9700k + H110i overheating

Go to solution Solved by lfergusson,

so turns out i wasn't getting a good mount with the cooler, after re installing the back plate, temps are at 40C under load. Thanks for all the help!!

I recently installed a 9700k into an asus z390-e strix cooled by a Corsair H110i. At idle the CPU package sits at around 29 degrees C, however when i run an AIDA64 stress test the package reaches 89 degrees, and the hottest cores report 100 degrees. I have tried re-seating and reapplying thermal compound many times to no avail. Any help that could be provided would be greatly appreciated because currently under load the CPU is throttling by a maximum of 17%. 

Untitled.png

No clue what your cooler is

edit: there i go again, it's in your title

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

What's your room temperature 

CPU:R9 3900x@4.5Ghz RAM:Vengeance Pro LPX @ 3200mhz MOBO:MSI Tomohawk B350 GPU:PNY GTX 1080 XLR8

DRIVES:500GB Samsung 970 Pro + Patriot Blast 480GB x2 + 12tb RAID10 NAS

MONITORS:Pixio PX329 32inch 1440p 165hz, LG 34UM68-p 1080p 75hz

7 minutes ago, JohnDongus said:

What's your room temperature 

My room temperature is around 21c

The temperatures are high, but possibly normal. the 9 series intels run hot.

it appears that these temperatures all at stock settings?

One of the things that I am seeing is AVX, AVX instruction set stress testing will give much higher thermal results than a standard stress test.

If this stress test is using AVX:

1. are you planning on using AVX regularly in your normal usage of the CPU? if so, an AVX offset may help the temps

2. if not then run a non AVX stress test and see what happens with the temperatures.

also: I have seen some youtubers with very high temps get good results from lapping their CPU IHS due to some IHS's having a convex shape that impedes thermal transfer to the cooler.

so turns out i wasn't getting a good mount with the cooler, after re installing the back plate, temps are at 40C under load. Thanks for all the help!!