Strange device on network??!

TurtleZero

So recently I was looking at my network overview through file explorer, (Windows 10), and I found something very odd.

A device under the 'Computers' category titled "csm_radar". Double clicking doesn't lead to any device webpage or anything, just a properties window (screenshot attached).

Under manufacturer, it says Amazon, and for model it says AEORD. Other than that it only lists the mac address, everything else says unavailable. It is highly unlikely that anyone else would know my WiFi password.

I am utterly perplexed as to what this might mean, any insight would be greatly appreciated.

csm_radar.PNG.23e30fa8adbbb2d41a5d1bfd25068099.PNG

If I'm not mistaken that's and Amazon echo smart speaker of some sort. That model number suggests so and it's manufactured by Amazon.

Main system: Ryzen 5 1600 | ASRock A320M | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | GTX 1060 | 1TB WD BLUE

Server: AMD A6-7400K@4.3Ghz | 8GB 1866 DDR3 RAM | 2TB total storage

On the go: Thinkpad E440 | i5 4200M | 8GB DDR3 1600MHz | 500GB HDD

1 minute ago, potatosalad33 said:

If I'm not mistaken that's and Amazon echo smart speaker of some sort. That model number suggests so and it's manufactured by Amazon.

I should've clarified- I don't own any amazon smart products. I only have a google home and a chromecast...??.

Why not just block the MAC address in your router and see what in your house doesn't work anymore?

Online suggestions suggest it could be related to comcast internet? Or an amazon fire tablet.

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Why not just block the MAC address in your router and see what in your house doesn't work anymore?

Online suggestions suggest it could be related to comcast internet? Or an amazon fire tablet.

I looked into this, however the mac address doesn't even show up in the DHCP connection list. I suppose I could try blacklisting it anyway...

Also I don't have Comcast, I actually have FiOS. Don't even have a fire tablet lol.

I'd recommend you change your WiFi password just to be safe

Main system: Ryzen 5 1600 | ASRock A320M | 8GB 2400MHz DDR4 RAM | GTX 1060 | 1TB WD BLUE

11 minutes ago, TurtleZero said:

I looked into this, however the mac address doesn't even show up in the DHCP connection list. I suppose I could try blacklisting it anyway...

Also I don't have Comcast, I actually have FiOS. Don't even have a fire tablet lol.

Oh, sorry, that was my device. My bad, I connected to your router by accident. Sorry. I'll disconnect it immediately...

NOTE: I no longer frequent this site. If you really need help, PM/DM me and my e.mail will alert me. 

20 minutes ago, TurtleZero said:

Yeah, put it on the MAC blacklist. 

Then change your wifi password, and disable WPS if you can. (WPS makes almost any router hackable in ~24 hours.) 

Well I just discovered that this device appears and disappears periodically. Not sure if this is useful, but still.

8 minutes ago, potatosalad33 said:

I'd recommend you change your WiFi password just to be safe

Done thanks.

3 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Then change your wifi password, and disable WPS if you can. (WPS makes almost any router hackable in ~24 hours.) 

Yeah, and aside from disabling wps (it's security is crap) set the wpa2 encryption to AES only. It's much more secure than TKIP

3 minutes ago, potatosalad33 said:

Yeah, and aside from disabling wps (that is crap) set the wpa2 encryption to AES only. It's much more secure than TKIP

5 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

After looking through my network settings, I can confirm that doesn't even support WPS. I checked and I have WPA2 enabled. Will be on the lookout for any devices that stop working. Other than that, thanks guys!

1 minute ago, TurtleZero said:

After looking through my network settings, I can confirm that doesn't even support WPS. I checked and I have WPA2 enabled. Will be on the lookout for any devices that stop working. Other than that, thanks guys!

In that case, I really wouldn't worry about it. Cracking WPA2, while possible, is extremely improbable. It's probably just a virtual device that connected to monitor your amazon shopping or something. 

Just now, corrado33 said:

In that case, I really wouldn't worry about it. Cracking WPA2, while possible, is extremely improbable. It's probably just a virtual device that connected to monitor your amazon shopping or something. 

Well that's creepy to say the least, but good to know that it isn't something dangerous.

13 hours ago, TurtleZero said:

Well that's creepy to say the least, but good to know that it isn't something dangerous.

If its not showing in the DHCP list is it perhaps a service on one of your existing devices rather than a physical device?

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7

9 hours ago, Alex Atkin UK said:

If its not showing in the DHCP list is it perhaps a service on one of your existing devices rather than a physical device?

Hmmm....

I guess this could be possible, have no idea as to what it would be though.....

If you're using a laptop then your wifi is picking this up as a rogue device. This is a firestick, similar to chromecast. It makes itself into a hotspot to be configured or controlled. If you have google chrome installed, open up youtube and play a video - on the bottom right hand corner of the video you should see a Cast button - give that a try and see if you can cast to this device.

• 1 month later...

Not sure where my last post went (maybe I forgot to post it), but I read that having WPS enabled on your router will cause any devices that probes it (and many do without being asked) to show up on the network like this.  Disabling WPS is both more secure and will stop this happening.

Router:  Intel N100 (pfSense) WiFi6: Zyxel NWA210AX (1.7Gbit peak at 160Mhz)
WiFi5: Ubiquiti NanoHD OpenWRT (~500Mbit at 80Mhz) Switches: Netgear MS510TXUP, MS510TXPP, GS110EMX
ISPs: Zen Full Fibre 900 (~930Mbit down, 115Mbit up) + Three 5G (~800Mbit down, 115Mbit up)
Upgrading Laptop/Desktop CNVIo WiFi 5 cards to PCIe WiFi6e/7