8600k bottleneck at 1070ti SLI

kuzzikan

Hey Everyone, I'm new here but not new to the PC building. Although, for a while I haven't built anything, this September I finally got myself some pleasure :)

With secondhand GPU prices dropping in my local country, I decided that as I can go with 1070ti SLI for the price of one 1080ti, I gave it a shoot as it was my dream to have a multi-gpu setup. Wasnt my best choice, but still its a beauty. Yes, I game in 4k, so eventually I still see it was a decent choice, and will be in the future as well.

I have picked a 8600k, thought the 6 cores will do the trick, and also a Corsair H115i, to keep the potential for overclocking if needed. Yesterday, I needed it. BF5 64player seemed to bottlenecking the GPUs, each going around 70% and FPS dropping. I overclocked to 5.27 from a 5.0, which solved the issue with the cooler (of course) handling the heat, but it got me thinking whether I need to upgrade in the near future. I haven't built anything for like 8 years, and by that time we usually disabled HT for gaming, but this seems to be changed (yep my bad on not looking it up). So, do I need an i7 so be stable with this SLI config? What would you suggest for me to buy?

Thanks a lot in advance!

1 minute ago, kuzzikan said:

game in 4k, so eventually I still see it was a decent choice, and will be in the future as well.

Highly doubt the CPUs the bottleneck.

5 minutes ago, kuzzikan said:

BF5 64player seemed to bottlenecking the GPUs

Nani.

Multi GPU just isn't supported by most devs anymore. Hardware Unboxed did a video yesterday investigating Xfire performance on several games. BF V showed negative scaling.

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

while out of the box dx12 mgpu is not supported, dx11 SLI is manageable, and my GPUs scale perfectly. IF I don't cap at 100% CPU my GPUs are alongside at 99% usage, which is not only a number cause with one card full ultra settings I was sitting around 37FPS, with the second card enabled I'm capped at 60 (yes I play with vsync), but if thats off even bursts up to the mid 80s.

CPU bottleneck is observed in my case and not just a theory

23 minutes ago, kuzzikan said:

while out of the box dx12 mgpu is not supported, dx11 SLI is manageable, and my GPUs scale perfectly. IF I don't cap at 100% CPU my GPUs are alongside at 99% usage, which is not only a number cause with one card full ultra settings I was sitting around 37FPS, with the second card enabled I'm capped at 60 (yes I play with vsync), but if thats off even bursts up to the mid 80s.

CPU bottleneck is observed in my case and not just a theory

I don't understand what you're trying to say. So your GPUs scaled perfectly and you get 90-100% more frames?

Ryzen 5 1600 @ 3.9 Ghz  | Gigabyte AB350M Gaming 3 |  PaliT GTX 1050Ti  |  8gb Kingston HyperX Fury @ 2933 Mhz  |  Corsair CX550m  |  1 TB WD Blue HDD

Inside some old case I found lying around.

16 minutes ago, bleedblue said:

Multi GPU just isn't supported by most devs anymore. Hardware Unboxed did a video yesterday investigating Xfire performance on several games. BF V showed negative scaling.

Can confirm. My friend always wanted a multi-gpu rig too, so he purchased a second RX 580 Nitro+ but when we tested it with both cards installed, the results were extremely disappointing. Literally no scaling at all in AC Odyssey and BF V... CPU wasn't an issue here since he's got an oc'd Ryzen 7 2700X. He ended up sending the card back after the AMD customer support told him that it was pretty much the game developers fault and that the problem wasn't with his pc.

6 minutes ago, Silver47 said:

Can confirm. My friend always wanted a multi-gpu rig too, so he purchased a second RX 580 Nitro+ but when we tested it with both cards installed, the results were extremely disappointing. Literally no scaling at all in AC Odyssey and BF V... CPU wasn't an issue here since he's got an oc'd Ryzen 7 2700X. He ended up sending the card back after the AMD customer support told him that it was pretty much the game developers fault and that the problem wasn't with his pc.

Hardware Unboxed recently tested Crossfire with 590, turns out BF V (with few other new titles) does not support it at all, while BF 1 did

Ex-EX build: Liquidfy C+... R.I.P.

Ex-build:

Meshify C – sold

Ryzen 5 1600x @4.0 GHz/1.4V – sold

Gigabyte X370 Aorus Gaming K7 – sold

Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8 GB @3200 Mhz – sold

Alpenfoehn Brocken 3 Black Edition – it's somewhere

Sapphire Vega 56 Pulse – ded

Intel SSD 660p 1TB – sold

be Quiet! Straight Power 11 750w – sold

36 minutes ago, kuzzikan said:

BF5 64player seemed to bottlenecking the GPUs, each going around 70% and FPS dropping.

BFV doesn't support multi GPU in DX11 or 12 properly, and the CPU isn't the bottleneck at that clock speed either.

How does it do in proper SLI supported titles at 4K?

PC Specs - AMD Ryzen 7 5800X3D MSI B550M Mortar - 32GB Corsair Vengeance RGB DDR4-3600 @ CL16 - ASRock RX7800XT 660p 1TBGB & Crucial P5 1TB Fractal Define Mini C CM V750v2 - Windows 11 Pro

You're more likely to be running into games that don't support SLI instead of a bottleneck.

SLI is nearly dead by now.

Personal Desktop":

CPU: Intel Core i7 10700K @5ghz |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock Pro 4 |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Z490UD ATX|~| RAM: 16gb DDR4 3333mhzCL16 G.Skill Trident Z |~| GPU: RX 6900XT Sapphire Nitro+ |~| PSU: Corsair TX650M 80Plus Gold |~| Boot:  SSD WD Green M.2 2280 240GB |~| Storage: 1x3TB HDD 7200rpm Seagate Barracuda + SanDisk Ultra 3D 1TB |~| Case: Fractal Design Meshify C Mini |~| Display: Toshiba UL7A 4K/60hz |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro.

Luna, the temporary Desktop:

CPU: AMD R9 7950XT  |~| Cooling: bq! Dark Rock 4 Pro |~| MOBO: Gigabyte Aorus Master |~| RAM: 32G Kingston HyperX |~| GPU: AMD Radeon RX 7900XTX (Reference) |~| PSU: Corsair HX1000 80+ Platinum |~| Windows Boot Drive: 2x 512GB (1TB total) Plextor SATA SSD (RAID0 volume) |~| Linux Boot Drive: 500GB Kingston A2000 |~| Storage: 4TB WD Black HDD |~| Case: Cooler Master Silencio S600 |~| Display 1 (leftmost): Eizo (unknown model) 1920x1080 IPS @ 60Hz|~| Display 2 (center): BenQ ZOWIE XL2540 1920x1080 TN @ 240Hz |~| Display 3 (rightmost): Wacom Cintiq Pro 24 3840x2160 IPS @ 60Hz 10-bit |~| OS: Windows 10 Pro (games / art) + Linux (distro: NixOS; programming and daily driver)