Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Asus Strix RTX 2080 Ti OC random huge fps drops and stutters? what!?

Ektelion
 Share

I am usually playing with capped fps at 110~120 on my 3440x1440p 120hz monitor but at some occasions for no apparent reason it drops to 60-70 making stutters on the screen.
I thought this was problem from the game itself but i tested in few different ones and the problem is still there.
I have a theory it might be driver related but after playing the first day with no stutters or anything like that makes me think there's something else.

System specs

Windows 10 64bit
I7 8700K
RTX 2080 Ti Asus strix Oc
2X8 G.skill Trident Z RGB ram 3200 mhz 16Cas
RMX 850 Gold PSU Corsair
H150i Pro RGB 360 Radiator Corsair Cooler
9x fans in the entire systems 3 being exhaust
Alienware 34 Gsync Ips 3440x1440p monitor 120 Hz
1TB Samsung 860 EVO SSD
500GB Samsung 970 EVO m.2 
1TB Western Digital memory ( saving purposes only )

The highest temp my card ever reached was 65, usually running idle at 40.
The only thing i noticed and found a little odd in the diagram was the memory Clock droping and increasing rapidly from numbers to 800 and 12000, might be the issue i don't know, all i am ever hoping is this to not be a hardware related issue because i waited damn 3 months for this RTX to arrive and i was playing with onboard graphgics for so long, after getting it in my hands, now this?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Majestic said:

Are you using Vsync?

No only Gsync

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Just now, Ektelion said:

No only Gsync

https://linustechtips.com/main/topic/894384-stutters-framedrops-lag-how-to-provide-detailed-information-with-your-bottleneck-question-as-well-as-a-few-solutions/

 

You can skip the first half of the post. I'd like to see the issue in real-time with some afterburner plots. Follow the guide from "collecting the information" please, and dump the .hml file in a post and tag me. You can also skip the DXDIAG part, since you already listed your system. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

 

If the drop is CPU related your 2080 ti will not save you.

Also if it is a CPU drop G-sync won't save you either.

 

CPU usage can be deceptive. You must see what individual cores are doing and know how many cores a game uses to determine how much usage will drop your frame rate.

 

It is early days for the GTX 2080 ti. I am not expecting overall good performance until about March of next year.  On some of the games I play the performance is not much different than the 1080 ti it replaced.   

 

On synthetic benches my card is doing fine. My ingames benches tell me that the card is all over the place.

 

If you can collect good evidence of your issue submit it to the Geforce driver forum. 

 

Also If you can mention a game you are having issues with maybe someone can test it for you.   

 

RIG#1 CPU: AMD, R 7 5900X| Motherboard: X570 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3080 ti | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 2TB | Monitor: LG 49" NanoCell 85

 

RIG#2 CPU: Intel i9 11900k | Motherboard: Z590 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 3600 | GPU: EVGA FTW3 ULTRA  RTX 3090 ti | PSU: EVGA 1300 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic EVO | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD#1: SSD#1: Corsair MP600 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX300 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#3 CPU: Intel i9 10900kf | Motherboard: Z490 AORUS Master | RAM: Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 32GB DDR4 4000 | GPU: MSI Gaming X Trio 3090 | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Lian Li O11 Dynamic | Cooler: EK 360mm AIO | SSD#1: Crucial P1 1TB | SSD#2: Crucial MX500 2.5" 1TB | Monitor: LG 55" 4k B9 OLED TV

 

RIG#4 CPU: Intel i9 9900k | Motherboard: AORUS Z390 Ultra | RAM: Ripjaws V Series 32GB DDR4 3200 | GPU: EVGA XC3 Ultra 3080 ti  | PSU: EVGA 1000 G+ | Case: Cooler Master H500 | Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 | SSD: Crucial P2 1TB  | SSD#2: Samsung 860 QVO 2TB | Monitor: Samsung 28" TN 4k 60hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Apparently I did some search in the Nvidia forums and there are many people who have the same problem. 

 

It looks like it's driver related issue, thank God. 

 

I have tested destiny 2, world of WARcraft, PUBG, Battlefield V, Black ops 4, the problem is everywhere, I usually play capped at 120 fps (that's the maximum my monitor can go)

in this resolution, it's an overkill, but the drops to 60 from 120 all of a sudden are are technically not possible considering the power of this Gpu 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

42 minutes ago, Ektelion said:

Apparently I did some search in the Nvidia forums and there are many people who have the same problem. 

 

It looks like it's driver related issue, thank God. 

 

I have tested destiny 2, world of WARcraft, PUBG, Battlefield V, Black ops 4, the problem is everywhere, I usually play capped at 120 fps (that's the maximum my monitor can go)

in this resolution, it's an overkill, but the drops to 60 from 120 all of a sudden are are technically not possible considering the power of this Gpu 

It might not be. But unless you post me that data, I can't help you.

 

People tend to forget that 80% of the market is Nvidia, so any issue that crops up is likely to have the majority of people having Nvidia cards. So it easily gets conflated as a driver issue.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Majestic said:

It might not be. But unless you post me that data, I can't help you.

 

People tend to forget that 80% of the market is Nvidia, so any issue that crops up is likely to have the majority of people having Nvidia cards. So it easily gets conflated as a driver issue.

I am at work now, I will try and do it later when I go home, thanks for the help 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

You have a 8700k. So your CPU is more than powerful enough. Its either a driver issue or a G-Sync issue. Turn off G-Sync and see if the issue continues to persist. 

| Ryzen R9 3900x Enermax LIQTECH II 360  | Asus ROG Crosshair VI Hero| Nivida FE RTX 2080 Ti | Corsair Vengeance 16gb @3200MHZ | Crucial 500 GB SSD | 1TB WD Blue SSD| Corsair HX 750w  Platinum+ |Corsair Carbide Spec-Omega| Gigabyte Arous 27QD 1440p 144hz

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Ektelion said:

I am at work now, I will try and do it later when I go home, thanks for the help 

the 20 series is known to have gsync/multi monitor, so turn off ur second monitor if you have one, if the problem persists, turn off gsync and use vsync.

 

The problem is monitor specific with the drivers.

5950x 1.33v 5.05 4.5 88C 195w ll R20 12k ll drp4 ll x570 dark hero ll gskill 4x8gb 3666 14-14-14-32-320-24-2T (zen trfc)  1.45v 45C 1.15v soc ll evga non-3090 tie ftw3 1905 0.8v 65C 270w (double fps of 1080ti) ll samsung 970 500gb nvme os ll sandisk 4tb ssd ll all nf12/14 fans ll tt gt10 case ll evga g2 1300w ll w10 pro ll 34GN850B ll x27 ll PA272w

 

9900k 1.36v 5.1avx 4.9ring 85C 195w (daily) 1.02v 4.3ghz 80w 50C R20 temps score=5500 ll D15 ll Z390 taichi ult 1.60 bios ll gskill 4x8gb 14-14-14-30-280-20 ddr3666  bdie 1.45v 45C 1.22sa/1.18 io  ll EVGA non-30 tie XC 1830//7600 0.85v 210w ll  8x nf12/14 fans 2x samsung 860 evo 500gb raid 0 ll 500gb nvme 970 evo ll Corsair graphite 780T ll EVGA P2 1200w ll Windows 10 Pro ll NEC PA242w (movie, work mon dying) 1080p 60hzll Predator X27 4k144 hdr (using at 4:4:4 98 fan is dying)

 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

On 12/9/2018 at 7:52 PM, Majestic said:

It might not be. But unless you post me that data, I can't help you.

 

People tend to forget that 80% of the market is Nvidia, so any issue that crops up is likely to have the majority of people having Nvidia cards. So it easily gets conflated as a driver issue.

 you can see the stutter at 1:47 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

7 minutes ago, Majestic said:

Please follow the guideline, I think I was very specific about that. 

ah you need the graph? trying out to see how it works to copy it to you, will check the guide again

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ektelion said:

ah you need the graph? trying out to see how it works to copy it to you, will check the guide again

it creates an .hml file, you can just post it here. Read carefully what dataPID's I require.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

I see the stutters in the hardware.hml but not clear indication that your hardware is causing this issue. I see no drops in CPU clocks. No cores hit 100%, no throttling of any kind. No memory usage increases that would indicate a high amount of assets being loaded in.

 

Seeing as it's also not in multiplayer you can rule out latency spikes/packetloss as well. So i'm thinking it's just engine specific, or some background utility like a antivirus causing a high i/o spike that you can'd detect on these plots. 

 

Also note that the very monitoring you use for measuring performance can cause this. Are you always running afterburner?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, Majestic said:

I see the stutters in the hardware.hml but not clear indication that your hardware is causing this issue. I see no drops in CPU clocks. No cores hit 100%, no throttling of any kind. No memory usage increases that would indicate a high amount of assets being loaded in.

 

Seeing as it's also not in multiplayer you can rule out latency spikes/packetloss as well. So i'm thinking it's just engine specific, or some background utility like a antivirus causing a high i/o spike that you can'd detect on these plots. 

 

Also note that the very monitoring you use for measuring performance can cause this. Are you always running afterburner?

Nope, almost never, I downloaded it when you asked me to do it, I never even knew it existed in the first place.

 

I saw in nvidia forums there is a big thread going out about this, more people have stutter problems but I am no expert after all to tell. 

 

If you check hardware Canucks video here at 11:43 

 he also has a stutter for a brief second, could this really be a driver issue? 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

1 minute ago, Ektelion said:

Nope, almost never, I downloaded it when you asked me to do it, I never even knew it existed in the first place.

 

I saw in nvidia forums there is a big thread going out about this, more people have stutter problems but I am no expert after all to tell. 

 

If you check hardware Canucks video here at 11:43 

 he also has a stutter for a brief second, could this really be a driver issue? 

No i think it just runs like a turd on all machines. Just EA not giving a fuck.

 

043917_ultra-tijd.jpg

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share


×