR, as well as regular gaming and Netflix. My budget is flexible, although I would prefer to keep it below £500.

Looking forward to some great recommendations!

1 hour ago, RADEON_GUY said:

The only headset with true surround I've found is the Razer Tiamat 7.1

I've had it during my "omg razer" fascination phase, don't recommend it. It's not only "not even close to the real thing", it's also bad quality period.

There is a general consensus that 7.1 headphones are a sham at worst and a myth at best. Good quality stereo headphones all the way. 

I've yet to hear about good 7.1 headphones worthy of the name.

CPU: i7 6950X  |  Motherboard: Asus Rampage V ed. 10  |  RAM: 32 GB Corsair Dominator Platinum Special Edition 3200 MHz (CL14)  |  GPUs: 2x Asus GTX 1080ti SLI 

Storage: Samsung 960 EVO 1 TB M.2 NVME  |  PSU: In Win SIV 1065W 

Cooling: Custom LC 2 x 360mm EK Radiators | EK D5 Pump | EK 250 Reservoir | EK RVE10 Monoblock | EK GPU Blocks & Backplates | Alphacool Fittings & Connectors | Alphacool Glass Tubing

Case: In Win Tou 2.0  |  Display: Alienware AW3418DW  |  Sound: Woo Audio WA8 Eclipse + Focal Utopia Headphones

I recommend virtual surround sound over true surround sound headsets. I think the issue with true surround is that it doesn't have crosstalk between left and right, like real speakers would have and that virtual surround sound can simulate.

The issue with stereo is ofc that it is limited to 2 directions, left and right. Games can give additional information through pans, but overall imaging is going to be relatively poor due to lack of HRTFs.

I'd say to just keep using virtual surround sound, as the realism should get better over time.

1 hour ago, RADEON_GUY said:

So I've been looking into buying a new headset, as I really, really want to try true surround sound. My current headset is a Corsair Void wireless with virtual surround, which AFAIK is not even close to the real stuff. I've also started using my VR headset more and more, so I think surround would definitely help in that department. The only headset with true surround I've found is the Razer Tiamat 7.1. I'd say I'm looking for a great all-around headset, which I can use for VR, as well as regular gaming and Netflix. My budget is flexible, although I would prefer to keep it below £500.

Looking forward to some great recommendations!

I've got a pair of ancient Zalman surround headphones and I would say they give better directionality than synthetic surround, but as @Lathlaer points out, they don't sound amazing (maybe OK for games, definitely not for movies or music).  So it kind of depends on what you're after and used to. 

I've got surround speakers setup on my gaming system, so I'm very accustomed to having and using surround in FPS.  When I switch to stereo headphones (back when I went to LAN parties), I'm suddenly lost.  I am dependent on the surround and going without is a handicap.  If you don't have that dependency yet, you may not want to develop it.

In addition to relatively poor sound quality (OK for games, I suppose), discrete channel surround headphones also requires that your computer has 5.1 outputs that actually work in the games you want to play.  There are plenty of on-board sound chips that advertise surround, but can only deliver it with Windows software support.  If the game you're playing only supports surround with OpenAL, for instance, then the surround may not work in that particular game.  I've only had one motherboard that supported surround in everything and that board had a Creative Labs sound chip.  Discrete sound cards are pretty reliable.

All of that is to say I would only recommend trying this if:

1. The $200 (or whatever) is easily affordable to you,

2. It possibly not fully working in every game is OK, and

3. Noticeably reduced audio fidelity over good stereo headphones is OK (I've not used the Razers personally).

Thanks for the info... glad I asked before pulling the trigger on the Razer headset.

I'll still try to look for some new headphones, though, since my Corsair headset is kind of falling apart (cracked plastic, loose earcups)

I have the medusa true 5.1's (played alot with these long ago) and also the roccat kave 5.1 true analogue headsets (not tried yet) and found the directional sound to be a tad better, when a game supports it and it's all set up right. BUT, a drastic reduction in overall audio quality. 

This is in direct comparison to cheap normal audio, right off the motherboard with a cheaper set of Sennheiser PC360's. 

I really wanted true 5.1 to be a thing for me, but found it wasn't. So i invested in a much superior stereo set up and now understand what the audio lads are going on about.

My sound is now fantastic, accurate, clear and immersive. But that cost some good money and research time.

One day I will hook up the roccats just to see, but never seem to remember to bother!

CPU Intel i7 8700K @5Ghz Motherboard ROG Maximus Hero 10 RAM Corsair Vengeance 32GB 3600MHz 

GPU MSI Gaming X 1080ti Case Thermaltake Core P3  Storage SSD Boot plus Samsung 960 Evo M.2 nvme storage 

PSU Corsair RM750W Gold Display Asus ROG Strix XG32VQ 144Hz 1440p Cooling Corsair H100i V2 

Keyboard Roccat Ryos MK FX Mouse Roccat Kone Aimo Audio MK3 Fostex T50RP + Schiit Magni 3 AMP and Modi 2 DAC 
Operating System Win 10

VR HTC Vive, Audio Strap Motion Platform DOF Reality 2 DOF

On 12/14/2018 at 9:11 AM, RADEON_GUY said:

Thanks for the info... glad I asked before pulling the trigger on the Razer headset.

Stay away from any gaming branded headset or headphone its not worth your money or time.. purchase a DECENT set of stereo headphones.  True surround sound in headphones is just not real even if a headphone has a bunch of drivers in the cups it will not simulate what a proper speaker system will do.  IF you want to play around with "surround sound" download a few types of virtual surround software and play around with it.  After owning a "Razer Kraken 7.1 Surround Sound" headset and using the razer surround software etc etc  I can say its all junk and I prefer using Stereo sound for all my FPS games like CSGO,PUBG BF5 etc but audio is subjective and maybe you will like using some type of software but regardless this will sound way better on a good set of headphones not some cheap ass over marketed gaming headset.....  

Now I own 4 pairs of good stereo headphones (NVX XPT 100, ATH-M40X, Senn HD558, Senn HD6XX) and will say this is the way to go what you now need to choose is if you want closed back or open back headphones do some research on the differences between the two then decide what headphone your going to go for.  

Coming from a gaming headset like yourself and if budget is of any concern I would suggest a closed back headphone like the Status Audio CB-1.  Very affordable way of getting into the headphone market.

https://thestatusaudio.com/products/cb1

Good luck with your purchase feel free to PM with any questions.

Cheers.