Possible to force fanless mode on 1060 mini?

Hi everyone,

I recently bought a used Zotac 1060 mini (3gb) for my new build. I wasn't very lucky, I think the card was used for crypto mining. The thing is, even at idle, where the fan is running at minimum speed (40%) it makes quite the annoying sound. I tried unscrewing the heatsink to clean it (thinking that might be the reason for the noise, but someone must have done it before and screwed it in too hard, so there's one screw I cannot turn. I unscrewed the top fan to see if it was loose but it wasn't. Afterburner doesn't let me go below 40% fan speed either.

My question is, I've been reading around a bit about bios editing and flashing, is there anyone who can give me links to proper guides for editing the bios of a 1060 and how to lower the minimum speed? I don't really mind the temperatures at idle (they're actually good), and I don't mind the noise when I'm gaming.

I would move the gpu fan to the motherboard, but I only have one 4 pin fan controller which is taken up by my cpu cooler. I have ordered a fan controller to hook up to that, but it's not what I would call an "elegant" solution, plus I don't know if I can set that to follow gpu temperatures for fan speed.

Any help is appreciated, thank you

Just now, GoldenLag said:

just change the fancurve in software........

msi afterburner can be used for that to give an example

6 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

i didnt remembe the name in the spur of the moment

for reference. BIOS modding is more or less reserved for overclocking AMD cards way beyond what they are meant to.

7 minutes ago, LukeSavenije said:

8 minutes ago, GoldenLag said:

just change the fancurve in software........

I have a zotac mini (1080ti thought). And the fan curve is locked, you can't change it lower than 40% with any software.

You would probably need bios mods to do that.

But my card is silent at idle even with the 40% fan speed.

I only see your reply if you @ me.

This reply/comment was generated by AI.

LoL guys, yeah, the fan curve obviously is of no use since it can't go below 40%. The fan speed is locked in the GPU Bios.

Does anyone know if there's a tool to edit Nvidia BIOS?