My microphone and audio are FUBAR and I don't know what to do anymore

Diddlerino

Let me start off by first listing the things I've already tried;

• Uninstalling all my audio drivers and reinstalling them
  • Updating drivers
  • Setting microphone to default device
  • Checking to see if it was muted (it was not.)
  • Disabling all other inputs
  • Testing microphone on another computer and my phone
  • Changing motherboards
  • Changing cases
  • Starting Windows in safe mode
  • Plugging microphone into my motherboard directly in the back
  • Using my onboard sound management (Realtek audio whatever)
  • Cursing
  • Using a USB microphone adapter
  • Vainly watching stereo mix fail to work when I'm playing audio, bizarrely.
  • Updating BIOS

So let's move on. This issue started a few weeks ago. I put my computer to sleep and when I turned it on the next morning a friend invited me to chat on Discord and I discovered my microphone wasn't working at all. Fast forward an hour and I was frantically searching google because nothing was working. Everything I've found thus far has either been generic (set to default) or aimed at people who barely understand what they're doing and in no way helpful to me. Anyhow this was an annoyance to be sure but it was moot because my audio was controlled by my motherboard and I'd be upgrading to a new Asus prime z370-A soon as well as replacing the case.

How wrong I was. The issue followed me which lead me to believe it was a software issue, so I started in safe mode. Lo and behold, that did nothing. I have made some interesting discoveries, though.

• The audio on my headset works fine. It's a Hyperx Cloud I and there's no problems with it on other devices, even on discord.
  • I plugged the microphone jack into the headset jack and vice versa and my microphone worked but my headphones didn't.
  • The microphone jack in the back of my computer doesn't work either
  • I also unplugged the splitter on my headset (that changes from mono to stereo) and the headset worked regardless of which jack I put it into but I could only use either one or the other (headphones, microphone) consistent with whichever jack I plugged it into.
  • When I'm using my headset and I go to test my audio on discord, it plays any music I'm listening to as input volume (volume from my microphone) as if I were saying that. The microphone isn't set to be listened to so the audio is bleeding over.
  • Stereo mix doesn't work. At all. For something that's supposed to listen to audio is wasn't doing that.

Help?

SPECS: GTX 1070TI, ASUS PRIME Z370-A, INTEL I7-8700K PROCESSORS, WINDOWS 10 HOME EDITION

I had to do a google search on fubar. I didn't know what the word meant. Found out fubar is not a word but a local slang word for the F word.

Michael Summers

CaseObsidian 900D  MOBORampage IV Extreme CPU:  i7-4960X Ivy Bridge-E 3.6GHz  RAM:: Vengeance Pro 32GB  Boot : RAID 0  840 Pro  512GB  Data:  RAID 10 WD Red  2TB PS: Corsair : AX1200 GPU:  ASUS  GTX-780 Ti

Birthday Gift from my wife - She made me order it and built it :-)

5 hours ago, Gofer01 said:

I had to do a google search on fubar. I didn't know what the word meant. Found out fubar is not a word but a local slang word for the F word.

Glad I could help expand your vocabulary.

Mildly confused but to be fair I did read it very quickly.

You plugged your mic into the lineout jack and it worked?

You've tried both/all line in jacks for your mic, and they don't work.

Have you tried the mic on a different setup? It's very possible your audio chipset or maybe just the jack itself is done for.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

7 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Mildly confused but to be fair I did read it very quickly.

You plugged your mic into the lineout jack and it worked?

You've tried both/all line in jacks for your mic, and they don't work.

Have you tried the mic on a different setup? It's very possible your audio chipset or maybe just the jack itself is done for.

Yes. The microphone worked perfectly on my laptop (which is 6 years old but was full updated to the latest Windows update) and my phone.

can you at least tell us what Mic you are using?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

can you at least tell us what Mic you are using?

HyperX cloud

On 12/9/2018 at 4:26 PM, Diddlerino said:

The audio on my headset works fine. It's a Hyperx Cloud I and there's no problems with it on other devices, even on discord.

Get what you're saying here now.  Sorry

What do you mean by "Splitter"  Doesn't the hyperX cloud have two seperate 3.5mm audio jacks?  One for the headphones and the other for Mic?

With all the Trolls, Try Hards, Noobs and Weirdos around here you'd think i'd find SOMEWHERE to fit in!

Just now, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

Get what you're saying here now.  Sorry

What do you mean by "Splitter"  Doesn't the hyperX cloud have two seperate 3.5mm audio jacks?  One for the headphones and the other for Mic?

Yes. It has 2 jacks but they're connected from the headset via a plug.As you can see here the two jacks are a separate cord entirely, I removed them from the equation and plugged the headset into the jacks directly. Whatever jack I plugged into would work of course but the other jack didn't naturally. That means both jacks are fully functional but apparently not at the same time and whenever both are filled the headphones jack takes priority.

No your headset won't work without the splitter.  The audio jacks on your motherboard/front of case aren't capable of using a 4 pole 3.5mm jack.  However you'll find most Laptops ARE capable of this.  That explains why the headset works on the lappy.  I'd say you need a new splitter part.  You can pick these up cheap enough on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Smartphone-Headset/dp/B074N73S24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545284395&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5mm%2Baudio%2Bsplitter%2Bheadset&th=1

1 minute ago, YouSirAreADudeSir said:

No your headset won't work without the splitter.  The audio jacks on your motherboard/front of case aren't capable of using a 4 pole 3.5mm jack.  However you'll find most Laptops ARE capable of this.  That explains why the headset works on the lappy.  I'd say you need a new splitter part.  You can pick these up cheap enough on amazon

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Headphone-Splitter-Computer-Smartphone-Headset/dp/B074N73S24/ref=sr_1_3?ie=UTF8&qid=1545284395&sr=8-3&keywords=3.5mm%2Baudio%2Bsplitter%2Bheadset&th=1

I know it won't work without the splitter. The splitter works fine on my laptop. I'm just saying the jacks are working. The splitter isn't the problem.

try this. it might sound weird lol but i've had similar audio issues and this dumb trick worked

firstly power off the system and make sure all of your audio cables are properly seated. even if you think they are just unplug and reseat them to be sure.

here's the silly thing that worked for me. fully power off the rig and just unplug the power chord completely from the computer for a few seconds. replug and turn it back on.

i had a "no sound" issue / an issue where my audio was insanely robotic sounding and that trick fixed it. no driver updates etc would touch the issue.

good luck

2 minutes ago, DukeJukem said:

try this. it might sound weird lol but i've had similar audio issues and this dumb trick worked

firstly power off the system and make sure all of your audio cables are properly seated. even if you think they are just unplug and reseat them to be sure.

here's the silly thing that worked for me. fully power off the rig and just unplug the power chord completely from the computer for a few seconds. replug and turn it back on.

i had a "no sound" issue / an issue where my audio was insanely robotic sounding and that trick fixed it. no driver updates etc would touch the issue.

good luck

I added another hard drive in the other day, which would mean incidentally I've done all that. Didn't fix it, but the hard drive works fine.

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiit a minute heeeeeeerrrreeee lol. i've had this issue. basically any sound that goes through your mic is playing through your speakers/u hear it? i had this issue with my realtek audio as well (which is why i uninstalled that shit and use the windows default sound driver)

but anyways, i forgot completely how to fix it because i only experienced it once, but i think i can guide you.

right click your speaker icon in the taskbar and hit sounds, go to playback and find your default speakers. 

here's the part where my brain is shady. theres something in the "levels" section that is fucked up and its because your speakers aren't setup properly, i figured this out because i muted one of the channels in the "levels" tab and it went away, at least in my case. so select your default speakers and hit configure. set it up as normal aka stereo 5.1 etc but try unchecking front left right speakers during the setup, or try setting it up as stereo instead of 5.1 etc. i believe the issue comes from setting it up as a 5.1 system or higher so try stereo.

now test again. when i had this issue i figured out i had to mute something in the levels tab to make the issue go away, but i thought to myself i shouldnt have to do that so i think i reconfigured my speakers in order for that section in levels to not even show up at all aka changing from 5.1 to stereo in the "configure" option. 

my memory is shady and you'll have to play around but i'm dead nuts that's your issue though. i misread your post but now i think i know exactly what you're talking about and i've experienced the exact same thing and fixed it

2 minutes ago, DukeJukem said:

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaiiiiiiiiiit a minute heeeeeeerrrreeee lol. i've had this issue. basically any sound that goes through your mic is playing through your speakers/u hear it? i had this issue with my realtek audio as well (which is why i uninstalled that shit and use the windows default sound driver)

but anyways, i forgot completely how to fix it because i only experienced it once, but i think i can guide you.

right click your speaker icon in the taskbar and hit sounds, go to playback and find your default speakers. 

here's the part where my brain is shady. theres something in the "levels" section that is fucked up and its because your speakers aren't setup properly, i figured this out because i muted one of the channels in the "levels" tab and it went away, at least in my case. so select your default speakers and hit configure. set it up as normal aka stereo 5.1 etc but try unchecking front left right speakers during the setup, or try setting it up as stereo instead of 5.1 etc. i believe the issue comes from setting it up as a 5.1 system or higher so try stereo.

now test again. when i had this issue i figured out i had to mute something in the levels tab to make the issue go away, but i thought to myself i shouldnt have to do that so i think i reconfigured my speakers in order for that section in levels to not even show up at all aka changing from 5.1 to stereo in the "configure" option. 

my memory is shady and you'll have to play around but i'm dead nuts that's your issue though. i misread your post but now i think i know exactly what you're talking about and i've experienced the exact same thing and fixed it

No, my microphone doesn't produce sound at all.

Also, my speakers are already set to stereo.

i guess i suck at reading today. i have a hyperxcloud revolver and sometimes i have to smash my mic into place or it wont work lol.

are u willing to uninstall the realtek audio driver and reboot to let windows install the microsoft ones and see if it works that way?

u said u tried it on a different motherboard too? i think your mic is just dead then :(

1 hour ago, DukeJukem said:

i guess i suck at reading today. i have a hyperxcloud revolver and sometimes i have to smash my mic into place or it wont work lol.

are u willing to uninstall the realtek audio driver and reboot to let windows install the microsoft ones and see if it works that way?

u said u tried it on a different motherboard too? i think your mic is just dead then :(

I've already uninstalled and reinstalled realtek audio drivers.

This problem has been consistent across 2 different motherboards and my microphone works on my phone and laptop without problem.

So whenever I switch jacks and put my microphone into the headphone jack it works but the headphones don't. However, my microphone is very muffled when I do this.Just an update.