Can not pick a laptop to save my life, help me choose.

Infernalz

I've been trying to pick just the perfect laptop and I never can actually pull the trigger on things like this. I've been looking for a 1070/80, 15"+ screen, ~16GB RAM, lit keyboard (doesn't have to be full RGB), and refresh rate at 120+, preferably g-sync but it is a laptop so that's not a guarantee to get but also not a deal breaker to not. Storage would be nice to have just m.2 so the area where some SSD/HDD would go is filled with battery, and I lived with 256GB SSD on my desktop so that can be more than fine on a laptop. I can go ~$2500 unless there's a god of laptops that needs more. Unfortunately there's never a laptop that checks all the boxes and be perfect despite the list of what that would look like has to be out there somewhere. Right now I'm stuck on:

ASUS ROG Strix SCAR II

GIGABYTE Aero 15X

MSI GS65 Stealth

Razer RZ09-02386E91-R3U1

ROG Zephyrus GX501

I could narrow it down to the MSI GS65 of the Gigabyte Aero but those five showed up when putting in the different aspects I wanted. I never really considered Razer but if it's great I'd take it, I just don't hear good things about them anymore. I'd consider the Aero over the GS65 right now but I near bad things on the initial set up, but hey if it can be fixed that is fine.

Is there something I'm missing? Even just watching LTT videos on laptops I don't really see newer videos on laptops that that give a good review to consider buying and the top two I'm stuck on there are over a year old.

This stuff is way out of my depth please help.

I would get Zephy

I'm gonna go find my own tech support...

with BLACKJACK and HOOKERS!

(Welcome to LTT Forums)

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Usage?

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Montech Century 850W Gold Tecware Nexus Air (Black) ATX Mid Tower

Laptop: Lenovo Ideapad 5 Pro 16ACH6

Phone: Xiaomi Redmi Note 10 Pro 8+128

17 minutes ago, GeneXiS_X said:

Preferred max weight in kg/lbs and min battery life in hours? Usage?

Weight I never really considered a deciding factor, I'd much rather have power than give it up for it to be a bit lighter. Though not carrying around a Acer Predator 21 X with 19 pounds is preferred.

Battery is hard to quantify, nothing is going to be what everyone wants with even six hours gaming but I'd like to game somewhat for a few hours on a train if needed. Like four to five in just basic video watching/internet is desired.

I'm not going to be editing anything on this, just games on the go when I'm away from my desktop. I don't need some desktop killer laptop so long as I can not be drawn out of the game with having to use low settings, and I'm addicted to my 144hz monitor so taking advantage of a laptop one would be nice. Then again, it's a laptop, I don't expect it to be better than a desktop.

Any more insights here? This is still killing me.

I'd get the GS65. It is the most thin and light, proven to have good thermals and nice build quality contrary to what MSI is perceived for. You won't regret it. (But do a fresh install of windows upon arrival) bloatware is bad.

Hearing your needs I think you'd be happiest with this. In a few years all of these hardware will go out of fashion. But your laptop will still be a thin and light, so it has the right to be a bit dated in hardware-- but currently, it is pretty much as good as it gets in thin and lights. Thin and light is the new theme. 

24 minutes ago, gengyuntx said:

I'd get the GS65. It is the most thin and light, proven to have good thermals and nice build quality contrary to what MSI is perceived for

Bad cooling and flimsy build quality

Desktop specs:

Spoiler

AMD Ryzen 5 5600 Thermalright Peerless Assassin 120 SE ARGB Gigabyte B550M DS3H mATX

Asrock Challenger Pro OC Radeon RX 6700 XT Corsair Vengeance LPX 16GB (8Gx2) 3600MHz CL18 Kingston NV2 1TB PCIe 4.0 NVMe SSD

Just now, GeneXiS_X said:

Bad cooling and flimsy build quality

No. Got proof online just search it and went in store and tested it out. The build quality is not bad AT ALL. Don’t assume. 

13 hours ago, Infernalz said:

4-5 in just basic video watching/internet is desired.

If weight doesn't matter much, try to avoid thin and lights since most of them have worse cooling

GSYNC kills battery life, therefore 4-5 hrs of battery life is hard to be achieved

Here are some good options with 1070 GPU (no Max-Q):

Asus G703GS

Acer Predator Helios 500

MSI GT75

HP Omen 17t

MSI GT63

Aorus X5 v8

Asus Zephyrus M GM501GS - with Optimus switch

*MSI GE63/GE73/GP63/GP73

AW15, AW17 - optional non GSYNC panel

*without GSYNC

Just now, gengyuntx said:

No. Got proof online just search it and went in store and tested it out. The build quality is not bad AT ALL. Don’t assume. 

I'm not assuming. I've tested it before. Reviews also say the same thing. If you disagree with me, just ignore my comment. Don't want to start an argument here.

Desktop specs:

Spoiler