Need help deciding on a GPU upgrade

Dovaogedy

Hey guys

Finally in the market to finish upgrading my budget build from about a year ago which featured an I3 8100 and 3gb GTX 1060

I upgraded my CPU and now im looking at a new GPU to pair with my I5 8400

As far as displays go, i currently use a 1080p 60 hz monitor but i also have a 55inch 4k TV i use for my consoles

My budget is basically under $500 but im willing to wait for a few months and save, and by $500 that would include an RTX 2070

As far as what im looking to game at, id say either 1440p or 4k, 1440p seems to be far easier to run given my rig so id say id have to focus on 1440p 144hz once i get the monitor for it(I can do 1440p, 60 hz on my TV)

Ive looked online and it looks like the GTX 1080's are overpriced and out of stock and its basically a GTX 1070, a GTX 1070ti or RTX 2070 are my only options if i wanted to buy now

Ive been considering waiting and seeing what the early specs are on a GTX/RTX 2060 and seeing what they charge for it, if its a $299 price i might lean towards that and stick with 1080p/1440p 60 hz type of resolution

And for reference my computer is stock, i run

I5 8400

16gb 2400 MHZ Ram

3GB GTX 1060

EVGA B3 650 Watt PSU(bronze)

What do you guys think i should go for? I had been leaning towards a 1070ti but im not sure i want to buy past gen and while i dont know much about DLSS it seems promising

As far as games go which i forgot to write originally, i play basically anything including triple A titles. Yesterday night i decided to try out Forza Horizon 4 and was disappointed when my GTX 1060 could only run it at medium settings. Im not looking at just e sports type of titles

Long post, wrapping it up im stuck on what i should get and if i should wait and see what a 2060 card brings to the table

Edited by Dovaogedy
edited to add what types of games i play

If you have the patience i would at least wait with buying until some are released, since that would also make the 1070ti somewhat cheaper.

And isnt the RTX2070 like just a 1070ti with RTX glued on?

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

1 minute ago, HanZie82 said:

If you have the patience i would at least wait with buying until some are released, since that would also make the 1070ti somewhat cheaper.

yeah they are similiar with the 2070 being overpriced. Im just uneducated on DLSS myself and sort if in wait and see mode on how it works

3 minutes ago, Firewrath9 said:

a nice aftermarket 1070 ti (~350-400$), and save the extra cash for either a monitor upgrade or peripherals.

Ive seen some GTX 1070ti's going for around $350-370 new on Amazon and Newegg and those were my first idea

I was originally hoping that when they were getting ready to announce the 2000 series that the 2060 would have been in the 1070ti range in terms of power for $300 but thats not happening

Well as Linus said in the video about (sorry i totaly forgot wich one) 1st itterations are usualy the worst ones. 
Not sure if the DLSS is new on the RTX but yeah, I wouldnt expect to much of it.

When i ask for more specs, don't expect me to know the answer!
I'm just helping YOU to help YOURSELF!
(The more info you give the easier it is for others to help you out!)

Not willing to capitulate to the ignorance of the masses!

5 minutes ago, HanZie82 said:

Well as Linus said in the video about (sorry i totaly forgot wich one) 1st itterations are usualy the worst ones. 
Not sure if the DLSS is new on the RTX but yeah, I wouldnt expect to much of it.

Yeah in my head ive been asking myself is it worth it to make around $400 jump in the same series of cards? I.e. from a 3gb 1060 to a 1070ti

Ill likely wait and see what they reveal about the 2060 series but im still undecided, the 1070ti is a really nice card but limited choices for brand new

I really dont care for ray tracing so if they did release a "GTX 2060" that performed well and had a decent price i would be all over it

11 minutes ago, Dovaogedy said:

- snip -

Ill likely wait and see what they reveal about the 2060 series but im still undecided, the 1070ti is a really nice card but limited choices for brand new

I really dont care for ray tracing so if they did release a "GTX 2060" that performed well and had a decent price i would be all over it

Does anyone actually know anything about the GTX/RTX 2060? I'm probably out of the loop, but isn't waiting on that comparable to waiting on AMD's Navi RX 3080/3070?

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

47 minutes ago, ATFink said:

Does anyone actually know anything about the GTX/RTX 2060? I'm probably out of the loop, but isn't waiting on that comparable to waiting on AMD's Navi RX 3080/3070?

Dont think they have said much

One last question if anybody happens to view this thread as i dont want to start a new one

My 650 watt PSU, if i keep everything stock and dont OC, how much GPU can this thing handle with the new RTX series?

Could i get a 2080 or 2080ti in this rig or i would i need a cpu and/or PSU upgrade?

Thats one other option ive considered saving up for but its less likely

2 hours ago, Dovaogedy said:

One last question if anybody happens to view this thread as i dont want to start a new one

My 650 watt PSU, if i keep everything stock and dont OC, how much GPU can this thing handle with the new RTX series?

Could i get a 2080 or 2080ti in this rig or i would i need a cpu and/or PSU upgrade?

Thats one other option ive considered saving up for but its less likely

650w is absolutely fine, but the B3 is not the best PSU in the world. It's not trash or anything, but I'd want a more reputable PSU to power a higher end system for an extended period of time. To be clear I'm no PSU expert. Check out the users that frequent the PSU threads for accurate/detailed info if you're interested.

CPU: i7 4790k @ 4.7 GHz

GPU: XFX GTS RX580 4GB

Cooling: Corsair h100i

Mobo: Asus z97-A 

RAM: 4x8 GB 1600 MHz Corsair Vengence

PSU: Corsair HX850

Case: NZXT S340 Elite Tempered glass edition

Display: LG 29UM68-P

Keyboard: Roccat Ryos MK FX RGB

Mouse: Logitech g900 Chaos Spectrum

Headphones: Sennheiser HD6XX

Gaming on your TV probably won't be a very enjoyable experience, just putting that out there.  So much latency.  Good for playing more open world RPG style games where timing, and speed aren't that important.  But if you want to play any sort of game requiring quick response time, your TV probably won't cut it. 

Now, the monitor you currently have, does it have G Sync or Free Sync tech in it?  If so, I'd suggest picking a card that matches that.  (i.e. Free Sync = AMD, G Sync = Nvidia)

Since you're not in a hurry, you might as well wait a little bit until AMD does officially announce their new lines.  While they may not necessarily be released next month at CES, at we'll know general specs and a possible release date. 

21 hours ago, HanZie82 said:

more like a 1080, but yeah.