Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Sold old i5, new i7 not working

Go to solution Solved by Rhett Quigley,

I removed the CMOS battery and placed it back in, nothing. Then I thought I maybe installed the i7 wrong so I removed it and then placed that back in. Now it works. Not sure what I did wrong before. All is good now.

I sold my old i5 4690k and bought a i7 4790. Now my computer doesn't work. I heard that the bios may need to be updated but I don't have the old cpu to do that. What do I do?

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.

I'd send you my i5-4460 but after all the shipping costs and stuff it'd be easier to buy something like an i5-4440 or a Celeron like @campy said.

Try to reset the CMOS on your motherboard...those CPU's are both haswell refresh so if the old i5 was working the new one will work without a bios update.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

11 minutes ago, philquad said:

actually, it may be something else, as both of those chips are haswell refresh & it says here

https://www.asrock.com/support/cpu.asp?s=1150&u=737

your board supports it on both chips from the "all" bios

but maybe im wrong

Maybe your right, doesn't look like a firmware version problem at all.

AWOL

39 minutes ago, campy said:

Its as simple as you stated, you need an older haswell CPU to update the bios.

Here's the interesting part: 4690K and 4790 are both Devil's Canyon(Haswell Refresh) CPUs.

OP: I would start by resetting the CMOS, and if it still doesn't boot, find some way to sysprep your Windows installation and see if that works.

Quote or tag me( @Crunchy Dragon) if you want me to see your reply

If my post solved your problem/answered your question, please consider marking it as "solved"

Community Standards // PSU Tier List // Bugs and Issues // Join Floatplane! // Join the LTT Official Discord //

I removed the CMOS battery and placed it back in, nothing. Then I thought I maybe installed the i7 wrong so I removed it and then placed that back in. Now it works. Not sure what I did wrong before. All is good now.

Intel Core i7 4790 CPU  - Stock cooler - Gigabyte GTX 1080 GPU

Asrock Z97 Pro4 Motherboard - HyperX 16GB DDR3 1866 MHz Ram (Dual Channel) - Cooler Master V750 PSU

Samsumg Evo 250gb SSD - Segate 2TB - NZXT S340 Mid-tower.