I was changing psu fan and the screws were completely stripped

BDMD

So I posted another thread 2 or 3 weeks ago maybe not even that long ago and @Princess Cadence helped me out if I remember correctly and She said I needed a new one but the psu was still working so I’m going to still use it I have a fan from another psu to replace it with and I start taking screws out and the outer 2 smaller screws were stripped and now the screwdriver can’t get ahold of anything to replace fan and I can’t get a new psu right now what would be the fix here thanks in advance

7 minutes ago, BDMD said:

So I posted another thread 2 or 3 weeks ago maybe not even that long ago and @Princess Cadence helped me out if I remember correctly and She said I needed a new one but the psu was still working so I’m going to still use it I have a fan from another psu to replace it with and I start taking screws out and the outer 2 smaller screws were stripped and now the screwdriver can’t get ahold of anything to replace fan and I can’t get a new psu right now what would be the fix here thanks in advance

Are you talking about the fan or the screws that hold the casing in place? You can try lghtly prying the screws up while removing.

As usual the obligatory warning if you open then PSU be sure to leave it unplugged for at least an hour and when open do not touch or short any of the capacitors as the charge they hold if any remains can be potentially deadly.  

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Are you talking about the fan or the screws that hold the casing in place? You can try lghtly prying the screws up while removing.

As usual the obligatory warning if you open then PSU be sure to leave it unplugged for at least an hour and when open do not touch or short any of the capacitors as the charge they hold if any remains can be potentially deadly.  

It’s been unplugged for a good 2 days now to be safe but the actual top part holding the casing on so I don’t have the top part pried off yet I can get the metal fan part off but to actually take the fan out I need these 2 screws to come out that are on top so I can pry the top off gently 

1 minute ago, BDMD said:

It’s been unplugged for a good 2 days now to be safe but the actual top part holding the casing on so I don’t have the top part pried off yet I can get the metal fan part off but to actually take the fan out I need these 2 screws to come out that are on top so I can pry the top off gently 

Which PSU are we working with here, is the head of the screw itself stripped?

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Which PSU are we working with here, is the head of the screw itself stripped?

Yeah the head of the actual screw is stripped sadly here’s some pictures can’t figure out the actual name of it though here’s some pictures I took though on the first one the screws I’m talking about are the top left and bottom right ones on the outside 

B155FE5A-9203-4287-808F-29D357619049.jpeg

8FB805FB-62B4-4604-AF38-C747BB658940.jpeg

9 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Yeah the head of the actual screw is stripped sadly here’s some pictures can’t figure out the actual name of it though here’s some pictures I took though on the first one the screws I’m talking about are the top left and bottom right ones on the outside 

That PSU wouldn't be worth saving it's a pretty old unit, over a decade, and looking at it's 1000W bigger brother doesn't inspire great hope.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=70

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That PSU wouldn't be worth saving it's a pretty old unit, over a decade, and looking at it's 1000W bigger brother doesn't inspire great hope.

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=70

What would you recommend then I have a 450 psu but it’s a 20 pin power connected and I need a 24 pin for mobo

Just now, BDMD said:

What would you recommend then I have a 450 psu but it’s a 20 pin power connected and I need a 24 pin for mobo

What are your system specs and components, we can better determine what you require from that.

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

What are your system specs and components, we can better determine what you require from that.

Ryzen 5 2600 

Rx 560 4gb

corsair 16gb 3000mhz

msi b350 pc mate

7 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Ryzen 5 2600 

Rx 560 4gb

corsair 16gb 3000mhz

msi b350 pc mate

That's not super power hungry so something even like an 550W is way more than enough. Some good units are the EVGA G2 or GQ, Corsair CXM (grey).

Here's a good place to start in terms of PSU quality. 

9 hours ago, W-L said:

That's not super power hungry so something even like an 550W is way more than enough. Some good units are the EVGA G2 or GQ, Corsair CXM (grey).

ok thanks update I got another screw out and am still working on the other but i'll look at getting a new one

20 hours ago, W-L said:

Would a 350 work ok on this 

1 minute ago, BDMD said:

Would a 350 work ok on this 

In theory yes but I would be skeptical of a 350W unit being of a decent quality unit. 

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

In theory yes but I would be skeptical of a 350W unit being of a decent quality unit. 

Fair 

2 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Fair 

That being said there are good lower wattage units, if you wanted something like a CXM 450 (grey) wouldn't be a bad option for that hardware selection. 

On 12/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, W-L said:

That being said there are good lower wattage units, if you wanted something like a CXM 450 (grey) wouldn't be a bad option for that hardware selection. 

So found a 400 watt evga white psu would it be any good for this build

5 minutes ago, BDMD said:

So found a 400 watt evga white psu would it be any good for this build

No...

Grab the Corsair CX450M instead. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

That C-Tick is awful. Did they try to create it in MS paint, instead of actually sourcing the mark? I have seen better attempts on no name, ebay crap.

But yeah, replace it, it's a decade old. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be alright for that. If you cannot get that, the Corsair CX450 and CX450M, Be Quiet PurePower 10 or 11 (with or without CM) or Antec Earthwatts Pro would do nicely.

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

6 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

That C-Tick is awful. Did they try to create it in MS paint, instead of actually sourcing the mark? I have seen better attempts on no name, ebay crap.

But yeah, replace it, it's a decade old. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be alright for that. If you cannot get that, the Corsair CX450 and CX450M, Be Quiet PurePower 10 or 11 (with or without CM) or Antec Earthwatts Pro would do nicely.

Thanks