Need a Tool to Help me merge folders.

CarlBar

In the process of a major data recovery effort on a drive i accidentally formatted windows 10 onto. That parts largely going ok, but because of what windows does during install the tool i'm using has gotten bit confused and has found roughly 40 partitions to recover. Thats fair enough it's grouping files by partition. but obviously a lot of files and folders are getting duplicated and not all folders contain the same info and some of the duplicate files are corrupt versions.

Before i actually go through this mess to decide what to keep and what i can throw i could use a tool to help me merge all of these results together. Windows copy paste cna tell if 2 files share the same filename, but it can't tell if the data contents are the same.

I'm hoping someone can point me to a known good win 10 compatible tool that will let me merge everything throwing out duplicate filenames with the same data but keep duplicated filename files with different data, (presumably saving them under a new name).

A google search just turned up a lot of results about windows own copy past system alas so hoping the people here can help.

Honestly? I'd download linux from the windows store and use rsync. It's literally built for this, and is one of the, if not THE most powerful folder syncing tool out there. Or you can google around for windows implementations of rsync. But I googled for like 30 seconds and could only find paid programs. 

Alternatively, if you have access to a mac, share the folder on windows and use rsync on the mac to do it. 

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not exactly what you wanted, but rsync IS the syncing program to solve all your problems. 

EDIT2: Windows powershell has a command called "robocopy" which is like a stripped down version or rsync. 

Usage here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc733145(v=ws.10)

EDIT3: I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend syncing to a DIFFERENT destination folder and NOT in place and do NOT delete after. Syncing commands are always a pain to get right and I always manage to screw it up at least twice before I get it to do what I want. 

• 2 weeks later...
On 12/10/2018 at 7:11 AM, corrado33 said:

Honestly? I'd download linux from the windows store and use rsync. It's literally built for this, and is one of the, if not THE most powerful folder syncing tool out there. Or you can google around for windows implementations of rsync. But I googled for like 30 seconds and could only find paid programs. 

Alternatively, if you have access to a mac, share the folder on windows and use rsync on the mac to do it. 

EDIT: Sorry, I know that's not exactly what you wanted, but rsync IS the syncing program to solve all your problems. 

EDIT2: Windows powershell has a command called "robocopy" which is like a stripped down version or rsync. 

Usage here.

https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/previous-versions/windows/it-pro/windows-server-2008-R2-and-2008/cc733145(v=ws.10)

EDIT3: I HIGHLY, HIGHLY recommend syncing to a DIFFERENT destination folder and NOT in place and do NOT delete after. Syncing commands are always a pain to get right and I always manage to screw it up at least twice before I get it to do what I want. 

Apologies for not getting back to you for so long, christmas runup amongst other things has been keeping me busy. I genuinely wouldn't have a clue where to start with linux, i'd need a pretty thorough tutorial from someone TBH.