Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What cables do I plug into my modular PSU?

I've been looking around, and cant seem to find a guide saying what cables, only other forum post's with peoples specific components and others replying only for that configuration. I dont know which cables I should plug into my modular PSU, anyone have a guide?

You'll need to plug in the 24 pin power connector, and connect it to the motherboard. You'll also need to plug in a "CPU" cord with an 8 pin connection on the other end. This also needs to connect to the motherboard, near the CPU.

Then you'll need to connect a cable either called "PCIe" or "VGA" and connect that to your graphics card.

Then you'll need to connect a cable with sata ends on it for your hard drives and CD drives.

You plug in the cables you need, which is completely dependent on what PC parts you get.

Typically most people will need:

- 24 pin ATX

- 8 pin EPS (2x4 pin EPS)

- Your PCIE cables plug into your GPU, you may need none, a 6 pin, a 6+2 pin (sometimes called 8 pin PCIE), or a combination of those two

- SATA if you use a non m.2 SSD, HDD, DVD drive or some other components

- Molex/FDD if you just hate modern standards

But that means everyone's needed cables differ

"We're all in this together, might as well be friends" Tom, Toonami.

mini eLiXiVy: my open source 65% mechanical PCB, a build log, PCB anatomy and discussing open source licenses: https://linustechtips.com/topic/1366493-elixivy-a-65-mechanical-keyboard-build-log-pcb-anatomy-and-how-i-open-sourced-this-project/

mini_cardboard: a 4% keyboard build log and how keyboards workhttps://linustechtips.com/topic/1328547-mini_cardboard-a-4-keyboard-build-log-and-how-keyboards-work/

1 hour ago, Stevano_ said:

I've been looking around, and cant seem to find a guide saying what cables, only other forum post's with peoples specific components and others replying only for that configuration. I dont know which cables I should plug into my modular PSU, anyone have a guide?

You plug in the cables you need to power your PC.

Seems like you don't actually have the parts in front of you.  If you did, I think you'd have an "aha" moment.

If you have to ask, maybe you should:

A: Read the manual of your PSU and motherboard.

B: Check out some build guides @ YT before you build your first computer

In general all cables are labeled, PSU are labeled on its end and every connector on the MB, HDD/SSD, GPU and so on only fits one way and isn't interchangeable on the peripheral end. You can't really do it wrong. It's more or less like building legoTM

Thanks! It is my first time building a desktop, and I see what I am supposed to do (also I worded the question a little wrong).