Capcom is adding in game advertising into Street Fighter 5

Master Disaster
9 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

games should be allowed to do that, but only when there's manual curation involved (either by vetting or user reports) (also no fullscreen or ad-step. and no sound.)

No, they shouldn't be allowed to do that. They don't get to charge you full price for the game, sell you dlc and microtransactions and then, as if that weren't enough, sell you out to advertisers later on.

1) Sell the game at an upfront price

2) Have day one paid DLC

3) Have microtransactions

4) Show the player ads

pick ONE.

Unfortunately, this disgusting behaviour won't change unless there is a mass boycott. Vote with your wallets; refuse to buy this trash until they stop behaving like greedy pigs.

4 hours ago, Monkey Dust said:

Though maybe this comes around to my super unpopular opinion, it's time AAA games increased in price. AAA games have been around 60USD (depending on local currency) for a very long time, if we want a better experience maybe we should be willing to pay for it upfront? $80, maybe even $100 for something vast like GTA5. No more nickel and diming nonsense with micro transaction and loot boxes in paid for games. I'm not adverse for paying extra for a good expansion though, but season passes can fuck off.

Sure, at least that way one would know upfront exactly how much they'd have to pay for the full experience and the game would not be gutted and unbalanced to encourage microtransactions. But that won't happen - these companies would rather lure people into buying something with a seemingly lower price, then bleed them dry from there.

Although to be completely honest, I'm not even sure they really deserve any more money than the 60$ box price - there are still companies that only ask for that and seem to be doing just fine for themselves (e.g. CDPR). What excuse does Capcom have?

I accept online games present an on going cost for as long as the server is switched on, which needs to be covered.

Regular expansions are more than enough to take care of that.

But on the console side is that not covered by by the Xbox Live/PSplus?

Nope, those are just plain extortion, courtesy of M$ and $ony. They don't pay for any game servers, nor do they pay for the internet infrastructure. They're just a gate keeping leech in the middle. Sure, they try to hide it by offering temporary streaming of old games that wouldn't make them a dime anyway, but that doesn't change the fact they are forcefully charging you for something you don't need to play online. Nintendo just joined them, too - I guess they saw people didn't care, so they might as well rip them off while they can.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*