Youtube Rewind 2018 ironically becomes Worlds most disliked video on it's own platform

Rewind , aka f*ck go back!

image.png.9a33a4cab3caf4c8a4df243fc191bbb3.png & counting

You knew the thing was doomed when it intro ed from Will-Smith & transitioned to Fortnight.

dims.jpg.20d851fdbb5065c35b7d98983236fe84.jpg

Imagine creating an "open" "free" content creation & distribution platform , push it to the top of the the most reliable service providers for ordinary folks for years & years & later one day you went on making an Original Content video on your own platform years later & then have it be the most disliked video ever on the same platform that you created. introducing Youtube Rewind 2018! scoring in a whopping 10 mill 11 mill+ dislikes in under 7 days off of it's release. The video racked up 120 million views as of now. The video got hit hard by viewers who dislike the video . to scale, Previous record holder , Justin Biebers "Baby" Music video took over 7 years to rack up close to this level of dislikes.

willdislike.PNG.f226e993b22346cf5f57b7f66bbb5b94.PNG

Youtube rewind is an Annual video mashup from Youtube itself which celebrates the platforms best content creators & it's most prominent & pinnacle content creators, recapping that years best biggest & most notable contents , trends, music & others of that year , it's usually presented in style by that years most prominent content creators in the platform involves musical, skits, choreography & such to present that years highlights.

However this time around , it had a minor set back as it was set to be the most popular by the content creators ,  but ironically ended up being the worst most disliked video on the parent platform itself ,  according to viewer ratings on dislike. it's currently the worlds most dislike Youtube Video.  a record which was previously held by a Justin Bieber music video "Baby" #Surprise  followed by Jake Paul's Music video "it's everyday bro".

youtube-rewind-hed-page-2018.jpg

The Youtube rewind is produced by Youtube & portal A interactive, content each year is posted on it's original channel Youtube Spotlight , The original Youtube rewind was first released in the year 2010 , from then on each year Youtube has produced it's own versions of Rewind for those each corresponding year. racking up mixed reviews & reactions, it was popular at first . but started to decline in popularity as things got too obvious. but it was usually a mix of reactions , depending on the quality of the content they put out. up until now 2017 video was the most disliked with 2 mil down-votes & also the most liked video with 3.9 mill upvotes , but this year it crossed those lines very dramatically racking in a whopping 10 million dislikes & 2.1 million likes , almost an 85% dislike ratio.

Original Video:

Current top 50 most disliked You tube Videos (wikipedia)

203818172_Youtubemostdislikelist.thumb.PNG.a8e61341a65a41c88770102ce99356b0.PNG

"Every year when we release our Rewind video, our number one goal is getting the community to engage with it. This includes liking and disliking the video," a company spokesperson said in an emailed statement.

"With millions of comments, millions of likes and dislikes, and more than 100M views, we're pleased with the results."

Youtube Rewinds  Like to Dislike ratio through out the past years (along with view count)

2010.PNG.0447536c61b029c6ba3928ff3269d5de.PNG

2011.PNG.6870b3fa0c20d91c70cbd99cc02def25.PNG

2012.PNG.4551233a4dd8b1ee636d5a1749280df1.PNG

2013.PNG.82e83122ffc8aceee66fee6ba3515de8.PNG

2014.PNG.84b2d634788ddbbe393117905ad4b421.PNG

2015.PNG.df829ac171c033c229a1129aa9522ea8.PNG

2016.PNG.79cb1dc0c96abe5660b02ca46d175b3d.PNG

2017.PNG.564f7b9de946da60bd6e4fb865eaa16f.PNG

2018.PNG.6af01090b189b86d586f0502f84ad6f2.PNG

The reason why it became the most disliked is a complex issue that looks too simple , Politics , Pushed trends, unpopular personalities , cheesiness , saturation , drama , you name it , it's a plethora of issues haunting it, also subtle issues like avoiding actual popular YouTube figure in it add to the whole mess of things .

Marques brownlee who was also presenter in the video tried to explain it in a sensible way in one of his recent video addressing the issue, blamed disconnection between platform content creator & consumers , also blamed advertisersfor the whole mess.

One of the best things that came out from it was the memes .

So what do you guys think about this? why'd you like or dislike the video?  Linus has never been on one before iircc , so personally don't care much about it being in a bad spot.  leave your comments & rants down below. 

Source : (main)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YbJOTdZBX1g

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_most-disliked_YouTube_videos

News outlet:

https://www.engadget.com/2018/12/13/youtube-rewind-2018-most-disliked-bieber-baby/

https://9to5google.com/2018/12/13/youtube-rewind-2018-hated-dislikes/

https://www.cnet.com/news/youtube-rewind-2018-becomes-sites-most-disliked-video-ever/

https://www.theverge.com/2018/12/13/18137894/youtube-rewind-2018-dislike-shane-dawson-logan-paul-pewdiepie-mkbhd-philip-defranco

https://www.digitaltrends.com/social-media/youtube-rewind-2018-is-about-to-become-the-most-disliked-video-ever/

youtube.PNG

Details separate people.

*laughing tiktok, twitch, floatplane and Bilibili in the distance*

Specs: Motherboard: Asus X470-PLUS TUF gaming (Yes I know it's poor but I wasn't informed) RAM: Corsair VENGEANCE® LPX DDR4 3200Mhz CL16-18-18-36 2x8GB

CPU: Ryzen 9 5900X          Case: Antec P8     PSU: Corsair RM850x                        Cooler: Antec K240 with two Noctura Industrial PPC 3000 PWM

Drives: Samsung 970 EVO plus 250GB, Micron 1100 2TB, Seagate ST4000DM000/1F2168 GPU: EVGA RTX 2080 ti Black edition

No wonder. They crammed so much politics, stupid memes and such into one video. It was doomed from the start.

Main system: Ryzen 7 7800X3D / Asus ROG Strix B650E / G.Skill Trident Z5 NEO 32GB 6000Mhz / Powercolor RX 7900 XTX Red Devil/ EVGA 750W GQ / NZXT H5 Flow

1 minute ago, PopsicleHustler said:

No wonder. They crammed so much politics, stupid memes and such into one video. It was doomed from the start.

Not to mention how little of it was actually shit that was popular on YouTube over the year with the big creators. Damn near the only things that made sense were Marques, Markiplier, and the How Ridiculous! guys (especially the last channel, they exploded this year).

Main rig on profile

VAULT - File Server

Spoiler

Intel Core i5 11400 w/ Shadow Rock LP, 2x16GB SP GAMING 3200MHz CL16, ASUS PRIME Z590-A, 2x LSI 9211-8i, Fractal Define 7, 256GB Team MP33, 3x 6TB WD Red Pro (general storage), 3x 1TB Seagate Barracuda (dumping ground), 3x 8TB WD White-Label (Plex) (all 3 arrays in their respective Windows Parity storage spaces), Corsair RM750x, Windows 11 Education

Sleeper HP Pavilion A6137C

Spoiler

Intel Core i7 6700K @ 4.4GHz, 4x8GB G.SKILL Ares 1800MHz CL10, ASUS Z170M-E D3, 128GB Team MP33, 1TB Seagate Barracuda, 320GB Samsung Spinpoint (for video capture), MSI GTX 970 100ME, EVGA 650G1, Windows 10 Pro

Mac Mini (Late 2020)

Spoiler

Apple M1, 8GB RAM, 256GB, macOS Sonoma

Consoles: Softmodded 1.4 Xbox w/ 500GB HDD, Xbox 360 Elite 120GB Falcon, XB1X w/2TB MX500, Xbox Series X, PS1 1001, PS2 Slim 70000 w/ FreeMcBoot, PS4 Pro 7015B 1TB (retired), PS5 Digital, Nintendo Switch OLED, Nintendo Wii RVL-001 (black)

4 minutes ago, PopsicleHustler said:

I know it was going downhill as soon as Will Smith said "Fortnite".

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Politics. Thats what killed it. 

Rewinds were good when it was just a smash of all the meme content from the year. Like I am glad drag has made its way and chinese people are getting recognized.  It but I dont care in a rewind video. 

Give me my memes.

2 minutes ago, flibberdipper said:

Not to mention how little of it was actually shit that was popular on YouTube over the year with the big creators. Damn near the only things that made sense were Marques, Markiplier, and the How Ridiculous! guys (especially the last channel, they exploded this year).

They should have had the HR crew drop anvils on the YouTube HQ from a blimp. Would have done better.

22 minutes ago, Tech_Dreamer said:

a record which was previously held by a Justin Bieber music video "Baby"

well you know he is happy that it isnt the most hated video now

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*  Quote for a reply  *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

✧・゚: *✧・゚:*   Ask for discord   *:・゚✧*:・゚✧

They played it safe- and by safe i mean only included "content creators" who are recognizable by 0.1% of the YouTube audience, all in the name of "family friendly". As such, they got the boot- hard.

Didn't like it. I don't know what the editor thought when they looked over it, but they need to be fired. It just feels so out of touch and garbage. Not to mention Ninja is a Twitch streamer, not a YouTuber, he shouldn't be there. (He's also cringe)

I forgot the infinite warfare trailer was still top 5

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

9 minutes ago, RorzNZ said:

It just feels so out of touch

Thats a good way to put it. My main content platform is youtube and when I only know like 5 out of the 100 creators or a couple references then how is it about the most popular videos on youtube at that point? 

To play devils advocate, they had a lot of non-US youtubers which I would never know about to begin with, but my point still stands.

YouTube tried to play it "safe" by excluding YouTubers that had any sort of past controversy in the video. This was incredibly stupid because they went super risky by forcing politics into the video. People love controversy, hence why Pewdiepie is still has the most subscriptions of any other channel.. People like those YouTubers who aren't afraid to be human. People didn't like the corporate bullshit this rewind had to offer.

YouTube lost its relevance when it started prioritizing clickbait, low-quality stuff that drives viewcounts higher and higher rather than on the quality that many of its partners have been releasing.

Yes, it gets more views, which leads to higher advertising revenue, but these can only last so long.

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

51 minutes ago, Genericplane said:

They played it safe- and by safe i mean only included "content creators" who are recognizable by 0.1% of the YouTube audience, all in the name of "family friendly". As such, they got the boot- hard.

I recognized a lot more than I thought I would.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

I feel bad for Will Smith and what YouTube forced him to say in that Rewind.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

It was a hard cringefest. I don't hate Will Smith, but he's Hollywood, this is suppose to be about normal people becoming famous on Youtube. I never heard of Ninja guy, but I heard he's a big thing in Fortnite. On TWITCH. He literally just uploads streams from Twitch on Youtube. Or Casey shilling Kpop. What the hell he has to do with Kpop? It was a really weird thing...

1 hour ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

I know it was going downhill as soon as Will Smith said "Fortnite".

Not if you're @PCGuy_5960.