Should I void my warranty to upgrade my prebuilt?

boey
Go to solution Solved by Giganthrax,

How well-off are you?

If you can afford to replace parts yourself if something breaks and you no longer have warranty, then screw the warranty. 

If not, wait the warranty out, then take the CPU & GPU, and use them as the basis for a brand new DIY system. 

3 minutes ago, _d0nut said:

I was told by a Dell employee on the forums that they strongly discourage me from doing my own upgrades.

That's just salesmanship, he really only wants your money.

Dell made the system, it makes perfect sense that their employees would tell you to buy their replacement parts and have their technician fix it for you.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // Join Floatplane!

Just now, _d0nut said:

I was told by a Dell employee on the forums that they strongly discourage me from doing my own upgrades.

That doesn't mean it voids warranties. They probably just went with the assumption a random person doesn't have computer tinkering skills and they don't want to deal with the rando coming back demanding warranty support if they broke the thing.

Just now, _d0nut said:

Also, I plan to change a lot of the main body, instead if it being an Alienware prebuilt with some custom parts it would be a PC with some alienware parts. Dunno if that’s possible. Also I’d likely need to sell my old Alienware parts to get enough money to do the necessary upgrades.

As far as I know, Dell has used standard parts since the late 2000s.

1 minute ago, M.Yurizaki said:

As far as I know, Dell has used standard parts since the late 2000s.

Majority of parts are standard, form factors usually are not.

If a post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Just now, M.Yurizaki said:

Ah right, they're one of the holdouts of BTX.

But I think Alienware models are still ATX.

Some kind of ATX, yeah.

Dell is notorious for having wonky PSU and motherboard shapes though, so I'm not too confident personally. One of my friends has the Aurora, and I took a pretty good look at the inside(as well as I could for online pictures and videos), it seems pretty proprietary to me.

How well-off are you?

If you can afford to replace parts yourself if something breaks and you no longer have warranty, then screw the warranty. 

If not, wait the warranty out, then take the CPU & GPU, and use them as the basis for a brand new DIY system. 

Ryzen 1600x @4GHz

Asus GTX 1070 8GB @1900MHz

16 GB HyperX DDR4 @3000MHz

Asus Prime X370 Pro

Samsung 860 EVO 500GB

Noctua NH-U14S

Seasonic M12II 620W

+ four different mechanical drives.

8 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

How well-off are you?

I plan on reusing the cpu and gpu in a brand new system, with a b360 board. If the cpu breaks i have enough money for a pentium g5400(temporary fix). If the gpu breaks then I can probably get enough for a gtx 1050 or something. I can also don’t use the PC and save up for a few months, since my national exams are next year.

10 hours ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Some kind of ATX, yeah.

Dell is notorious for having wonky PSU and motherboard shapes though, so I'm not too confident personally. One of my friends has the Aurora, and I took a pretty good look at the inside(as well as I could for online pictures and videos), it seems pretty proprietary to me.

The ram slots on the motherboard only work with certain types of ram, I think it’s only the micron ram it comes with and HyperX Fury 2933Mhz DDR4. I tried with a working kit of TridentZ RGB 3200 and it didn’t work

The 24pin slot on the motherboard isn’t standard as well, my PC has an adapter

It seems like standard mATX though, although the screw holes seem a little off

1 minute ago, _d0nut said:

The ram slots on the motherboard only work with certain types of ram, I think it’s only the micron ram it comes with and HyperX Fury 2933Mhz DDR4. I tried with a working kit of TridentZ RGB 3200 and it didn’t work

The 24pin slot on the motherboard isn’t standard as well, my PC has an adapter

It seems like standard mATX though, although the screw holes seem a little off

Yeah, definitely get a new motherboard.

A lot of OEMs, Dell in particular is known for this, have proprietary form factors or weird little quirks of some kind.

8 hours ago, Giganthrax said:

How well-off are you?

The GPU seems to be an MSI Aero GTX 1070(cooler is exactly the same). But I’ve tried many softwares that tell you the ‘flavour’ of GPU(ie ASUS ROG STRIX, ZOTAC Amp Extreme etc.) and all of them have returned with an error. I think the GPU is some OEM one as well so I should probably replace that after awhile. Looking at 1080Ti level gpu since i’m at 1440p 144Hz

1 minute ago, Crunchy Dragon said:

Yeah, definitely get a new motherboard.

A lot of OEMs, Dell in particular is known for this, have proprietary form factors or weird little quirks of some kind.

Yeah, I had a friend with an acer predator and he had a motherboard with EATX length and ITX height.

Just now, _d0nut said:

Yeah, I had a friend with an acer predator and he had a motherboard with EATX length and ITX height.

Now that's just weird...