New AMD Radeon driver bricked my system! Anyone else experiencing this and have any advice?

Swordhero1

I just installed the newest driver for my rx580 and I left while it was installing. I came back to an unresponsive black screen so obviously I just turned my pc on and off (lol) and now I can’t get any video signal to my monitor. Anyone else experiencing this? Have any advice?

Does your system have an iGPU? If so boot from that. 

Also you'll have to fire up DDU to remove the drivers and install new ones. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

21 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

Does your system have an iGPU? If so boot from that. 

Also you'll have to fire up DDU to remove the drivers and install new ones. 

Nope :/ Ryzen 7 1700

Yes, the same thing happened to me (Vega 56). I just rolled back my drivers. I thought it was in part to me messing around in the BIOS until I remembered I installed new drivers. Solved the problem. Fastest/Easiest way is to do it, go to 'Device Manager' right click your GPU under 'Display Adapters', go to 'Properties', 'Driver' tab and click Roll Back.

Problem Solved!

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

10 hours ago, tomswife said:

Yes, the same thing happened to me (Vega 56). I just rolled back my drivers. I thought it was in part to me messing around in the BIOS until I remembered I installed new drivers. Solved the problem. Fastest/Easiest way is to do it, go to 'Device Manager' right click your GPU under 'Display Adapters', go to 'Properties', 'Driver' tab and click Roll Back.

Problem Solved!

I can’t get a display out to do that :/

I'm not sure, but the driver I'd installed for my VEGA 64's were from guru3d (official AMD ones) and they did say the driver's meant for VEGA 56/64 only.......

Main Rig: AMD AM4 R9 5900X (12C/24T) + Tt Water 3.0 ARGB 360 AIO | Gigabyte X570 Aorus Xtreme | 2x 16GB Corsair Vengeance DDR4 3600C16 | XFX MERC 310 RX 7900 XTX | 256GB Sabrent Rocket NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 3.0 (OS) | 4TB Lexar NM790 NVMe M.2 PCIe4x4 | 2TB TG Cardea Zero Z440 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Samsung 860 EVO SATA SSD | 2TB Samsung 860 QVO SATA SSD | 6TB WD Black HDD | CoolerMaster H500M | Corsair HX1000 Platinum | Topre Type Heaven + Seenda Ergonomic W/L Vertical Mouse + 8BitDo Ultimate 2.4G | iFi Micro iDSD Black Label | Philips Fidelio B97 | C49HG90DME 49" 32:9 144Hz Freesync 2 | Omnidesk Pro 2020 48" | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

2nd Rig: AMD AM4 R9 3900X + TR PA 120 SE | Gigabyte X570S Aorus Elite AX | 2x 16GB Patriot Viper Elite II DDR4 4000MHz | Sapphire Nitro+ RX 6900 XT | 500GB Crucial P2 Plus NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen 4.0 (OS)2TB Adata Legend 850 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 |  2TB Kingston NV2 NVMe M.2 PCIe Gen4x4 | 4TB Leven JS600 SATA SSD | 2TB Seagate HDD | Keychron K2 + Logitech G703 | SOLDAM XR-1 Black Knight | Enermax MAXREVO 1500 | 64bit Win11 Pro 23H2

1 hour ago, Swordhero1 said:

I have yet to try on win10 but should be able to boot into something like a safe mode by pressing something in the very startup to give boot options like it once was. Do that , boot safe, and roll back drivers. 

Screenshot_2018-12-14-18-46-24.png

Having similar issues but not exactly the same. Bought a rx vega 56 like two weeks ago, and upgraded to the new driver this friday and it killed my gpu. It freezes under the tinyest load. It even displayed a total death screen once with wierd lines across the screen and that frozen pc-sound from the speakers. Tried ddu and older drivers, didnt work. Tried reseating the gpu several times, and that did nothing. Luckily i didnt sell my old graphics card so i use that instead. Guess i gotta try to get a replacement vega tomorrow...

5 hours ago, Mkal666 said:

Having similar issues but not exactly the same. Bought a rx vega 56 like two weeks ago, and upgraded to the new driver this friday and it killed my gpu. It freezes under the tinyest load. It even displayed a total death screen once with wierd lines across the screen and that frozen pc-sound from the speakers. Tried ddu and older drivers, didnt work. Tried reseating the gpu several times, and that did nothing. Luckily i didnt sell my old graphics card so i use that instead. Guess i gotta try to get a replacement vega tomorrow...

You need to uninstall the radeon software. It happened to me to. Or don't install version 18.12.2. 18.12.1 was working fine for me but then it updated by itself so I just installed it. I doubt you're going to fix the problem with a new card. 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

On 12/14/2018 at 11:42 PM, Swordhero1 said:

Boot in safe mode

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

On 12/13/2018 at 10:39 PM, Swordhero1 said:

I just installed the newest driver for my rx580 and I left while it was installing. I came back to an unresponsive black screen so obviously I just turned my pc on and off (lol) and now I can’t get any video signal to my monitor. Anyone else experiencing this? Have any advice?

Sorry to hear this man, that is a nightmare.  Installing simple drivers botches your rig.  This is why I am not on team Red.  They blow when it comes to drivers, however their hardware is good.  They just have interns working on the drivers lol.  Let this be a lesson, next time try gang green.  :)

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

1 hour ago, Sauron said:

Boot in safe mode

On 12/14/2018 at 3:48 PM, Esper22 said:

I have yet to try on win10 but should be able to boot into something like a safe mode by pressing something in the very startup to give boot options like it once was. Do that , boot safe, and roll back drivers. 

Screenshot_2018-12-14-18-46-24.png

if you get post screen get into safe mode.. if you cant even see the post screens im not sure.

could also make a bootabe USB disc (a recovery tool)  if you have another system that is working

10 minutes ago, Neo-revo said:

if you get post screen get into safe mode.. if you cant even see the post screens im not sure.

If he can't get a post then the driver isn't the problem and the graphics card might have died.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

1 minute ago, Sauron said:

If he can't get a post then the driver isn't the problem and the graphics card might have died.

thats why i said what i did...

trying to diagnose the severity of the no-display issue

@Swordhero1  have  you tried an alternate connector to your GPU?

to see if the update rolled back something weird  like your preferred display connection port

• 2 weeks later...

Ok hey guys sorry for the no response for a while there. Turns out it was a very common issue with my monitor. I tried HDMI and that was working, so I looked up “why is my display port not working” (I know lol but bear with me) and this one video suggested just unplugging the monitor and plugging it back in..??? No way this could work, right? I mean of course I’ve turned the monitor on and off. I tried it, and it worked. The video has a huge number of views and comments saying it worked for them so I guess it’s a common issue??