Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Best Disk Defragment software i can get for free

Go to solution Solved by Shammikit,

I used Auslogics Disk Defrag  which was recommended by my friend and did the defragment. It improved R6 loading times massively

i want to improve my loading speeds when playing Rainbow 6. i dont have an SSD and cannot afford one atm. One of my friends told me to defragment the disks as it improved his loading speeds and i can seem him loading very quickly to matches in R6. i have already tried the built in Windows one but it wasnt much of an improvement. My friend suggested me the software he used which was: Auslogics Disk Defrag. Not sure if its a reliable one. would like to know if it is gud or any other suggestions. Dont want to take any risks and F up my HDD.

Defragler is the best IMO.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

I love Dark Souls lore, Mice and Milk tea  ^_^ Praise The Sun! \[T]/

I can conquer the world with one hand,As long as you hold the other -Unknown

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

To the best of my knowledge if the built-in defragment tool didn't do you a whole lot of good then an after market one won't do you much better. Part of the issue is locating the files. The other issue is the disks speed. If your drive is only 5400RPM then you're not going to see much more if any more of a bump.

The built in windows defrag is good enough to test your theory of improving your loading times. If you don't notice any improvement from that then your issue is not with fragmented data and better programs will not help. 

Just FYI a 120Gb SSD is $30 at the moment. That's less than the price of the game you are trying to play. Sure 120Gb is not a lot but is enough for your OS and game.

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

To the best of my knowledge if the built-in defragment tool didn't do you a whole lot of good then an after market one won't do you much better. Part of the issue is locating the files. The other issue is the disks speed. If your drive is only 5400RPM then you're not going to see much more if any more of a bump.

The built in is horrible, It says 0% fragmentation but when i use Defragler there are still tons of fragmentation files.

And i could feel it especially when gaming because my games files are stored in the HDD.

Drive RPM does affect but its not what you might think because when say your games has a lot of fragmentation, The gameplay would be very choppy almost feels like a rubberbanding lag and the texture just pop in very late.

Gaming Mouse Buying Guide (Technical Terms,Optical vs Laser,Mice Recommendation,Popular Mouse Sensor,Etc)

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

Its better to enjoy your own company than expecting someone to make you happy -Mr Bean

No one is going to be with you forever,One day u'll have to walk alone -Hiromi aoki (avery)

BUT the one who love us never really leave us,You can always find them here -Sirius Black

Don't pity the dead,Pity the living and above all those who live without love -Albus Dumbledore

16 minutes ago, FlappyBoobs said:

The built in windows defrag is good enough to test your theory of improving your loading times. If you don't notice any improvement from that then your issue is not with fragmented data and better programs will not help. 

Just FYI a 120Gb SSD is $30 at the moment. That's less than the price of the game you are trying to play. Sure 120Gb is not a lot but is enough for your OS and game.

They are much cheaper than that now. These are the cheapest SSD options for 240 and 480gb. These are not a super great brand, but you can generally pay about 10-15 more and get a solid name brand drive for these sizes.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sqVxjy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sqVxjy/by_merchant/

Storage: Team - L5 LITE 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($29.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $82.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 09:18 EST-0500

Defraggler is OK.  I like and prefer O&O Defrag  : https://www.oo-software.com/en/products/oodefrag click on Try Now  ... it's not free, but there's a 30 day trial version which will work just fine for your needs.

Also how much ram do you have? depending on that, you could actually create a ram disk and copy at least a part of the game in memory and have it load from there  (copy files to ramdisk, use junction from systinternals suite (microsoft applications) to redirect game folder to ramdisk , and then game loads from ram instead

@AngryBeaver his profile says Sri Lanka .. things may not be cheap there or customs/shipping there could be expensive. Not everyone has so much choice.

1 minute ago, Hiya! said:

The built in is horrible, It says 0% fragmentation but when i use Defragler there are still tons of fragmentation files.

And i could feel it especially when gaming because my games files are stored in the HDD.

Drive RPM does affect but its not what you might think because when say your games has a lot of fragmentation, The gameplay would be very choppy almost feels like a rubberbanding lag and the texture just pop in very late.

I know with HDD's latency is much more of a factor when seeking information making defragmenting desirable. Still defragmentation is only a necessity as you filled up and delete fairly large sections of the drive over a period of months (for the average user). Over this span of time most people would upgrade their equipment but as OP said finances don't allow it.

I'm not certain how big of an improvement they expect to get but unless the computer is downright refusing to do much of anything then I don't expect a good proper defrag to show too much of an in game performance bump.

My argument isn't to say don't do it at all. My argument is simply to say don't expect a super performance bump after the defrag.

36 minutes ago, Shammikit said:

i want to improve my loading speeds when playing Rainbow 6. i dont have an SSD and cannot afford one atm. One of my friends told me to defragment the disks as it improved his loading speeds and i can seem him loading very quickly to matches in R6. i have already tried the built in Windows one but it wasnt much of an improvement. My friend suggested me the software he used which was: Auslogics Disk Defrag. Not sure if its a reliable one. would like to know if it is gud or any other suggestions. Dont want to take any risks and F up my HDD.

What gear does your friend have?  From CPU to storage to RAM to internet speed/ping?

He may simply have a faster machine than yours.

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- Ubiquiti Amplifi HD mesh wifi

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

1 minute ago, jstudrawa said:

What gear does your friend have?  From CPU to storage to RAM to internet speed/ping?

Sorry but my OCD kicked in hard on that one :D

Please quote my post, or put @paddy-stone if you want me to respond to you.

Spoiler
  • PCs:- 
  • Main PC build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/2K6Q7X
  • ASUS x53e  - i7 2670QM / Sony BD writer x8 / Win 10, Elemetary OS, Ubuntu/ Samsung 830 SSD
  • Lenovo G50 - 8Gb RAM - Samsung 860 Evo 250GB SSD - DVD writer
  •  
  • Displays:-
  • Philips 55 OLED 754 model
  • Panasonic 55" 4k TV
  • LG 29" Ultrawide
  • Philips 24" 1080p monitor as backup
  •  
  • Storage/NAS/Servers:-
  • ESXI/test build  https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/4wyR9G
  • Main Server https://uk.pcpartpicker.com/list/3Qftyk
  • Backup server - HP Proliant Gen 8 4 bay NAS running FreeNAS ZFS striped 3x3TiB WD reds
  • HP ProLiant G6 Server SE316M1 Twin Hex Core Intel Xeon E5645 2.40GHz 48GB RAM
  •  
  • Gaming/Tablets etc:-
  • Xbox One S 500GB + 2TB HDD
  • PS4
  • Nvidia Shield TV
  • Xiaomi/Pocafone F2 pro 8GB/256GB
  • Xiaomi Redmi Note 4

• Unused Hardware currently :-
  • 4670K MSI mobo 16GB ram
  • i7 6700K  b250 mobo
  • Zotac GTX 1060 6GB Amp! edition
  • Zotac GTX 1050 mini

Just now, paddy-stone said:

Sorry but my OCD kicked in hard on that one :D

Typing too fast, thanks :)

Emma : i9 9900K 5.1Ghz - Gigabyte AORUS 1080Ti - Gigabyte AORUS Z370 Gaming 5 - G. Skill Ripjaws V 32GB 3200Mhz - 750 EVO 512GB + 2x 860 EVO 1TB (RAID 0) - EVGA SuperNova 650 P2 - Thermaltake Water 3.0 Ultimate 360mm - Fractal Design Define R6 - AOC AGON 35" 3440x1440 100Hz - Mackie CR5BT - Corsair Virtuoso SE - Logitech G910, G502 - Cooler Master Universal Graphics Card Holder

Plex : Ryzen 5 1600 - Gigabyte B450M-DS3H - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2400Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - 840 EVO 256GB + Toshiba P300 3TB - TP-Link AC1900 PCIe Wifi - Cooler Master MasterWatt Lite 500 - Antec Nine Hundred - Samsung 27" + Dell 24" 

Raven:  Intel i3 10100F - ASRock H410M-HDV - G. Skill Ripjaws V 16GB 2666Mhz - MSI 1050Ti 4GB - Inland 256GB SSD + Toshiba 2TB HDD - TP-Link AC600 USB Wifi - Gigabyte GP-P450B PSU -  Cooler Master MasterBox Q300L -  Spectre 24" 

Other Tech:

- 2021 Volvo S60 Recharge T8 Polestar Engineered - 415hp/495tq 2.0L 4cyl. turbocharged, supercharged and electrified.

Lenovo 720S Touch 15.6" - i7 7700HQ, 16GB RAM, 512GB NVMe SSD, 1050Ti, 4K touchscreen

MSI GF62 - i7 7700HQ, 16GB 2400 MHz RAM, 256GB NVMe SSD + 1TB 7200rpm HDD, 1050Ti

22 minutes ago, Hiya! said:

I just love when I type up a huge post go to post it and get kicked to the mainpage then come back to see it didn't even save the text for it.... Sigh. So here goes the second one which will be much less detailed lol.

OP is this system info accurate? If so I can suggest a few things.

First off the GPU is going to struggle for games. So some of the issue you are having might be FPS related and not drive related. Second you have only a single drive so even with little fragmentation OS functions are going on in the background which will eat up your disk usage. A HDD is reliant on seek time and the more actions going on the more it can be affected in a big way.

Now another problem is with your ram. Rainbow six siege for example can load textures in to ram, if you do not have enough ram it will have to put these items in to virtual ram which is on your hard drive. That causes problems because it is much slower to be accessed and often causes fps dips, micro stutters, or images popping in much later than everything else.

To touch on fragmentation. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you move files, delete stuff, or even install something new. There are also going to be files that are large enough fragmentation cannot be prevented. Fragmentation is just a file that isn't being stored in consecutive spaces on the disk. It isn't until the disk is getting heavily fragmented that you will see a drastic decrease in performance. Also since your drive is only 500gb it has less space to store items consecutively and that also affects the size of the files that cannot be prevented from being fragmented.

System

• CPU
    Core 2 quad Q8400 2.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asrock G41M-S3
  • RAM
    4gb
  • GPU
    Asus GT 610 2gb
  • Storage
    500gb

10 minutes ago, Windows7ge said:

I know with HDD's latency is much more of a factor when seeking information making defragmenting desirable. Still defragmentation is only a necessity as you filled up and delete fairly large sections of the drive over a period of months (for the average user). Over this span of time most people would upgrade their equipment but as OP said finances don't allow it.

I'm not certain how big of an improvement they expect to get but unless the computer is downright refusing to do much of anything then I don't expect a good proper defrag to show too much of an in game performance bump.

My argument isn't to say don't do it at all. My argument is simply to say don't expect a super performance bump after the defrag.

There would be no PERFORMANCE BUMP from defragmenting drives for gaming most of the times, It would mostly fix stuttering that could occur because of the fragmentation files.

1 minute ago, AngryBeaver said:

I just love when I type up a huge post go to paste it and get kicked to the mainpage then come back to see it didn't even save the text for it.... Sigh. So here goes the second one which will be much less detailed lol.

-snip-

I am not responding to OP performance issues, I merely suggest the best defragmentation software for him.

[LOGITECH G402 REVIEW]

2 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

I just love when I type up a huge post go to post it and get kicked to the mainpage then come back to see it didn't even save the text for it.... Sigh. So here goes the second one which will be much less detailed lol.

First off the GPU is going to struggle for games. So some of the issue you are having might be FPS related and not drive related. Second you have only a single drive so even with little fragmentation OS functions are going on in the background which will eat up your disk usage. A HDD is reliant on seek time and the more actions going on the more it can be affected in a big way.

Now another problem is with your ram. Rainbow six siege for example can load textures in to ram, if you do not have enough ram it will have to put these items in to virtual ram which is on your hard drive. That causes problems because it is much slower to be accessed and often causes fps dips, micro stutters, or images popping in much later than everything else.

To touch on fragmentation. Fragmentation occurs naturally when you move files, delete stuff, or even install something new. There are also going to be files that are large enough fragmentation cannot be prevented. Fragmentation is just a file that isn't being stored in consecutive spaces on the disk. It isn't until the disk is getting heavily fragmented that you will see a drastic decrease in performance. Also since your drive is only 500gb it has less space to store items consecutively and that also affects the size of the files that cannot be prevented from being fragmented.

System

• CPU
    Core 2 quad Q8400 2.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asrock G41M-S3
  • RAM
    4gb
  • GPU
    Asus GT 610 2gb
  • Storage
    500gb

Yeah, his friend has a better machine than his most likely.  Not sure why he didn't realize this himself.

Other Tech:

9 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

Yeah, his friend has a better machine than his most likely.  Not sure why he didn't realize this himself.

In the end his friend didn't really do much to help him. His friend is the one that suggest it was because of a fragmented drive. The problem is the OP's machine is just dated and will struggle to run those titles. I mean the sad truth is he needs to drop a few hundred bucks for a decent system. He would see a big performance bump from even a 2200g build.  Like the following(Sorry love playing with pcpartspicker) So if OP can start saving about 350 he can have a decent little machine to play on. The good news is the holidays are on us and he could ask for it outright or for the money to go towards it. This also leaves him the option to upgrade to a dedicated card in the future as he needs more performance. For example in the states a used 970 can be found for around 100 and a 980 for 150 or less most of the time.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dVTGD2
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dVTGD2/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot - Burst 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $336.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 09:51 EST-0500

Also if OP doesn't play but a handful of games he could just upgrade to a single 500GB SSD for more performance. As it stands though he would have enough room on the SSD for the OS and 1-3 games. Then he could use the HDD for storage of less IO intensive games or just files in general.

1 hour ago, FlappyBoobs said:

1 hour ago, AngryBeaver said:

They are much cheaper than that now. These are the cheapest SSD options for 240 and 480gb. These are not a super great brand, but you can generally pay about 10-15 more and get a solid name brand drive for these sizes.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sqVxjy
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/sqVxjy/by_merchant/

Storage: Team - L5 LITE 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($29.99 @ Newegg Business)
Storage: Team - L5 LITE 480 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($52.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $82.98
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 09:18 EST-0500

Here in our country everything is stupidly expensive. These days our political situation is also not gud so the economy is also bad and it has also hit the exchange rate hard. So importing from sites like amazon is also not an option as some items dont ship here or the shipping cost is 2-3 times more than the price of the item.

1 hour ago, jstudrawa said:

56 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

System

• CPU
    Core 2 quad Q8400 2.6ghz
  • Motherboard
    Asrock G41M-S3
  • RAM
    4gb
  • GPU
    Asus GT 610 2gb
  • Storage
    500gb

52 minutes ago, jstudrawa said:

43 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

In the end his friend didn't really do much to help him. His friend is the one that suggest it was because of a fragmented drive. The problem is the OP's machine is just dated and will struggle to run those titles. I mean the sad truth is he needs to drop a few hundred bucks for a decent system. He would see a big performance bump from even a 2200g build.  Like the following(Sorry love playing with pcpartspicker) So if OP can start saving about 350 he can have a decent little machine to play on. The good news is the holidays are on us and he could ask for it outright or for the money to go towards it. This also leaves him the option to upgrade to a dedicated card in the future as he needs more performance. For example in the states a used 970 can be found for around 100 and a 980 for 150 or less most of the time.

PCPartPicker part list: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dVTGD2
Price breakdown by merchant: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/dVTGD2/by_merchant/

CPU: AMD - Ryzen 3 2200G 3.5 GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($89.00 @ Amazon)
Motherboard: ASRock - B450 Pro4 ATX AM4 Motherboard  ($59.99 @ Newegg)
Memory: Team - Vulcan 8 GB (2 x 4 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  ($60.98 @ Newegg)
Storage: Patriot - Burst 240 GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($34.99 @ Amazon)
Storage: Hitachi - Ultrastar 1 TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($36.99 @ Amazon)
Case: Thermaltake - Versa N21 ATX Mid Tower Case  ($29.51 @ Newegg)
Power Supply: Corsair - CXM (2015) 450 W 80+ Bronze Certified Semi-Modular ATX Power Supply  ($24.99 @ Newegg)
Total: $336.45
Generated by PCPartPicker 2018-12-11 09:51 EST-0500

Also if OP doesn't play but a handful of games he could just upgrade to a single 500GB SSD for more performance. As it stands though he would have enough room on the SSD for the OS and 1-3 games. Then he could use the HDD for storage of less IO intensive games or just files in general.

Im sorry, those are not the specs i have now. im playing in a laptop i bought. Those specs are from my desktop PC. I must update that.

The spec of laptop im playing R6 is:

RAM: 8GB

CPU: Intel Core I5 8250U

GPU: nvidia 940MX

HDD:1TB (5400RPM i think)

My friend has a 6th gen i7, nvidia 840M, 8gb of ram and also 1TB of HDD and most probably same as my HDD speed. His laptop is around 3 years old. He has clogged up alot of files in his drive and has very few free space remaining and still manages to load to the matches in R6 in few seconds while mine take about a minute. My friend said it was like that for him too until he defragmented. We have similar internet speeds too ping in game is around 40ms, download speed as shown by speed test is 20mbps download and 1.5mbps upload. 

I used Auslogics Disk Defrag  which was recommended by my friend and did the defragment. It improved R6 loading times massively