Noise from mixer wall-wart?

corrado33

I have multiple PCs so I use a mixer so that I can just use a single set of headphones. However, the mixer's wal-wart (a freaking weird 18V AC or something like that) causes noise to be passed to my headphones. If I take any of the computers and plug them directly into the headphones, no noise, but if I use the mixer, there's a buzzing. And it's not consistent at all, which is weird. The noise will go away for months, then come back for a month, I think it has something to do with the electrics in the house. I have found out that if I move the power cord around under my desk it'll change the noise. If I get it JUST RIGHT, I can make it not have noise. I don't know why honestly.

I'm unsure if the power supply is shitty, or if the power line is simply picking up noise from the million other power cables I have running under my desk. (No the audio cords are not running beside the power cords.) 

Is there any sort of filter I can use that's not horribly overpriced and plug this thing into?

Is the mixer connected to ground?

does it have a big plug and uses a barrel jack for power?

What's the make and model?

1 minute ago, SuperCloneRanger said:

Is the mixer connected to ground?

does it have a big plug and uses a barrel jack for power?

What's the make and model?

No

Yes

Cheap ass ALTO ZMX52

I could probably rig up a wire running from the metal bits of the case to ground if you'd think that'd help.

I do, make sure you connect it to bare metal, it won't work through the paint. then i recommend connecting the other end to a computer case. loosen a power supply screw, wrap the wire around it then screw it back down.

If this doesn't work let me know, there are a couple of other things it could be. poor grounding is just the most likely and easiest to test.