Samsung has released A8s with Front Camera inside the screen

Furiku
On 12/11/2018 at 2:54 AM, VegetableStu said:

I want to see what the companies are seeing to compel them to disregard the headphone jack

“Apple did it and it worked for them, so therefore it must work for us!” Except that’s not how it works! 

OEMs blindly follow what Apple does and almost never think about why Apple can get away with it and as a result never implement similar features or benefits into their products to compensate. 

Laptop: 2019 16" MacBook Pro i7, 512GB, 5300M 4GB, 16GB DDR4 | Phone: iPhone 13 Pro Max 128GB | Wearables: Apple Watch SE | Car: 2007 Ford Taurus SE | CPU: R7 5700X | Mobo: ASRock B450M Pro4 | RAM: 32GB 3200 | GPU: ASRock RX 5700 8GB | Case: Apple PowerMac G5 | OS: Win 11 | Storage: 1TB Crucial P3 NVME SSD, 1TB PNY CS900, & 4TB WD Blue HDD | PSU: Be Quiet! Pure Power 11 600W | Display: LG 27GL83A-B 1440p @ 144Hz, Dell S2719DGF 1440p @144Hz | Cooling: Wraith Prism | Keyboard: G610 Orion Cherry MX Brown | Mouse: G305 | Audio: Audio Technica ATH-M50X & Blue Snowball | Server: 2018 Core i3 Mac mini, 128GB SSD, Intel UHD 630, 16GB DDR4 | Storage: OWC Mercury Elite Pro Quad (6TB WD Blue HDD, 12TB Seagate Barracuda, 1TB Crucial SSD, 2TB Seagate Barracuda HDD)

37 minutes ago, DrMacintosh said:

OEMs blindly follow what Apple does and almost never think about why Apple can get away with it and as a result never implement similar features or benefits into their products to compensate.

Oh, there is a reason. It's so they can sell the headphone jack back to you post-sale for extra profit, because obviously charging you $1000 for a phone that costs $325 to build wasn't enough profit.

They know you'll lose the 3.5mm adapter. So they sell you replacements for $20, and sometimes even lock you out of using cheaper alternatives. At least Apple has a reason other than "shitty anti-consumerism", on the Android side of things it's completely ridiculous.

52 minutes ago, 79wjd said:

Or, they just have a notch since some people do prefer the extra screen space and aren't bothered in the slightest by the presence of a notch.

Stop misconstruing the notion that everyone hates the existence of the notch just because YOU do.

Or have a bezel because some people prefer their phones not to look horrible and have an obstruction on their screen. Stop putting words in my mouth. I never once said that everyone hates the notch. Everyone is entilteled to their opinion. I am if people prefer to have a notch that's ok. It's ok to be wrong. 

20 minutes ago, Nowak said:

At least Apple has a reason other than "shitty anti-consumerism"

WTF? Apple removed it for literally zero reason and charged stupid fucking prices and were extremely locked down. 

No company has a good valid reason. 

Just now, mynameisjuan said:

WTF? Apple removed it for literally zero reason and charged stupid fucking prices and were extremely locked down. 

No company has a good valid reason. 

It's so they can sell Beats wireless headphones. They have an economic reason for doing so.

29 minutes ago, Nowak said:

It's so they can sell Beats wireless headphones. They have an economic reason for doing so.

And that isnt anti consumerism? But if Android does it its anti consumerism?

You are saying its fine for Apple to remove it to force sales on their Air pods and Beats but if Android does it its and you can buy cheap 3rd party adapters its anti-consumerism. Do you even know what that means.

19 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

And that isnt anti consumerism? But if Android does it its anti consumerism?

You are saying its fine for Apple to remove it to force sales on their Air pods and Beats but if Android does it its and you can buy cheap 3rd party adapters its anti-consumerism. Do you even know what that means.

Oh, don't get me wrong. It's still very anti-consumer, but I know why Apple did it. They wanted a good ROI on their Beats purchase, at the cost of convenience for the end user. Then they drummed up "courage" and how "outdated" a universal standard is so they could push their own proprietary standard.

I think the worst part is that people actually bought it and believe the headphone jack needs to go because of Schiller's "courage" spiel, without understanding how Apple wanting to push away an open standard and Android OEMs playing "follow the leader" has only created problems that didn't exist before. Remember when the headphone jack was something you could very easily lose, because it was just an "accessory"? Yeah.

47 minutes ago, Nowak said:

Samsung also has a vested interest

Remember, they own Harman

The Workhorse (AMD-powered custom desktop)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

The Portable Workstation (Apple MacBook Pro 16" 2021)

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

The Communicator (Apple iPhone 13 Pro)

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Samsung also has a vested interest

Remember, they own Harman

Really? I thought they were owned by Toshiba for some reason. Huh.

You learn something new every day :P 

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

Really? I thought they were owned by Toshiba for some reason. Huh.

You learn something new every day :P 

Remember, they're all doing this for money at the end of the day.

Whether it's extra sales on dongles or more likely sales on wireless headphones (and typically own-branded headphones or those made by a subsidiary).

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X | GPU: MSI X Trio GeForce RTX 2070S | RAM: XPG Spectrix D60G 32GB DDR4-3200 | Storage: 512GB XPG SX8200P + 2TB 7200RPM Seagate Barracuda Compute | OS: Microsoft Windows 10 Pro

SoC: Apple M1 Max (8+2 core CPU w/ 32-core GPU) | RAM: 32GB unified LPDDR5 | Storage: 1TB PCIe Gen4 SSD | OS: macOS Monterey

SoC: Apple A15 Bionic | RAM: 6GB LPDDR4X | Storage: 128GB internal w/ NVMe controller | Display: 6.1" 2532x1170 "Super Retina XDR" OLED with VRR at up to 120Hz | OS: iOS 15.1

Just now, D13H4RD said:

Remember, they're all doing this for money at the end of the day.

Whether it's extra sales on dongles or more likely sales on wireless headphones (and typically own-branded headphones or those made by a subsidiary).

If only we could get that across to some people.

1 minute ago, Nowak said:

If only we could get that across to some people.

Just remember; Corporations are not your friend.

Every decision they make has to have some form of vested interest in mind. They're in the business to sell products or services.

Companies can lay PR talk like "evolution" or "the future", but just remember that they have one thing they're eyeing on; Your wallet

2 minutes ago, D13H4RD said:

Just remember; Corporations are not your friend.

Every decision they make has to have some form of vested interest in mind. They're in the business to sell products or services.

Companies can lay PR talk like "evolution" or "the future", but just remember that they have one thing they're eyeing on; Your wallet

But... the headphone jack is outdated!!! We need to replace this one, universal standard with 20 competing standards, none of which work as well and all are incompatible with each other!!!

1 hour ago, Nowak said:

Oh, there is a reason. It's so they can sell the headphone jack back to you post-sale for extra profit, because obviously charging you $1000 for a phone that costs $325 to build wasn't enough profit.

They know you'll lose the 3.5mm adapter. So they sell you replacements for $20, and sometimes even lock you out of using cheaper alternatives. At least Apple has a reason other than "shitty anti-consumerism", on the Android side of things it's completely ridiculous.

Please, please stop repeating the myth that Apple is charging three times what it costs to make its devices.

Those cost breakdowns only cover the raw bill of materials and basic assembly.  They don't cover patent licensing, R&D, shipping and the many other costs involved in making and selling the device.  Apple's gross profit margin typically hovers around 35 to 38 percent.  That's still higher than what some Android vendors charge, but it's much lower than the 200 percent you're implying.  And I'd rather have 38 percent than what some Android vendors do -- that is, bleed as much cash as possible in a bid to gain a tiny slice of market share.  I'd rather not have a preferred vendor commit long-term hara kiri just because I want to pay less for a phone.

6 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

I am not sure why they don't simply have a small display on the back to allow you to take a selfie with the rear camera. 

Exactly. The type of small LCD you get on actual cameras. I suppose it would compromise the thickness of the device, just too much going on inside maybe. Regardless, the front camera is always inferior anyway, it seems stupid to me that we need to punch a hole in the display so we can get a second, more inferior camera into a phone, so that people can simultaniously see themselves while taking a picture of themselves.....

1 hour ago, sYNTHwAVE said:

Exactly. The type of small LCD you get on actual cameras. I suppose it would compromise the thickness of the device, just too much going on inside maybe. Regardless, the front camera is always inferior anyway, it seems stupid to me that we need to punch a hole in the display so we can get a second, more inferior camera into a phone, so that people can simultaniously see themselves while taking a picture of themselves.....

Back in the day people didn't know how the picture looked until they had the film developed. Now people can't be bothered with just taking the picture and then seeing if it was good and retake it if it wasn't. 

17 minutes ago, Brooksie359 said:

Back in the day people didn't know how the picture looked until they had the film developed. Now people can't be bothered with just taking the picture and then seeing if it was good and retake it if it wasn't. 

exactly. and think of the logistics now involved in trying to make this front camera work lol how much r&d money has been thrown into this lol

I don't even need the front camera. I'm not one of those narcissists who need to take selfies all day long, day after day...

5 hours ago, Brooksie359 said:

People also lived without the internet, color tv, ....., and basic medicine.

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

4 hours ago, RejZoR said:

I don't even need the front camera. I'm not one of those narcissists who need to take selfies all day long, day after day...

So people who use the front camera are narcissist? 

37 minutes ago, mynameisjuan said:

So people who use the front camera are narcissist? 

If they take excessive amounts of selfies, yes.

Come Bloody Angel

Break off your chains

And look what I've found in the dirt.

Pale battered body

Seems she was struggling

Something is wrong with this world.

Fierce Bloody Angel

The blood is on your hands

Why did you come to this world?

Everybody turns to dust.

Everybody turns to dust.

The blood is on your hands.

The blood is on your hands!

Pyo.

32 minutes ago, Drak3 said:

If they take excessive amounts of selfies, yes.

Especially ducklips 

2 hours ago, 79wjd said:

People also lived without the internet, color tv, ....., and basic medicine.

If you think the notch is anywhere near equivalent to those then you are hopeless. The notch is about as innovative as removing the headphone jack on a phone. By that I mean hugely inconvenient with little to no benefit. 

On 12/11/2018 at 2:22 AM, Furiku said:

It's curious to see what kind of applications we're going to see from other manufactorers in regards of the Front facing camera and getting rid of the notch

You will see more convert surveillance by government and companies and stores.