What is the cushion in my HDD?

Alexokratis

Hi, 

I just opend my HDD (don't ask why) and I found this weird little white cushion.

Does anyone know what what this thing thing is for?

20181213_145558.jpg

20181213_145606.jpg

20181213_145608.jpg

5 minutes ago, Alexokratis said:

Hi, 

I just opend my HDD (don't ask why) and I found this weird little white cushion.

Does anyone know what what this thing thing is for?

20181213_145558.jpg

20181213_145606.jpg

20181213_145608.jpg

A: why did You open your HDD

B: it’s likely vibration dampening

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

That's not a cushion. It's a filter.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

Just now, Grockle88 said:

A: why did You open your HDD

B: it’s likely vibration dampening

It didn't work anymore so I just thought to my self "why not :D" and opened it :D

Just now, Imbellis said:

That's not a cushion. It's a filter.

What does it filter?

Just now, Alexokratis said:

What does it filter?

Air.

Beyond that sarcastic comment, I'm not sure exactly what it's meant to filter out. My guess it's meant to filter the particles left over from the production process that could be sealed inside of the HDD.

Fan Comparisons          F@H          PCPartPicker         Analysis of Market Trends (Coming soon? Never? Who knows!)

Designing a mITX case. Working on aluminum prototypes.

Open for intern / part-time. Good at maths, CAD and airflow stuff. Dabbled with Python.

Please fill out this form! It helps a ton! https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/841400-the-poll-to-end-all-polls-poll/

I think it is a dust filter, and on the other side of it is the breathing hole for the drive (so that nothing bad happens if you move the drive to different elevations, like if it was made at sea level and then you transported it to like Colorado or something)

Specs: CPU: AMD Ryzen R7 3700X @4.4Ghz, GPU: Gigabyte RX 5700 XT, RAM: 32 GB (2x 8GB Trident Z Royal + 2x 8GB TForce Vulkan Z) @3000Mhz, Motherboard: ASRock B550m Steel Legend, Storage: 1x WD Black 1Tb NVMe (boot) + 1x Samsung 860 QVO 1Tb SSD (storage), Case: Thermaltake Core V21, Cooler: Noctua NH-D15

I'm thinking it's a shock thing, some HDDs lock up if they notice a dramatic change in G force

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's a filter. As the drive gets warm with use the air inside expands. There's a little valve on the drive to let excess volumes of air out. Then when the drive cools down again a small amount of air flows back in through the valve. The filter is there to ensure that no dust gets sucked into the internal working of the drive when the air flows back in during cool-down.

2 minutes ago, DezGalbie said:

It's a filter. As the drive gets warm with use the air inside expands. There's a little valve on the drive to let excess volumes of air out. Then when the drive cools down again a small amount of air flows back in through the valve. The filter is there to ensure that no dust gets sucked into the internal working of the drive when the air flows back in during cool-down.

Also, as the platters spin around, they're likely to spin any left-over fine particles around the inside of the case, around that metal tab and into the filter.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

4 minutes ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

I'm thinking it's a shock thing, some HDDs lock up if they notice a dramatic change in G force

No, that's not cushioning and placing it there would do jack shit for dampening.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

1 hour ago, WereCatf said:

No, that's not cushioning and placing it there would do jack shit for dampening.

Ofc that's not what it is, I ment that that could be a sensor for when shock is high enough to damage the drive. I doubt it's that tbh but that's what came to mind

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 hour ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ofc that's not what it is, I ment that that could be a sensor for when shock is high enough to damage the drive. I doubt it's that tbh but that's what came to mind

I'm going to assume that you're not very familiar with electronics; a basic accelerometer is about 3-5 mm by 3-5mm by 1-2 mm in size and it'd be mounted on the PCB. It's not a huge, white pillow and there's no reason for it to be inside the metal case.