Clicking "Check for Updates" in Windows 10 Makes You Download "Preview" Patches - Says Microsoft

LAwLz
2 hours ago, mr moose said:

But I was thinking about all the "help me" threads you get after an android update, ios update or  the MAC and windows updates in general. 

i follow the macOS, Linux and everything non-Windows subforum, and i rarely get a notification from it. and even more rarely about an update breaking stuff. 

the Windows subforum however... well... 

She/Her

19 minutes ago, firelighter487 said:

i follow the macOS, Linux and everything non-Windows subforum, and i rarely get a notification from it. and even more rarely about an update breaking stuff. 

That's down to two factors:

1. Ratio of Windows users to users of any other OS
  2. This forum sucks for information, and that's especially true if you're not a Windows user.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

2 hours ago, mr moose said:

I never actually thought about steam.  Which I have to admit you never really hear about those issues regarding updates, but fuck me they can have a few everywhere else in the system. But I was thinking about all the "help me" threads you get after an android update, ios update or  the MAC and windows updates in general.  I've had issues with ubisoft, origin and blizzard.  Sony hasn't been the greatest experience. So I just put it down to the whole system including the internet, the vast variance in users and systems and the god knows what between us and the server that might be causing issues.

When there is an issue with a game update, people complain at Nvidia/AMD or the game company. No one complain that Steam forced the game update. I don't know if it because people tend to leave Steam open and Steam update on the back, and people forget about it, or because they enjoy their games, it doesn't come to mind that the studio screwed things up.

2 hours ago, GoodBytes said:

When there is an issue with a game update, people complain at Nvidia/AMD or the game company. No one complain that Steam forced the game update. I don't know if it because people tend to leave Steam open and Steam update on the back, and people forget about it, or because they enjoy their games, it doesn't come to mind that the studio screwed things up.

Steam does not force updates. You can turn automatic updates off if you want.

4 hours ago, LAwLz said:

Steam does not force updates. You can turn automatic updates off if you want.

For the games but not Steam itself....

"We also blind small animals with cosmetics.
We do not sell cosmetics. We just blind animals."

"Please don't mistake us for Equifax. Those fuckers are evil"

This PSA brought to you by Equifacks.
PMSL

8 hours ago, firelighter487 said:

I look outside this forum.  Every time I have to fault find one of the multiple IOS or Android device in this house I have to wade through pages of problems before I find someone with a similar problem. 

I should mention it's general the same with mac but you have to go to a mac-centric forum for decent help with those, places like this are not very helpful when it comes to mac problems, there just aren't enough enthusiast users here.

Grammar and spelling is not indicative of intelligence/knowledge.  Not having the same opinion does not always mean lack of understanding.  

12 hours ago, GoldenLag said:

If you dont go looking for update or update to the very latest version of Windows by the use of insider programs or other methods.

Odds are that you are going to have a pretty nice experience.

But Microsoft make disable Windows automatic update pain in the ass. You can't disable automatic update if you are not on the Pro. On Home version, registry editor doesn't work. 

3 minutes ago, Fah Q said:

But Microsoft make disable Windows automatic update pain in the ass. You can't disable automatic update if you are not on the Pro. On Home version, registry editor doesn't work. 

again, if you only do the strictly neccesary updates, then you are unlikely to run into issues. 

1 hour ago, GoldenLag said:

again, if you only do the strictly neccesary updates, then you are unlikely to run into issues. 

Microsoft doesn't let us pick which update to install on Windows 10. They push out the update, and we install whatever update they push out whether it is a minor update or an upgrade version update. Windows Update will download and install silently. 

The biggest problem is we don't have control on Windows automatic update. We have to block the service through the firewall or the router.