Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

I was changing psu fan and the screws were completely stripped

BDMD
 Share

So I posted another thread 2 or 3 weeks ago maybe not even that long ago and @Princess Cadence helped me out if I remember correctly and She said I needed a new one but the psu was still working so I’m going to still use it I have a fan from another psu to replace it with and I start taking screws out and the outer 2 smaller screws were stripped and now the screwdriver can’t get ahold of anything to replace fan and I can’t get a new psu right now what would be the fix here thanks in advance

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BDMD said:

So I posted another thread 2 or 3 weeks ago maybe not even that long ago and @Princess Cadence helped me out if I remember correctly and She said I needed a new one but the psu was still working so I’m going to still use it I have a fan from another psu to replace it with and I start taking screws out and the outer 2 smaller screws were stripped and now the screwdriver can’t get ahold of anything to replace fan and I can’t get a new psu right now what would be the fix here thanks in advance

Are you talking about the fan or the screws that hold the casing in place? You can try lghtly prying the screws up while removing.

 

As usual the obligatory warning if you open then PSU be sure to leave it unplugged for at least an hour and when open do not touch or short any of the capacitors as the charge they hold if any remains can be potentially deadly.  

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

3 minutes ago, W-L said:

Are you talking about the fan or the screws that hold the casing in place? You can try lghtly prying the screws up while removing.

 

As usual the obligatory warning if you open then PSU be sure to leave it unplugged for at least an hour and when open do not touch or short any of the capacitors as the charge they hold if any remains can be potentially deadly.  

It’s been unplugged for a good 2 days now to be safe but the actual top part holding the casing on so I don’t have the top part pried off yet I can get the metal fan part off but to actually take the fan out I need these 2 screws to come out that are on top so I can pry the top off gently 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, BDMD said:

It’s been unplugged for a good 2 days now to be safe but the actual top part holding the casing on so I don’t have the top part pried off yet I can get the metal fan part off but to actually take the fan out I need these 2 screws to come out that are on top so I can pry the top off gently 

Which PSU are we working with here, is the head of the screw itself stripped?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, W-L said:

Which PSU are we working with here, is the head of the screw itself stripped?

Yeah the head of the actual screw is stripped sadly here’s some pictures can’t figure out the actual name of it though here’s some pictures I took though on the first one the screws I’m talking about are the top left and bottom right ones on the outside 

B155FE5A-9203-4287-808F-29D357619049.jpeg

8FB805FB-62B4-4604-AF38-C747BB658940.jpeg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Yeah the head of the actual screw is stripped sadly here’s some pictures can’t figure out the actual name of it though here’s some pictures I took though on the first one the screws I’m talking about are the top left and bottom right ones on the outside 

That PSU wouldn't be worth saving it's a pretty old unit, over a decade, and looking at it's 1000W bigger brother doesn't inspire great hope.

 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=70

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, W-L said:

That PSU wouldn't be worth saving it's a pretty old unit, over a decade, and looking at it's 1000W bigger brother doesn't inspire great hope.

 

http://www.jonnyguru.com/modules.php?name=NDReviews&op=Story&reid=70

What would you recommend then I have a 450 psu but it’s a 20 pin power connected and I need a 24 pin for mobo

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, BDMD said:

What would you recommend then I have a 450 psu but it’s a 20 pin power connected and I need a 24 pin for mobo

What are your system specs and components, we can better determine what you require from that.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

10 minutes ago, W-L said:

What are your system specs and components, we can better determine what you require from that.

Ryzen 5 2600 

Rx 560 4gb

corsair 16gb 3000mhz

msi b350 pc mate

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Ryzen 5 2600 

Rx 560 4gb

corsair 16gb 3000mhz

msi b350 pc mate

That's not super power hungry so something even like an 550W is way more than enough. Some good units are the EVGA G2 or GQ, Corsair CXM (grey).

 

 

Here's a good place to start in terms of PSU quality. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

9 hours ago, W-L said:

That's not super power hungry so something even like an 550W is way more than enough. Some good units are the EVGA G2 or GQ, Corsair CXM (grey).

 

 

Here's a good place to start in terms of PSU quality. 

 

ok thanks update I got another screw out and am still working on the other but i'll look at getting a new one

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

20 hours ago, W-L said:

That's not super power hungry so something even like an 550W is way more than enough. Some good units are the EVGA G2 or GQ, Corsair CXM (grey).

 

 

Here's a good place to start in terms of PSU quality. 

 

Would a 350 work ok on this 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 minutes ago, W-L said:

In theory yes but I would be skeptical of a 350W unit being of a decent quality unit. 

Fair 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

2 minutes ago, BDMD said:

Fair 

That being said there are good lower wattage units, if you wanted something like a CXM 450 (grey) wouldn't be a bad option for that hardware selection. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/14/2018 at 7:54 PM, W-L said:

That being said there are good lower wattage units, if you wanted something like a CXM 450 (grey) wouldn't be a bad option for that hardware selection. 

So found a 400 watt evga white psu would it be any good for this build

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 minutes ago, BDMD said:

So found a 400 watt evga white psu would it be any good for this build

No...

Grab the Corsair CX450M instead. https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16817139146

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

That C-Tick is awful. Did they try to create it in MS paint, instead of actually sourcing the mark? I have seen better attempts on no name, ebay crap.

 

But yeah, replace it, it's a decade old. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be alright for that. If you cannot get that, the Corsair CX450 and CX450M, Be Quiet PurePower 10 or 11 (with or without CM) or Antec Earthwatts Pro would do nicely.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, Spotty said:

 

6 hours ago, Comic_Sans_MS said:

That C-Tick is awful. Did they try to create it in MS paint, instead of actually sourcing the mark? I have seen better attempts on no name, ebay crap.

 

But yeah, replace it, it's a decade old. A Be Quiet System Power 9 would be alright for that. If you cannot get that, the Corsair CX450 and CX450M, Be Quiet PurePower 10 or 11 (with or without CM) or Antec Earthwatts Pro would do nicely.

Thanks 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×