SSD Disappearing in Windows

RGGG

Hi all,

I recently picked up a new Lenovo Legion Y720, core i7, 1060, 256gb. (No secondary disk)

Knowing that the laptop has a second empty drive bay, I also picked up the required motherboard to SATA cable and a Samsung Evo 860 SSD.

Prior to installing the new SSD, I installed it in a spare external enclosure and set it up a single partition GPT drive using my old PC. I copied the files I needed to the drive and then installed it in the Y720.

Drive works great, no issues reading or writing to it in the new laptop, except Windows seems to fail to recognize the drive after a restart and sometimes on power up. Usually shutting down the machine and rebooting fixes the issue. When the drive “disappears” it’s not seen in either device manager or disk management. Partition Magic and Samsung’s utility don’t see it either, it’s as if it doesn’t exist to Windows. The drive is still recognized in the BIOS though, so it doesn’t appear to be hardware related.

I updated the drives firmware and all updates on my PC too, but I can’t seem to isolate what may be causing this. It doesn’t seem to be consistent, I can restart and shut down 10 times and it might occur 1-2, other times it happens more.

Kinda at a loss. Any ideas?

It's the cable.  Shitty ones (the 5 / $1 ebay specials)  will drop out or only allow 3Gbps.

Workstation:  13700k @ 5.5Ghz || Gigabyte Z790 Ultra || MSI Gaming Trio 4090 Shunt || TeamGroup DDR5-7800 @ 7000 || Corsair AX1500i@240V || whole-house loop.

LANRig/GuestGamingBox: 9900nonK || Gigabyte Z390 Master || ASUS TUF 3090 650W shunt || Corsair SF600 || CPU+GPU watercooled 280 rad pull only || whole-house loop.

Server Router (Untangle): 13600k @ Stock || ASRock Z690 ITX || All 10Gbe || 2x8GB 3200 || PicoPSU 150W 24pin + AX1200i on CPU|| whole-house loop

Server Compute/Storage: 10850K @ 5.1Ghz || Gigabyte Z490 Ultra || EVGA FTW3 3090 1000W || LSI 9280i-24 port || 4TB Samsung 860 Evo, 5x10TB Seagate Enterprise Raid 6, 4x8TB Seagate Archive Backup ||  whole-house loop.

Laptop: HP Elitebook 840 G8 (Intel 1185G7) + 3080Ti Thunderbolt Dock, Razer Blade Stealth 13" 2017 (Intel 8550U)

I had thought perhaps the same, although this is Lenovo’s official adapter cable (keep in mind this is a laptop, so it’s a flat ribbon/ribbon  cable to SATA connector)