Molex to ATX 4 pin

jtomasrl

I bought a Thermaltake Litepower 650w for my new build:

Gigabyte Z390 UD

I7-9700K

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

So, everything ok untill I realized the motherboard had a 8+4 pin, but the PSU just has 1x 4+4 pin. Reading around I notice you actually can use this setup with just the 8 pin without using the extra 4 pins. The thing is I want to OC, not heavy, but maybe 4.9Ghz.

I came up to this adapter that converts a molex cable to a ATX 12v. My question here is, is it safe? I know I should get a 2x8pin PSU, but I can even find one with less than 1000w (overkilling), thats why I came to this.

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

a litepower on that hardware? please get a different one. You can overclock pretty well without that 4pin, you should even get your needed overclock with the 4+4

Just now, LukeSavenije said:

a litepower on that hardware? please get a different one. You can overclock pretty well without that 4pin, you should even get your needed overclock with the 4+4

whats wrong with the litepower and if im able to reach 4.9Ghz without the 4 pin, whats the 4 pin made for?

i7-9700k | AsRock Z390 Phantom Gaming ITX | Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB | EVGA RTX 2080 XC Gaming | Samsung 860 EVO | Corsair SF750 | Ncase M1

16 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

whats wrong with the litepower and if im able to reach 4.9Ghz without the 4 pin, whats the 4 pin made for?

Because the Litepower is super low end and super crappy group regulated PSU. 

The extra 4 pin is marketing. It's as useless for performance and overclocking as RGB. 

:)

18 minutes ago, jtomasrl said:

For extra power delivery when overclocking heavily. It's a low quality psu that shouldn't be combined with such expensive hardware

The extra 4-pin EPS on current motherboards seems to really only help some extreme LN2 overclocking scenarios, though for LN2 other board features are also needed/nice. Single 8-pin is more than fine for your use case even if on a custom loop; you'll be held back by temps before you run into any potential voltage drop due to the connectors, and possibly even before the 'not as clean' power signal from your current 'low quality' PSU. Though, for your CPU and GPU, it makes more sense to power them from a tier 3 or better PSU from this list.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

25 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

The extra 4-pin EPS on current motherboards seems to really only help some extreme LN2 overclocking scenarios, though for LN2 other board features are also needed/nice. Single 8-pin is more than fine for your use case even if on a custom loop; you'll be held back by temps before you run into any potential voltage drop due to the connectors, and possibly even before the 'not as clean' power signal from your current 'low quality' PSU. Though, for your CPU and GPU, it makes more sense to power them from a tier 3 or better PSU from this list.

Nice explanation, so 4 pin is not a problem now. I will consider changing the PSU with one of those. Thanks

38 minutes ago, meenmeen1103 said:

extreme LN2 overclocking

Is anyone going to use a $120 board for LN2, though? Probably not. So it's useless. 

:)

3 minutes ago, seon123 said:

Is anyone going to use a $120 board for LN2, though? Probably not. So it's useless. 

Hence the mention of "other board features" in the end of the sentence you excerpted from. Absolutely a marketing point for a number of recent boards, yes.

CPU: AMD Sempron 2400+ / MOBO: Abit NF7-S2G / GPU: WinFast A180BT 64MB / RAM: Mushkin DDR333 256MBx2 / HDD: Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM 120GB

is it way too overkill to consider a EVGA G2 or GQ 1000w? (considering long term upgrade to 2x RTX 2080 NVLink)

12 hours ago, jtomasrl said:

is it way too overkill to consider a EVGA G2 or GQ 1000w? (considering long term upgrade to 2x RTX 2080 NVLink)

It'd be overkill imo, as you'll do fine with 750W and 850W options as well, but up to you really.

On 12/12/2018 at 2:18 AM, jtomasrl said:

I bought a Thermaltake Litepower 650w for my new build:

Gigabyte Z390 UD

I7-9700K

EVGA RTX 2070 XC

That's too bad.

Now turn around and return that PSU and get a proper power supply.