Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Creative cable run ideas/options (VR is making me sad)

SubLimation7

Hello everyone!

So, I really enjoy VR, but currently never play it because I have to move my PC everytime and it gets old.  I really enjoy laying in bed with lapboard or controller gaming on 4k TV, so I want to preserve that experience but I also want to play VR without it being a hassle.

In a perfect world I would just run cables from living room (VR) to bedroom (4k setup), but I don't think this is currently possible without huge drawbacks so here I am making sure no one has any ideas.

I would have to run HDMI, usb hub, and 3.5mm audio so I can still make full use of sound system.  

I wouldn't mind adding a bit of latency if manageable, but I'd rather build a second computer before I give up much visual or audio quality.  But I certainly would prefer not to build a second high end system, anything less would just frustrate me.

So anyone know of any magic tricks lol?? Roughly a 60 ft run.

Update 1: hdmi over fiber (4k ~50ft even 4:4:4, so im thinking 4:2:2 could go a bit further)

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

You can use Steam Link, which you can buy for pretty cheap or use a raspberry pi. It basically turns the device into what you're looking for and it works over LAN.

I'm not sure how good the range is but, there are wireless adapter kits out there. Maybe look into those?

Make sure to quote or tag people, so they get notified.

Perhaps use displayport to carry audio and USB - not sure what the distance limit is without a repeater. A display port to HDMI adapter will preserve audio but USB will be lost. Maybe there is a hub that breaks out USB and HDMI from display port. Only thing would be making sure the 4k signal wouldnt be limited to 30Hz. I would look into it more but I dont have much time - good luck

Look up HDMI balun systems. Basically runs hdmi over Ethernet with powered ports on each end so it considerably lowers latency and greatly increases quality over long hdmi runs or bs wireless hdmi adapters. 

Hdmi balun systems can get expensive but is very worth it if you’re going to use it. We used balun systems in big home builds where the component rack was maybe hidden on a different floor and was able to run hdmi to every room in the house. Big budget stuff. But they can be affordable if you’re just going to run one line and have a purpose for it.

You can pm me if you have any specific questions or want some input on some that you might find. 

Thanks for all of the suggestions, I have a steam link and it works fairly well but not quite what I'm looking for.

Seems like this is a great solution for HDMI, even their 100ft option supports 4k 60hz 4:4:4(HDR):

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B072M73NY9/ref=twister_B071ZRZYQC?_encoding=UTF8&th=1

So that leaves USB, which I would need to hook up xbox wireless adapter, corsair wireless adapter, and Logitech wireless adapter (lol), oh and a yeti mic...

So far I'm looking at something like https://www.amazon.com/Monoprice-Extension-Repeater-PlayStation-Keyboard/dp/B0081LNQR4/ref=sr_1_20?ie=UTF8&qid=1544639780&sr=8-20&keywords=powered+usb+cable

but adding a powered hub to it at the end;

https://www.amazon.com/AmazonBasics-Port-USB-Power-Adapter/dp/B00DQFGJR4/ref=sr_1_4?ie=UTF8&qid=1544639893&sr=8-4&keywords=powered+usb+hub

And lastly would be audio, I use a creative ae5 sound card hooked to the Logitech thx 5.1 sound system.  This may be one area where I have to slightly compromise unless someone has ideas, I would love to just run long 3.5mm cables but seems like that's a bad idea, do they have something that can carry said signal over a fiber or boosted cable?  I haven't seen any great options, and messing with audio signal at all would make me unhappy.

So I may just have to get an optical toslink cable, but I'm still a small bit worried about audio quality:

https://www.amazon.com/FosPower-Plated-Toslink-Digital-Optical/product-reviews/B00T6OVRK8/ref=cm_cr_arp_d_paging_btm_2?ie=UTF8&reviewerType=all_reviews&pageNumber=2

If anyone has better ideas I'm all ears.

Sole Proprietor of Pinnacle Gaming, forging record breaking PCs at an unbeatable (literally) value feat: M2 drives, "delidded" cpus & gpus, record breaking speeds (hwbot), platinum PSU (always tier one),  premium motherboards, now with RGB LIGHTING, and all at a budget price, dare to compare even vs building yourself 

So Im not happy with optical, lose a lot of detail compared to 3.5mm, my gf even notices.

So 3.5mm run without compromising sound quality??

So apparently you can go pretty far with 3.5mm, Im just gonna try these for now.

https://www.amazon.com/SHD-Auxiliary-Premium-Shielded-Connectors-50Feet/dp/B077XPQS22/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1544662006&sr=8-3&keywords=50ft+3.5mm

I will update with results.