Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

PC tripping breaker when playing game.

DarthSolidus

I recently made changes to my rig hardware, more like a reconfiguration, so virtually the computer is the same. The last two days the circuit breaker has been tripping about 10-15 minutes from starting a game, so far Fornite in this case, although the day I made the changes I was playing Sky Force Anniversary without a problem. I have to add, there is either an AC or Heater (in this case) on since I dont have central HVAC. I have also at time ave a dual Xeon Server and usual appliances (ceiling fan, wife PC running at the same time without a problem before the reconfiguration.

My rig components:

Core i7 4820K 

24gb Ram G-Skill

Asrock X79 Extreme 4-M LGA 2011

Samsung 750 Evo SSD Windows 10 Pro

Couple more HDDs and asus BR-burner

Asus TurboGTX 1080Ti in SLI Using Nvidia HB bridge

Corsair H100i heaqtsink watercooler block

Corsair AX1200i PSU

Cooler Master HAF Box case

I wanted to have more space between the GPUs for ventilation but the motherboard is small and all three PCIe 3.0 are close together. I got my hand on a PCIe flexible cable (EZDIY X001AQN4YD) and figure that I could just buy a new bridge and connect the second GPU to to the same slot while keeping away from the main GPU. I modified the case to allow for the cable routing and got the cards connected. Upon booting up the computer didnt detect any changes and everything was running the same. And like I mentioned before, I played SF with my kids all night but the next day after having Fortnite (all setting on Epic) running for about 15 minute  the breaker tripped.

So im wondering what could be wrong if the setup is pretty much the same.

So far I reset the hardware back to its original setup and everything is working well. I would like to have the GPUs  apart but turning off the heater is not an option. 

Any help or insight would be appreciated.

MG

ao1.jpg

ao2.jpg

ao3.jpg

Spoiler

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz      Mobo: Asrock X-79 Extreme 4-M

Ram: G.SKILL TridentX Series 24GB             Graphics: Asus Turbo GTX 1080Ti 11GB SLI

Monitor: - Vizio M321i-A2 32", HP 27WM (x2) in Nvidia Surround 5760x1080  - Element E1SW2418M 1920x1080

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO LAN Box        HDD:Samsung 750 EVO SSD         PSU: Corsair AX1200i           Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard

Game Keyboard: Logitech G13 Joystick         Mouse: Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse       Headset: Logitech G633 Gaming Headset

how many of these things are on the same circuit as the computer if they don't go off with the breaker they don't matter to this issue but it sounds like you just have to much crap plugged into one place and need to move them to other circuits or manage what you have on to control the power draw.

First of all, Turn Shadows, Post processing and Anti Ailising to the lowest values for fortnite. There is No reason to use these Awful settings in a shooter game. Also try just using one GPU, see if it still trips the breaker. SLI really isnt needed and 1 1080ti is already more then enough, and especially since your using the Asus Turbo cards.

24 minutes ago, DarthSolidus said:

the circuit breaker has been tripping

Must be some good shit.

But seriously, I had three PCs folding apparently on the same circuit.

Started up a vacuum cleaner in a different room  and blew a fuse.

A tech friend told me that my circuits could handle around 1400W to 1600W each.

Now I have two PCs on one circuit and one on another and everyones happy.

Now my two main PCs were on UPSs but the third was not and I lost all USB ports.

Had to get a USB PCIe card.

Now it's on a UPS too.

If your change with the PCIe extension solved some heat throttling problems then your GPUs

could run at higher clocks and if you were right on the edge already then maybe that made the difference.

Thank you for all the responses, I really think is the heater since we had a cold front last couple day and heater is working harder, but since the tripping happened when the game was running, wife kept saying it was my PC. But one more question.. would it really make any difference how the card were set up? (FYI, newer brdige is a EVGA 4 slot HB)

Thank you again for your responses.

MG

Spoiler

CPU: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4820K CPU @ 3.70GHz      Mobo: Asrock X-79 Extreme 4-M

Ram: G.SKILL TridentX Series 24GB             Graphics: Asus Turbo GTX 1080Ti 11GB SLI

Monitor: - Vizio M321i-A2 32", HP 27WM (x2) in Nvidia Surround 5760x1080  - Element E1SW2418M 1920x1080

Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO LAN Box        HDD:Samsung 750 EVO SSD         PSU: Corsair AX1200i           Keyboard: Corsair Gaming K55 RGB Keyboard

Game Keyboard: Logitech G13 Joystick         Mouse: Logitech G602 Gaming Mouse       Headset: Logitech G633 Gaming Headset

It would as described above. When they throttled under less airflow they would have used less wattage. The new, if even slightly higher wattage could have been just enough to trip the breaker. As an example in my apartment, you can use the PC, kettle, toaster and microwave at the same time. Switch a 60 watt light bulb on? Pop. Everything off. Some heaters draw an insane wattage, the one in my room is 2000W