Bad hard drive causing crash when running specific software

TST

System specs.   Windows 10 64bit with ST500DM002-1BD142 hard drive. 

Problem: I’ve encounted a unexpected store exception BSOD within a few minutes of running only one game from my steam library. The rest of my games (even more intensive ones like GTA V) run perfectly for hours. After fiddling with the settings I cannot get a dump to save, even when telling windows to force a dump save. The only dumps the system saved are empty files. 

My question: after contacting the game developer and having many hours of contact through email and support, they had me run SeaTools and I had a short DST fail but a SMART pass. The disk repair tool could not repair it either. The game causes consistent non recording BSODs. Any other game in my library does not. Is there any other trouble shooting steps I can take? It feels strange to me a rather nonintensive game for my system would cause enough issue with the disk for a windows failure. 

I checked the sata and power connections and all looks good on the drive and made no change

I have not used the PC since I made a back up in order to preserve the hard drive in the mean time of waiting for my SSD upgrade to come in. 

This is may sound silly as it is clear the HDD is failing, id just like to be sure the problem is 100% the hard drive

@TST

I may be completely wrong here, but it sounds like the game that you are trying to run has data on a particularly broken section of disk that is causing issues when windows attempts to read from it...

Have you tried uninstalling and re-installing the game?

Edited by MrJoosh
Tag

I will only ever answer to the best of my ability - there is absolutely no promises that I will be correct. Or helpful. At all.

My toaster:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i5-4670k @ 4.3GHz
Motherboard: Asus Maximus VI Formula
RAM: 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR3
GPU: Nvidia GeForce GTX770 2GB
Case: Some free Sharkoon case
Storage: Crucial MX500 500GB SSD | Western Digital Blue 1TB
PSU: Corsair HX750
Display(s): Acer framless 24" 1080p thing | Acer 22" 1600x900 thing
Cooling: Corsair H100i AIO | 2 x Corsair LL120 front intakes on radiator | 1 x Corsair LL120 rear exhaust
Keyboard: Steelseries Apex
Mouse: R.A.T 7
Sound: HyperX Cloud II headset | Creative EAX 5.1 speakers

That would make a lot of sense! I have not tried that yet but defiantly will and report back

Hello again,

i went to attempt reinstalling the software, and I ran seagates bootable to re-examine the hard drive, as I had disconnected it to examine and see which ssd would best fit. The hard drive passed every single test with zero errors. When I logged in and attempted to boot up the game, it crashed windows again. It seems to be a more general issue than a hard drive.