Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Refurbished 1080 Ti - Poor performance

chiller15

So I purchased a manufacturer refurbished Asus ROG STRIX GTX 1080 Ti from a highly rated pc shop on eBay. However I'm experiencing very poor gpu performance. For example in F1 2018 at 1440p 165Hz, I'm getting about 24 FPS. In 3DMarks Time Spy test, I got a score of 1300 and average FPS of 12 in GPU test 1 and 8 in GPU test 2. Clearly something is wrong, but I don't know what.

My specs are:

Intel Core i7-9700K (stock)

Asus TUF Z390M-Pro WiFI

16GB Corsair Vengeance (2x 8GB)

Asus ROG STRIX 1080 Ti (Refurbished)

Samsung Evo 970 Pro 250GB M.2 nvme

Corsair HX750 (750w)

Dell S2417DG 24" 1440p G-Sync (144Hz overclocked to 165Hz)

The temperatures appear fine. The M.2 drive is located in the M.2 slot, located directly underneath PCIe x16 slot 1, which the 1080 Ti is in. I have the latest Nvidia drivers as of this evening (417.22).

I was concerned about fake GPUs from eBay, but it appears legit and the lastest version of GPU-Z doesn't flag it as fake.

Stop and think a second, something is more than nothing.

3 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

I have the latest Nvidia drivers as of this evening.

I think this is your issue. Try an earlier release driver. I am not an expert on this card, so you might search which drivers other users have success with right now. There is a huge problem (at least with Acer laptops) with the current 417.22 release and absolutely dismal performance on mobile cards. Rolling back fixes everything in this case.

Acer Nitro 5

3 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

I think this is your issue. Try an earlier release driver. I am not an expert on this card, so you might search which drivers other users have success with right now. There is a huge problem (at least with Acer laptops) with the current 417.22 release and absolutely dismal performance on mobile cards. Rolling back fixes everything in this case.

My 1080ti is still on 411.63, but I believe everything up to and including 416.xx is fine

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

Download gpu-z and ahh make sure its actually that card I REALLY doubt this is the case but lets just get rid of any thoughts.

7 minutes ago, Tobimaru said:

3 minutes ago, Airdragonz said:

My 1080ti is still on 411.63, but I believe everything up to and including 416.xx is fine

Thanks both. I'm currently downloading 416.94 and 411.63 to test.

3 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

Download gpu-z and ahh make sure its actually that card I REALLY doubt this is the case but lets just get rid of any thoughts.

I have and it appears legit. I've attached a screenshot of my GPU-Z.

GPU-Z.jpg

@chiller15 yeah looks good the other guys are probably right then. If you find the same issue try and see if the gpu is clocking up or if its staying at base frequency.

35 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

@chiller15 yeah looks good the other guys are probably right then. If you find the same issue try and see if the gpu is clocking up or if its staying at base frequency.

What's the best way to see that? I have MSI afterburner installed, though it's hidden when a full screen benchmark runs.

So I've tried both 416.94 and 411.63 driver versions as clean installs and I'm still getting the same frame rates in the Time Spy 3DMark benchmark. :(

I've ran MSI Afterburner and Kombustor v4 and they report:

Kombustor.jpg

Edit: Whilst Kombustor is running, the speeds appear to drop to the following:

Kombustor2.jpg

3 minutes ago, chiller15 said:

So I've tried both 416.94 and 411.63 driver versions as clean installs and I'm still getting the same frame rates in the Time Spy 3DMark benchmark. :(

Try running MSI afterburner or something that can monitor gpu usage, power, temps, etc. If something is getting maxed out, it might mean you're throttling. Or maybe a bad card if you GPU usage is high.  

print "Hello World!" ("Hello World!")

So both MSI Afterburner and ASUS GPUTweakII are reporting 0vm for the power that the card is using. Something isn't right.

I'm using the same PSU and 2x 8-pin connectors I had on my previous GTX 1070 (which performed without any issues). The 1080 Ti has two white LED dots over the 8-pin power connectors, showing they are connected correctly.

Edit: I enabled 'unlock voltage monitoring' in Afterburner and now it shows ~650-800mv

wait so the 2nd picture shows a low frequency while something is running in the background meaning the card isn't ramping up correct? @chiller15

Just now, Ohsnaps said:

wait so the 2nd picture shows a low frequency while something is running in the background meaning the card isn't ramping up correct? @chiller15

Yes, it appears that the card isn't ramping up the core frequency. I was watching a basic video about Afterburner and overclocking a 1080 Ti (https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dG2Az0PclQA) and it shows at stock, even uing GPU-Z's internal render test, it pushes the core clock up to ~1900MHz. However mine doesn't, it stays at around ~200-500MHz.

@chiller15 man happy I remembered that happening to steve at gamer's nexus. so with the 2080ti launch a lot of cards had issues and because of that he asked for people to send in their messed up cards which means sadly your card could be defective and someone pawned it off. Let me look up something about this and if anyone see's this and knows how to msg a mod or "lvl 100 computer wizard" that would help. EDIT: im pointing lines to what i\'ve seen i know his card isn't a 2080ti

This post talks about how pcie power management can sometimes lock a gpu down

@chiller15 tell me once you have tried the pcie and the nvidia control panel thing and from there we can try more stuff.

2 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

@chiller15 tell me once you have tried the pcie and the nvidia control panel thing and from there we can try more stuff.

I have tried both of those and unfortunately my issue still remains. :( I really do appreciate your help though. :)

19 minutes ago, Ohsnaps said:

I found this which suggests going even further back on drivers https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/968242-gtx-1080-ti-stuck-at-2655-mhz-even-while-under-load/

I installed the driver they recommend (397.64) and unfortunately got the same results. :(

I've submitted a return request to the seller on eBay as it appears the card is faulty. :(

I had this issue way back in the day with my GTS 450, which was the last nVidia card I owned. The issue was the driver randomly crashing (as nVidia drivers seem to do.) There was never any fix other than rebooting the PC and it would fix itself. Since nothing you tried worked, I would have to assume the card is faulty and crashing the driver. I can certainly say it happened more to me when my GTS 450 started to go.

Brands I wholeheartedly reccomend (though do have flawed products): Apple, Razer, Corsair, Asus, Gigabyte, bequiet!, Noctua, Fractal, GSkill (RAM only)

Wall Of Fame (Informative people/People I like): @Glenwing @DrMacintosh @Schnoz @TempestCatto @LogicalDrm @Dan Castellaneta

Useful threads: 

How To Make Your Own Cloud Storage

Spoiler

Guide to Display Cables/Adapters

Spoiler

PSU Tier List (Latest)-

Spoiler

Main PC: See spoiler tag

Laptop: 2020 iPad Pro 12.9" with Magic Keyboard

Spoiler

PCPartPicker Part List: https://pcpartpicker.com/list/gKh8zN

CPU: AMD Ryzen 9 3900X 3.8 GHz 12-Core OEM/Tray Processor  (Purchased For $419.99) 
Motherboard: Asus ROG Crosshair VIII Formula ATX AM4 Motherboard  (Purchased For $356.99) 
Memory: G.Skill Trident Z RGB 32 GB (2 x 16 GB) DDR4-3000 Memory  (Purchased For $130.00) 
Storage: Kingston Predator 240 GB M.2-2280 NVME Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $40.00) 
Storage: Crucial MX300 1.05 TB 2.5" Solid State Drive  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Storage: Western Digital Red 8 TB 3.5" 5400RPM Internal Hard Drive  (Purchased For $180.00) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce RTX 2070 8 GB WINDFORCE Video Card  (Purchased For $370.00) 
Case: Fractal Design Define R6 USB-C ATX Mid Tower Case  (Purchased For $100.00) 
Power Supply: Corsair RMi 1000 W 80+ Gold Certified Fully Modular ATX Power Supply  (Purchased For $120.00) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  (Purchased For $75.00) 
Total: $1891.98
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2020-04-02 19:59 EDT-0400

身のなわたしはる果てぞ  悲しわたしはかりけるわたしは

So I think I may have resolved my issue. I brought my PC into work to troubleshoot it in my free time and did things like reset the BIOS, reseat the RAM, reseat the 1080 Ti, etc. I then had a look at the PSU. I changed the semi-modular cables around on the PSU and now it appears to be ramping up correctly. I don't know if this is a thing, or if it's a sign that my PSU is on its way out, but I've attached photos showing how the PSU was connected and how it is now.

2090083533_Corsair750HX-Setup1.png.d43a8793ff124d03308322a044793695.png

So the semi-modular cables went into these two ATX power sockets on the PSU.  changed them into this:

1906991939_Corsair750HX-Setup2.png.1f14ab4805da019265b1d3c1825fa7ef.png

Now the card is ramping up the core clock speed when under load. 3DMark is now showing 59FPS in the Time Spy benchmark (I am connected to a very cheap 1080p 22" 60Hz monitor in work). I want to try again when at home, connected to my 24" 165Hz G-Sync monitor.

My theory is that in picture 1, it was only getting half the power it needed, therefore unable to ramp up. My question is, does it actually matter which of these connectors it is connected to? Or is it a sign that the PSU is on it's way out?

So I've just got home, connected the system back up as normal and ran 3DMark's Time Spy benchmark. I received a score of 9,331. Is that within normal range of a stock i7-9700K, GTX 1080 Ti and 16GB RAM? https://www.3dmark.com/3dm/31138705

Is a score of 9331 in the 3DMark Time Spy benchmark a good score for the stock speeds of my CPU/GPU?