Devs have forgotten what optimization means, they just dont care.

recently i have noticed that games are not being optimized properly and devs are not putting an effort to do so, its like they just dont care, they want to sell and get money and maybe concentrate on consoles only.  

i have i7 4790, Vega 64, 16GB DDR3 1600Mhz and 2560x1080 monitor 21:9 @80hz.

I run graphically amazing and intensive games no issues at screen refresh rate with some normal FPS dips at max settings, like shadow of the tomb raider, shadow of war, the witcher 3, Wolfenstein, BO4, BF1, the division...

on the other hand you find games with the same graphics as above games and sometimes even less amazing but runs bad with many frame spikes, like far cry 5, assassin's Creed Odyessey, watch dogs 2, sudden strike 4, blitzkrieg 3, total war Warhammer 2, BF5, wildlands amd many other games, where CPU and GPU are sitting almost @50% -70% usage.

i mean why are devs killing PC gaming? why cant a powerful PC run a game smoothly but a 300-500 dollars consoles can with decent graphics and smooth gaming?

why DX12 and vulkan still not widely supported? although they game good boost when gaming.

Recently PC gaming are being published but not polished, look at just cause 4, fallout 76, BF5...etc , they just dont care about PC community anymore, i know games are being pirated but dont blame the remaining majority.

devs are just producing games to maximize their proft, ubisoft 2 AC games in 2 years! black ops 4 is a remaster from previous games, just cause 4 is bad....

many of pc gaming community are thinking of buying PS5 when available and abandon PC. atleast i dont have to worry about my 2000K rig running the game...

"many of pc gaming community are thinking of buying PS5 and abandon PC "

legit don't think any real pc gamer is thinking this

all comes down to the engine and what dev's are comfortable with implementing, dx12 is similar enough to dx11, but vulkan is on its own.

fallout 76 and there other games have been using the same engine that worked decades ago and haven't done much improvement to it graphically and it show's

unlike battlefields Frostbite engine that gets constant updates

11 minutes ago, Khader87 said:

i mean why are devs killing PC gaming?

Idiotic hyperbole. There have ALWAYS been better-optimized games and worse-optimized games and yet the PC-gaming scene is still doing just fine.

3 minutes ago, SpiralTTGL said:

legit don't think any real pc gamer is thinking this

Certainly not me. Consoles are fine and all, but not to my taste.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

I don't wanna be that guy but your also using a amd gpu when games are center'ed toward nvidia gpu's for optimization its just how things are because of the marketshare. These issues your facing could be it, also could be your aging hardware 4790 came out in 2014 and that means your also still using ddr3. Hitching could be storage related many games use texture streaming having a slow hdd could hinder your smooth experience.

windows 10 has also had some issues with games specifically studdering with standby memory

15 minutes ago, Khader87 said:

i mean why are devs killing PC gaming? why cant a powerful PC run a game smoothly but a 300-500 dollars consoles can with decent graphics and smooth gaming? 

They aren't, and they can't. Console versions either turn the settings way down, or they run at a lower frame rate. You've got no idea what you're talking about.

Make sure to quote or tag me (@JoostinOnline) or I won't see your response!

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

The problem is that they don't really care about this.

The only thing that matters is profit, money. That's it.

It's not because devs want to, it's because they have to, the crunch culture is real in the game dev world and it's awful.

Why do you think microtransactions are a thing? Why do you think the big guys mainly keep selling basically the same game as last year? Because it gives them the most amount of profit.

Ubisoft, EA and Bethesda are all going this route, and it's a bad one.

I'm not saying they are all like this, CDPR is like REALLY good when it comes down to being consumer friendly (GOG store) and creating actually decent games.

An old but great example is simcity vs cities skylines, simcity was absolute trash and clearly a cash grab, cities skylines was an indie project by passionate people and it really shows.

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

2 minutes ago, JoostinOnline said:

They aren't, and they can't. Console versions either turn the settings way down, or they run at a lower frame rate. You've got no idea what you're talking about.

Normally they do both.

Main Rig:-

Ryzen 7 3800X | Asus ROG Strix X570-F Gaming | 16GB Team Group Dark Pro 3600Mhz | Corsair MP600 1TB PCIe Gen 4 | Sapphire 5700 XT Pulse | Corsair H115i Platinum | WD Black 1TB | WD Green 4TB | EVGA SuperNOVA G3 650W | Asus TUF GT501 | Samsung C27HG70 1440p 144hz HDR FreeSync 2 | Ubuntu 20.04.2 LTS |

Server:-

Intel NUC running Server 2019 + Synology DSM218+ with 2 x 4TB Toshiba NAS Ready HDDs (RAID0)

Just now, Master Disaster said:

Normally they do both.

If you've got the higher end models you usually get to choose which one you want.

PSU Tier List  |  The Real Reason Delidding Improves Temperatures"2K" does not mean 2560×1440 

console run 1080p 30fps mostly, or they run near the low settings. Do that and you'll get better frame rates as well.

Also a tendency of DDR3 platforms is that they get overwhelmed by how much new games care about memory transfer rate. Beefing up my DDR3 1600MHz CL11 kit to a 2233MHz CL11 kit boosted performance on pretty much all the games you put as 'badly optimized' significantly. Not something you can blame devs, after all it makes sense to test new hardware only for time reasons.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

console run 1080p 30fps mostly, or they run near the low settings. Do that and you'll get better frame rates as well.

Lots of games only run 900p 30fps.

30 minutes ago, Khader87 said:

on the other hand you find games with the same graphics as above games and sometimes even less amazing but runs bad with many frame spikes, like far cry 5, assassin's Creed Odyessey, watch dogs 2, sudden strike 4, blitzkrieg 3, total war Warhammer 2, BF5, wildlands amd many other games, where CPU and GPU are sitting almost @50% -70% usage.

Stop buying Ubisoft games?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

dx12 and vulkan leave game drivers up to the devs and not amd or nvidia so they are less likely to use it cause they dont want to make drivers for every card when they could have nvidia do it for them. plus they can use wrappers that act like dx12 or vulkan but its actully dx11 under the hood so nvidia and amd can still make drivers for them. 

On another note, BF5 isn't even badly optimized. I mean, have you looked at the graphical fidelity of that thing? Of course it's going to be a pretty heavy game when it looks so good!

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

33 minutes ago, samcool55 said:

The problem is that they don't really care about this.

The only thing that matters is profit, money. That's it.

It's not because devs want to, it's because they have to, the crunch culture is real in the game dev world and it's awful.

Why do you think microtransactions are a thing? Why do you think the big guys mainly keep selling basically the same game as last year? Because it gives them the most amount of profit.

Ubisoft, EA and Bethesda are all going this route, and it's a bad one.

I'm not saying they are all like this, CDPR is like REALLY good when it comes down to being consumer friendly (GOG store) and creating actually decent games.

An old but great example is simcity vs cities skylines, simcity was absolute trash and clearly a cash grab, cities skylines was an indie project by passionate people and it really shows.

You have made me sad now, reminding me how disappointed with simcity

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

I remember getting angry at games when my locked CPU was over 5 years old too..paired with slow ass memory (even when launched)

Devs are not using these parts, or making games for them specifically.

35 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

Also a tendency of DDR3 platforms is that they get overwhelmed by how much new games care about memory transfer rate. Beefing up my DDR3 1600MHz CL11 kit to a 2233MHz CL11 kit boosted performance on pretty much all the games you put as 'badly optimized' significantly. Not something you can blame devs, after all it makes sense to test new hardware only for time reasons.

Plus the factors stated in above post that can affect any parts rated speeds and optimum performance vs weakest links in the system holding you back..

Maximums - Asus Z97-K /w i5 4690 Bclk @106.9Mhz * x39 = 4.17Ghz, 8GB of 2600Mhz DDR3,.. Gigabyte GTX970 G1-Gaming @ 1550Mhz

A poorly-implemented new technology is no better than an well-implemented old one.

"Mankind’s greatest mistake will be its inability to control the technology it has created."

1 hour ago, Khader87 said:

recently i have noticed that games are not being optimized properly and devs are not putting an effort to do so,

I have recently read that devs have to focus more on optimization because the end of Moore's law helped in the past to neglect optimization.

1 hour ago, SkilledRebuilds said:

I remember getting angry at games when my locked CPU was over 5 years old too..paired with slow ass memory (even when launched)

Devs are not using these parts, or making games for them specifically.

Plus the factors stated in above post that can affect any parts rated speeds and optimum performance vs weakest links in the system holding you back..

my 5 years old cpu can run new AAA gsmes no issues, but not others due to bad optimization by the devs.

I love how people make blanket statements about how games are on consoles when they have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. 

Now, more on topic: there’s always good and badly optimized games. Team Fortress 2’s optimization has dwindled since the Love and War Update (it’s been 4 and a half years since the Conga came out) but I still play it. Rainbow 6 Siege’s seems to have gotten better over time, and PUBG started off very shitty and got quite a bit better, even if it isn’t optimal. Point is, that’s just how games are. Usually they’re made to target a specific frame rate on consoles for a reason; they aren’t easy games to hit 60fps on even with good PCs. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

7 minutes ago, handymanshandle said:

I love how people make blanket statements about how games are on consoles when they have no idea what the fuck they are talking about. 

Now, more on topic: there’s always good and badly optimized games. Team Fortress 2’s optimization has dwindled since the Love and War Update (it’s been 4 and a half years since the Conga came out) but I still play it. Rainbow 6 Siege’s seems to have gotten better over time, and PUBG started off very shitty and got quite a bit better, even if it isn’t optimal. Point is, that’s just how games are. Usually they’re made to target a specific frame rate on consoles for a reason; they aren’t easy games to hit 60fps on even with good PCs. 

i prefer to play steady and smooth gaming rather than shitty FPS drops and lags.

4 minutes ago, Khader87 said:

i prefer to play steady and smooth gaming rather than shitty FPS drops and lags.

And I think everyone understands this, but for a decent number of games (especially those that stream in a lot of data, like open world games) it’s tough to keep a stable and not stuttery experience. That’s why devs tend to target 30fps on open world games on console, because it’s easier to give some frame time away to guarantee that more stable experience than it is to be able to directly manage data streaming. This is especially true for games like GTA V and Watch Dogs 2. 

Check out my guide on how to scan cover art here!

Local asshole and 6th generation console enthusiast.

Consoles are easy to optimize for because it's two configurations with minimally intrusive settings. PCs are hard to optimize because it's millions on millions of combinations. And it's not just hardware, but how you tweak with the OS. Devs are always going to target the default configuration because that's the only one they know. They don't know what the heck you did on your machine.

Though to address some questions directly

Aside from tuning the game to the console for maximum efficiency , the other thing is that consoles are only running that game more or less. If you're playing your games with a dozen other apps open along with a web browser with stuff actively going on in the page (e.g., ads or whatnot), not only could it potentially suck away time from the game, but it'll potentially interrupt the game.

why DX12 and vulkan still not widely supported? although they game good boost when gaming.

Because they're not easy API to work with. I haven't seen too much in the graphics development circles, but the general feeling I get when someone asks if they should learn DX11 or DX12 in their application is unless you know what you're doing, use DX11.

"Sources":

The thing is, except for ray tracing, DX12 and DX11 share the same exact feature set as far as graphical features go. Their only difference is a change in programming paradigm (well and some underlying features, but from a programmer's perspective it's a change in paradigm). I'm presuming Vulkan is the same. As far as I can tell, the only scenario in which DX12 or Vulkan should be used is if you're hitting a performance wall and you're finding out the GPU job compiling on the CPU is the bottleneck.

Or basically, if you can achieve 100% GPU utilization on DX11, DX12 will not gain you anything more. While I would argue a similar case with Vulkan, Doom sort of showed that wasn't the case. But then again I've heard that OGL was a bit of a mess anyway.

Recently PC gaming are being published but not polished, look at just cause 4, fallout 76, BF5...etc , they just dont care about PC community anymore, i know games are being pirated but dont blame the remaining majority.

Just Cause 4 is just as bad on consoles: https://www.metacritic.com/game/playstation-4/just-cause-4/user-reviews

Fallout 76 likely is just as bad on consoles, but it certainly needs more answers as to what the hell went on at Bethesda. The whole handling of the game is just a fiasco.

BF5 is a CPU heavy game. That doesn't necessarily mean it's terribly optimized because there can be a lot of things going on during a multiplayer match.

many of pc gaming community are thinking of buying PS5 when available and abandon PC. atleast i dont have to worry about my 2000K rig running the game...

Yeah no. I don't think that's really going to happen.

And a few other points to note:

• You're using an AMD GPU, which for DX11 titles, AMD has a disadvantage. NVIDIA at one point implemented DX11 deferred contexts driver-wide which allowed a degree of multithreaded rendering. For AMD, the API calls go through a single thread.
  • If you're playing on ultra settings, don't. Ultra doesn't bring vastly improved image quality and anything it does do can do it at the expense of system resources.
  • Developers may also be using the same engines that they've developed years ago and are only iterating on top of what they developed. Battlefield V runs on the five year old Frostbite 3 engine. Similarly Unreal Engine 4 is about five years old.And while you can go "well why can't they make a new engine?"... because that takes a lot of resources. id Tech 6, which powered DOOM, is only about 2.5 years old (and id's already going on to making id Tech 7). So I give caution in praising what DOOM does, because it's newer and it's hard to update older engines.
    • Besides that I don't even know what id Tech 7 is bringing that id Tech 6 can't do and all I'm getting is some vague "it can do 10 times the geometric complexity" which to me is something I'd have to have a side-by-side comparison on what this means. For all I know, id Tech 6 may have set a low bar.

4 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

You only forgot 3kliksphillip holy video as icing at the top of this cake :3

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)

Inb4 a mid 2000 pc gamer talks about how bad console ports used to be.