What is the point of Denial-of-Service attacks, why do people do it?

Geekazoid

As they topic says. Just really would like to know why people or some organisations do this. It's seems just completely stupid and pointless to me.

ON A 7 MONTH BREAK FROM THESE LTT FORUMS. WILL BE BACK ON NOVEMBER 5th.

Advisor in the 'Displays' Sub-forum | Sony Vegas Pro Enthusiast & Advisor

Tech Tips Christian Fellowship Founder & Coordinator 

It's the only way they can get semis.

Intel 4670K /w TT water 2.0 performer, GTX 1070FE, Gigabyte Z87X-DH3, Corsair HX750, 16GB Mushkin 1333mhz, Fractal R4 Windowed, Varmilo mint TKL, Logitech m310, HP Pavilion 23bw, Logitech 2.1 Speakers

No understanding the criminal mind.

80+ ratings certify electrical efficiency. Not quality.

People are dicks.

"A picture is starting to form here... I wonder if it's accurate? Some pieces don't quite seem to fit. Or maybe I just don't like the way it looks."

Usually it's just bored rich kids that rent a botnet for an hour.

Spoiler

As a non hacker member on Hackforums that reads the hacker section once in a while it is usually because they want revenge on somebody. If somebody scams them, they usually DDoS their home network for many many many hours as well as spamming possible phone numbers with SMS's and the more professional hackers on there just hacks their network. Then there are the people that does it for fun....

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Just because they can, and once they can, they cannot stop.

Something wrong with your connection ?

Run the damn cable :)

so people like you wont double post

If your grave doesn't say "rest in peace" on it You are automatically drafted into the skeleton war.

As a non hacker member on Hackforums that reads the hacker section once in a while it is usually because they want revenge on somebody. If somebody scams them, they usually DDoS their home network for many many many hours as well as spamming possible phone numbers with SMS's and the more professional hackers on there just hacks their network. Then there are the people that does it for fun....

I have been curious of these but never found one. What forum do you speak of?

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

I have been curious of these but never found one. What forum do you speak of?

My guess is that he means the website that is called "hackforums.net". I took a look at it and it seems like 80% of the users there are skiddies that want help, 19% are just old exploits (SQL injection, Ping of Death and stuff like that) that won't work on 99.9% of websites/equipment and 1% actual cracking.

OP to answer your question, it depends. Sometimes it is for protesting, sometimes it is for revenge, sometimes it is for money, sometimes it is caused by hatred. It's like asking "why would anyone punch another person?".

My guess is that he means the website that is called "hackforums.net". I took a look at it and it seems like 80% of the users there are skiddies that want help, 19% are just old exploits (SQL injection, Ping of Death and stuff like that) that won't work on 99.9% of websites/equipment and 1% actual cracking.

Ahh. many thanks. 

i5 3570 | MSI GD-65 Gaming | OCZ Vertex 60gb ssd | WD Green 1TB HDD | NZXT Phantom | TP-Link Wifi card | H100 | 5850

“I snort instant coffee because it’s easier on my nose than cocaine"

OP to answer your question, it depends. Sometimes it is for protesting, sometimes it is for revenge, sometimes it is for money, sometimes it is caused by hatred. It's like asking "why would anyone punch another person?".

Yes. Hackforums.net. Awesome community if you go to the webmaster section!

"If violence does not work, try more violence"

Seeing like 300 guests viewing this page...seems suspicious!

i5 4670k @ 4.2GHz (Coolermaster Hyper 212 Evo); ASrock Z87 EXTREME4; 8GB Kingston HyperX Beast DDR3 RAM @ 2133MHz; Asus DirectCU GTX 560; Super Flower Golden King 550 Platinum PSU;1TB Seagate Barracuda;Corsair 200r case. 

In some circumstances a DoS attack can be used to assist in gaining access to a server. although most of the time this is not the case, it is possible for some network security devices to fail open allowing traffic to pass through un-monitored therefore by causing the system to crash by some form of a DoS attack eliminates one layer of security.