Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Samsung 970 Evo 1TB - Slow Write Speeds

Hello

my sequential write speeds are kind of low on my new Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD.

Here some specs: 

• Mainboard: Asus X470 Gaming-F
  • CPU: Ryzen 7 2700X, Default
  • RAM: G.Skill Trident Z 3200MHz, (auto XMP off, did the settings manually)
  • OS running on this SSD

If i go for 4 threads on sequential i'll get like 2600 MB/s. But others get these with 1 thread.

image.png.1724b1599354bef4514ab609d763adce.png

image.png.8837732bb6aacaaf0e5af80eb21c4f95.png

image.png.fc03591b86cdc2c3abf1d16b6c72d49b.png

Have you installed Samsung ssd driver? Windows baked in driver isn't the greatest for these performance drives. 

If you're benchmarking it on just one thread of your cpu then what you are seeing is a cpu bottleneck. I would guess that the people who are beating you with single thread scores are on a modern intel CPU. 800 on sequential writes is really good though, I wouldn't worry too much about the score. 

7 minutes ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

Have you installed Samsung ssd driver? Windows baked in driver isn't the greatest for these performance drives. 

yes.

image.png.f8d6b9d5fd93bfec85624bfaa1582870.png

should i disable the microsoft controller?

1 hour ago, Sorenson said:

If you're benchmarking it on just one thread of your cpu then what you are seeing is a cpu bottleneck. I would guess that the people who are beating you with single thread scores are on a modern intel CPU. 800 on sequential writes is really good though, I wouldn't worry too much about the score. 

This doesn't make sense. He's getting 3.5GB/s read but because the test is single threaded his write can't match? Even tho both workloads are single threaded? Sequential performance shouldn't be too much different than an Intel system.

I get these numbers myself on my z370 mobo and i7 8700k @5GHz

04.PNG.33e44ae7ab1ffa00b8847fdb213c9039.PNG

The Samsung driver doesn't change sequential performance either...unless it is bugged. You can try uninstalling it and seeing if write improves. Typically the driver improves random write performance more than anything. 

Try running Windows Optimize (TRIM) and let it idle, restart, and test again after the system is at idle for a few minutes. Also, make sure no background tasks like Windows update is going on while testing and the same goes for antivirus. 

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)

1 hour ago, SSD Sean said:

This doesn't make sense. He's getting 3.5GB/s read but because the test is single threaded his write can't match? Even tho both workloads are single threaded? Sequential performance shouldn't be too much different than an Intel system.

I get these numbers myself on my z370 mobo and i7 8700k @5GHz

04.PNG.33e44ae7ab1ffa00b8847fdb213c9039.PNG

The Samsung driver doesn't change sequential performance either...unless it is bugged. You can try uninstalling it and seeing if write improves. Typically the driver improves random write performance more than anything. 

Try running Windows Optimize (TRIM) and let it idle, restart, and test again after the system is at idle for a few minutes. Also, make sure no background tasks like Windows update is going on while testing and the same goes for antivirus. 

all of your scores are significantly better than his on the write side, so wouldn't this be a cpu bottleneck? His stock clock speed will be about 20% slower than yours. I just can't imagine that he would have fairly decent read and writes on everything, except for sequential (not that 800 Mb/s is bad), and it be a driver issue. If it was a driver issue shouldn't all of his speeds be slower?

16 hours ago, SSD Sean said:

After that:

image.png.989d603358f7a833e0dc59decd15099c.png

:(

So i did some testing.

If i do a system restart and i'm fast enough to start the crystaldiskmark run before my anti-virus-program (GData) kicks in, i get these results:

image.png.93bc79b677c80c32802392b6e47343fb.png

After it's started, it's on the 800MB/s again :(

Dang, so antivirus is limiting performance. I noticed that too, but only during file transfers with Windows defender enabled. Benches haven’t been affected for me at least with that. Time to try a new antivirus or something?

ლ(ಠ益ಠ)ლ
(ノಠ益ಠ)╯︵ /(.□ . \)