Do I need 7.1 surround sound headphones?

ch3w2oy

Or does my motherboard have good enough audio? 

I was trying my galaxy s9 headphones the other day and they sounded really good. Like real surround sound. Keep in mind I am not an audiophile and an not familiar with it at all. Is that because of the audio on my motherboard?  I broke the headphones right after that so I can't test them on my phone now. 

Motherboard is x470 Crosshair vii.

What got me thinking was the headphones I just bought says virtual, meaning software supported 7.1. But maybe I could have just gotten regular headphones and still gotten the surround sound. There's no way the galaxy s9 headphones sounded that good by themselves. 

Now I'm confused. I don't know what's what. Can someone shed some light? 

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

18 hours ago, tomswife said:

I was trying my galaxy s9 headphones the other day and they sounded really good. Like real surround sound. Keep in mind I am not an audiophile and an not familiar with it at all. Is that because of the audio on my motherboard?  I broke the headphones right after that so I can't test them on my phone now. 

What got me thinking was the headphones I just bought says virtual, meaning software supported 7.1. But maybe I could have just gotten regular headphones and still gotten the surround sound. There's no way the galaxy s9 headphones sounded that good by themselves. 

Normally, stereo only has 2 directions, left and right. In games, the panning of audio can also give you some directional information, but overall using stereo and panning is still very limited. For the ideal amount of directionality on headphones, you have to use something called HRTFs. Most applications will lack this option, but will have 7.1 output available, so you can use virtual 7.1 headphone processing to give you HRTFs for those applications.

d

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

19 hours ago, tomswife said:

Now adays the onboard audio is very high quality and you really cant tell the difference between them and creative cards etc.  Plugging into minijack on mobo would give you goo results grantid the speakiers or headphones are high quality.  For 7.1 sound grab a Megalodon used.  It is usb and has its own pod with sexy colors.. and you can adjust the front and center and sides and  rear and sub volume levels.  Great bang for the buck.  Razer makes usless pos mouse but their headsets are good.

Asus Sabertooth x79 / 4930k @ 4500 @ 1.408v / Gigabyte WF 2080 RTX / Corsair VG 64GB @ 1866 & AX1600i & H115i Pro @ 2x Noctua NF-A14 / Carbide 330r Blackout

Scarlett 2i2 Audio Interface / KRK Rokits 10" / Sennheiser HD 650 / Logitech G Pro Wireless Mouse & G915 Linear & G935 & C920 / SL 88 Grand / Cakewalk / NF-A14 Int P12 Ex
AOC 40" 4k Curved / LG 55" OLED C9 120hz / LaCie Porsche Design 2TB & 500GB / Samsung 950 Pro 500GB / 850 Pro 500GB / Crucial m4 500GB / Asus M.2 Card

On 12/13/2018 at 12:37 AM, tomswife said:

7.1 headphones are all software trickery, you cant get true 7.1 from two drivers. I never recommend surround sound headphones. Just never buy them.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

On 12/12/2018 at 4:37 PM, tomswife said:

S9 Ear buds (AKG tuned ones) are actually decent for a pair that are included with a phone.. they retail at $100.00 USD to replace (I Think). 

I have compared them to a few headphones and for iems I thought they were a little bass heavy but more than enjoyable and great for games. 

7.1 is all software based you do not need a "7.1 GAMING HEADSET" its just an over marketed cheap stereo headphone with a mic that your spending your money on.  

Your best bet is to purchase a regular set of headphones and if you wish to try some virtual surround or HRTF settings you can easily do so by downloading software or switching your in game settings. In my experience playing competitive CS:GO, Battlefield 5, PUBG etc I have always found I can identify footsteps etc easiest in good old STEREO at the end of the day its all personal preference audio is very subjective.

Good entry level closed back headphones to look into are:

Status Audio CB-1

Audio-Technica M40X w/ Brainwaves Hm5 Angled pads (Must do upgrade)

Cheers.

3 minutes ago, Tz000 said:

S9 Ear buds (AKG tuned ones) are actually decent for a pair that are included with a phone.. they retail at $100.00 USD to replace (I Think). 

I have compared them to a few headphones and for iems I thought they were a little bass heavy but more than enjoyable and great for games. 

7.1 is all software based you do not need a "7.1 GAMING HEADSET" its just an over marketed cheap stereo headphone with a mic that your spending your money on.  

Your best bet is to purchase a regular set of headphones and if you wish to try some virtual surround or HRTF settings you can easily do so by downloading software or switching your in game settings. In my experience playing competitive CS:GO, Battlefield 5, PUBG etc I have always found I can identify footsteps etc easiest in good old STEREO at the end of the day its all personal preference audio is very subjective.

Good entry level closed back headphones to look into are:

Status Audio CB-1

Audio-Technica M40X w/ Brainwaves Hm5 Angled pads (Must do upgrade)

Cheers.

Thanks, I just bought the Corsair HS60 for $35 on sale. Even tho their 7.1, they were still cheaper than most pairs. They don't sound as good as the S9 headphones did, but they're pretty damn good (not sure about the 7.1 in general, but good headphones for that price).

Ryzen 3800X + MEG ACE w/ Radeon VII + 3733 c14 Trident Z RGB in a Custom Loop powered by Seasonic Prime Ultra Titanium
PSU Tier List | Motherboard Tier List | My Build

1 hour ago, tomswife said:

Thanks, I just bought the Corsair HS60 for $35 on sale. Even tho their 7.1, they were still cheaper than most pairs. They don't sound as good as the S9 headphones did, but they're pretty damn good (not sure about the 7.1 in general, but good headphones for that price).

You can always use them in stereo vs 7.1 to compare I'm sure this option can be found within the software included.   At the base of it they are just a pair of headphones nothing makes them "7.1" other than the software included with them.  

Long time ago I had a Barracuda . it had 4 physical cones in each ear muff.  Then after that they went to USB and gave 7.1 sound.  Get a Tiamat 7.1 sighs