Why is my 2700x cooler fan so aggressive?

Kaitlyn

I've got a new computer build and the core components are:

- Ryzen 2700x w/ stock cooler
- ASRock B450 Gaming-ITX/ac motherboard
- Fractal design core 500 case

Everything seems to run fine, I've tried different fan modes in the bios, but it just seems nothing really has an affect on the noise constantly spinning up when doing ANYTHING intensive.

For example, I'll load a photo into photoshop and select an area, do a content-aware fill. IMMEDIATELY the fan will speed up and get super loud. But this only happens for a few seconds, then it goes lower RPM and quieter again. So this happens over and over any time I perform some CPU operation. It becomes super noticeable and annoying as it's constantly ramping up and down.

Here is attached graph where at the end, I was content-aware filling a space. Waiting for fans to quiet again, wait approx 5 seconds, and do it again. I did it 4 times with the last time CPU jumping up to 77.

Is it normal for the CPU to spike like this? The fan? I also more recently tested rendering a video i had in Davinci Resolve and the CPU was hitting 93-94c... and of course the fan was louddd

Something wrong with fan setting? Sensor? CPU cooler? CPU paste? Help please!

cpu.jpg

22 minutes ago, Kaitlyn said:

Is it normal for the CPU to spike like this? The fan? I also more recently tested rendering a video i had in Davinci Resolve and the CPU was hitting 93-94c... and of course the fan was louddd

So you're pushing the CPU quite well (Davinci Resolve uses quite a bit of CPU power as far as I know) and it's using a stock cooler in an ITX case? 

Doesn't really surprise me that your CPU was hitting 93-94c. 

22 minutes ago, Kaitlyn said:

For example, I'll load a photo into photoshop and select an area, do a content-aware fill. IMMEDIATELY the fan will speed up and get super loud. But this only happens for a few seconds, then it goes lower RPM and quieter again. So this happens over and over any time I perform some CPU operation. It becomes super noticeable and annoying as it's constantly ramping up and down.

It's just the fact that your CPU is being pushed whenever you do that, therefore the CPU cooler needs to ramp up to actually cool the thing. 

My solution for this at the very least is to get a low profile cooler (Noctua L9i, Silverstone AR06 etc.), seeing as your PC was hitting 93-94c when being heavily utilised. 

11 hours ago, 1kv said:

So you're pushing the CPU quite well (Davinci Resolve uses quite a bit of CPU power as far as I know) and it's using a stock cooler in an ITX case? 

Doesn't really surprise me that your CPU was hitting 93-94c. 

It's just the fact that your CPU is being pushed whenever you do that, therefore the CPU cooler needs to ramp up to actually cool the thing. 

My solution for this at the very least is to get a low profile cooler (Noctua L9i, Silverstone AR06 etc.), seeing as your PC was hitting 93-94c when being heavily utilised. 

Hmm would throw noctua be much different than the stock wraith cooler?

I thought I read somewhere that the CPU shouldn't go above 80c or something? I realize I'm doing rather intensive tasks but I'm starting to wonder if there is still a potential problem with the paste or cooler or something.

It is an itx case but I tried to maximize airflow with open top grill (should I consider putting fan or fans there?) And case it elevated off ground.

First AMD and ITX build but my old xps 8500 with an i7-3770 and gtx 1060 gb noise profile didn't even come close to comparing yo this...

The core 500 has CPU cooler height support of 170mm

1 minute ago, Kaitlyn said:

I thought I read somewhere that the CPU shouldn't go above 80c or something? I realize I'm doing rather intensive tasks but I'm starting to wonder if there is still a potential problem with the paste or cooler or something.

It is an itx case but I tried to maximize airflow with open top grill (should I consider putting fan or fans there?) And case it elevated off ground.

First AMD and ITX build but my old xps 8500 with an i7-3770 and gtx 1060 gb noise profile didn't even come close to comparing yo this...

At stock with the stock cooler my 2700X hit 85C in torture tests, so 80+ is pretty normal. I upgraded to a 280mm AIO though, it keeps it around 60-70 pretty much all the time. You could get a Noctua NH-D15, cooler height is 160mm (says 165mm with fans but I fit an NH-D15S in an S340 Elite with 160mm clearance), and it cools about as well/better than most 240mm AIOs. 

Intel HEDT and Server platform enthusiasts: Intel HEDT Xeon/i7 Megathread 

Main PC 

CPU: i9 7980XE @4.5GHz/1.22v/-2 AVX offset 

Cooler: EKWB Supremacy Block - custom loop w/360mm +280mm rads 

Motherboard: EVGA X299 Dark 

RAM:4x8GB HyperX Predator DDR4 @3200Mhz CL16 

GPU: Nvidia FE 2060 Super/Corsair HydroX 2070 FE block 

Storage:  1TB MP34 + 1TB 970 Evo + 500GB Atom30 + 250GB 960 Evo 

Optical Drives: LG WH14NS40 

PSU: EVGA 1600W T2 

Case & Fans: Corsair 750D Airflow - 3x Noctua iPPC NF-F12 + 4x Noctua iPPC NF-A14 PWM 

Display: LG 27UK650-W (4K 60Hz IPS panel)

Mouse: EVGA X17

Keyboard: Corsair K55 RGB

Mobile/Work Devices: 2020 M1 MacBook Air (work computer) - iPhone 13 Pro Max - Apple Watch S3

Other Misc Devices: iPod Video (Gen 5.5E, 128GB SD card swap, running Rockbox), Nintendo Switch

38 minutes ago, Kaitlyn said:

First AMD and ITX build but my old xps 8500 with an i7-3770 and gtx 1060 gb noise profile didn't even come close to comparing yo this...

1. Yes, it'll make a pretty noticeable difference if you buy a Noctua cooler.

2. You shouldn't push the CPU to high temperatures (like 90c) but 80c is normal for your type of usage.

3. The XPS 8500 has a standard desktop case which allows for better airflow, which explains why the noise profile is different.

So I just did a test.

- Fresh boot (but stuff loaded/opened and whatnot), waited for a bit of idle where the CPU temp was reported as 30-31c.

- Then I rendered my video clip in davinci resolve. Took just shy of 6 minutes.

- Looks like the Tdie maxed at 74.25c whereas the Tctl was 84.25 (what's the difference?)

- Case was open, so open airflow on sides+top

- I believe I had also changed BIOS for CPU fan to Standard (was on quiet before)

- Task manager was showing consistent 95-100% CPU usage at just shy of 4Ghz (it's not overclocked, but can't it go up to 4.5 on stock or something?)

Z6IMNm4.jpg

Would really appreciate clarification that these temps are fine - I think they are? Indicates the CPU+cooler is indeed working acceptably. Fan is definitely noisy - maybe just a trait of the stock cooler? I'm not against a better/quieter cooler though if I can delay that purchase and deal with it later... would probably prefer that :)

If above is indeed fine, and I put case back on and run into temp problems, then it's likely a case problem which I'd need to improve on or consider replacing? It does have space for 1 or 2 (120mm i think?) fans up top. I'm not really interested in watercooling...

**EDIT:** So I just turned off computer, put case back on and booted up. I can't really get the temp to drop below 38c. It'll get down there, then shoot back up to about 44 on a bit of an endless loop. 7+ degrees idle difference by having the case attached? eek :(

I did do the same video render and it peaked at about 79.5, so basically that same 7+ degree gap...