Use Nvlink to see into the future of gaming

Cansadoyguay
Go to solution Solved by gbergeron,
5 minutes ago, Cansadoyguay said:

My friend ages ago bought a 2500k when it was the don daddy of chips (and still is a bit) with a heck of bottleneck it can still scrape modern games if you throw a high end gpu in there: That was four cores. It is now clearly time for him to upgrade If he wants to play AAA.

One actual generation leap ahead (ps3 - ps4) and my i7 2700k (4 cores/8 threads) is still able to take on new AAA titles granted still bottlenecked but it does it really well (and still haven't overclocked).

Atm i5 9600k and i9 9900k are inseperable for gaming as always the case with i5 on release.

This is understandable as the six good cores in the i5 are same as six cores in jaguar platforms (apu or not).

Look at Blade Shadow as well - similar specs as a console 8 Xeon cores 12gb ram.

i5 was and is the way to get into current high end gaming and, back when i7 had hyperthreading, i7 was the way of staying adequately futureproofed from gaming perspective.

This all comes down to an assumption. To me sli or nvlink/crossfire are a way of emulating newer graphics cards that haven't been released yet (may be especially true way Navi is looking). 

Can someone please do a test between i5 9600k and i9 9900k comparing their performance on single cards versus sli/nvlink/crossfire. Hopefully this will put more contrast between the i5 9600k and the i9 9900k.

Because at £500 the i9 is arguably not worth buying if i5s keep coming out at half that price. But I am so so impressed at how the hyperthreaded i7 2700k is doing 6/7 years later and still not having to replace my mobo/ram is a treat.

From futureproof gaming perspective I would love to see some arguments pro the i9 9900k.

The way I see it 5th gen (just around the corner) is going to look something like

16 cores/threads 32 gb ram and 16/20gb gpu (+higher clocks). 

- That ram and cpu are currently accessible. Looking at the new 4k hdr 144hz monitors however GPUs clearly still have a long way to go. 

Sorry for the paragraphs but thanks for looking. My theory is that cpu is a better £500 investment than £1000 gpu. Watch rtx 2080 ti depreciate by 50% whilst 9900k holds 80% of its value.

Cheers Cansadoyguay

Monitor should last you 10 years

CPU 5+ years

GPU 2-5 years

Thats what I usually aim for when buying

My friend ages ago bought a 2500k when it was the don daddy of chips (and still is a bit) with a heck of bottleneck it can still scrape modern games if you throw a high end gpu in there: That was four cores. It is now clearly time for him to upgrade If he wants to play AAA.

One actual generation leap ahead (ps3 - ps4) and my i7 2700k (4 cores/8 threads) is still able to take on new AAA titles granted still bottlenecked but it does it really well (and still haven't overclocked).

Atm i5 9600k and i9 9900k are inseperable for gaming as always the case with i5 on release.

This is understandable as the six good cores in the i5 are same as six cores in jaguar platforms (apu or not).

Look at Blade Shadow as well - similar specs as a console 8 Xeon cores 12gb ram.

i5 was and is the way to get into current high end gaming and, back when i7 had hyperthreading, i7 was the way of staying adequately futureproofed from gaming perspective.

This all comes down to an assumption. To me sli or nvlink/crossfire are a way of emulating newer graphics cards that haven't been released yet (may be especially true way Navi is looking). 

Can someone please do a test between i5 9600k and i9 9900k comparing their performance on single cards versus sli/nvlink/crossfire. Hopefully this will put more contrast between the i5 9600k and the i9 9900k.

Because at £500 the i9 is arguably not worth buying if i5s keep coming out at half that price. But I am so so impressed at how the hyperthreaded i7 2700k is doing 6/7 years later and still not having to replace my mobo/ram is a treat.

From futureproof gaming perspective I would love to see some arguments pro the i9 9900k.

The way I see it 5th gen (just around the corner) is going to look something like

- That ram and cpu are currently accessible. Looking at the new 4k hdr 144hz monitors however GPUs clearly still have a long way to go. 

Sorry for the paragraphs but thanks for looking. My theory is that cpu is a better £500 investment than £1000 gpu. Watch rtx 2080 ti depreciate by 50% whilst 9900k holds 80% of its value.

Cheers Cansadoyguay

Come again?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

5 minutes ago, Cansadoyguay said:

Cheers Cansadoyguay

Monitor should last you 10 years

CPU 5+ years

GPU 2-5 years

Thats what I usually aim for when buying

CPU: Intel i7 6700K 4.5 ghz / CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 / Board: Asus Z170-A / GPU: Asus Rog Strix GTX 1070 8GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB DDR4 3000 mhz / SSD: Samsung 850 Evo 500 GB / PSU: Corsair RMx 850w / Case: Fractal Design Define S / Keyboard: Corsair MX Silent / Mouse: Logitech G403 / Monitor: Dell 27" TN 1ms 1440p/144hz Gsync

12 minutes ago, Cansadoyguay said:

That won't happen.

Take a look at the 6700K or 7700K, they sell for 70% of their original MSRP already so they've lost at least 30% of their value in just a year or two. Every time a new CPU comes out the old stuff drops in value. The more new CPUs that come out the more the old stuff tends to drop in value. The exact amount might vary but I see the 9900K going for $300 or less in a few years.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

1 minute ago, Lurick said:

That won't happen.

Take a look at the 6700K or 7700K, they sell for 70% of their original MSRP already so they've lost at least 30% of their value in just a year or two. Every time a new CPU comes out the old stuff drops in value. The more new CPUs that come out the more the old stuff tends to drop in value. The exact amount might vary but I see the 9900K going for $300 or less in a few years.

Ah but those chips kept the same 4 core/8 thread count. To get 16 cores/threads atm (what I deem to be 5th gen) one would need to purchase the i9 9900k. Agreed 80% is exaggeration on my part. 

The i7 2700k was first avenue into 8 threads and that still serves. I see i9 9900k as the new i7 2700k with its 16 threads. 

Edit: best plan of action seems get i5 9th gen and Z390 mobo then sell i5 and get i9 when price comes down. Get 4/5+ years out of the i9 (maybe 2nd hand), upgrade gpu as and when. Ddr3 to ddr4 was nothing so not fussed waiting for ddr5. 

Thanks for comments, understandably no one is interested in doing nvlink benchmarks for moi so case closed!

Edited by Cansadoyguay