FBI! OPEN UP! - US Department of Justice begins investigation into the FCC

rcmaehl

Sources:
Buzzfeed
The Verge

Summary:

The federal government is now looking into faked comments posted to the FCC’s website to determine if those comments violated the law by essentially using stolen identities, and has issued subpoenas to a handful of organizations related to the comments.

Media:
FBI.0.jpg

Quotes/Excerpts:

The Justice Department is investigating whether crimes were committed when potentially millions of people’s identities were posted to the FCC’s website without their permission. The comment scheme took place over the course of months beginning in April 2017...after the... [move] to overturn Obama-era rules enforcing net neutrality. The rule enjoyed broad public support...and required a period of public comment. More than 20 million comments have since appeared on the site. [T]he New York Attorney General’s office estimating that up to 9.5 million of those were filed in people’s names without their consent. [T]he New York Attorney General’s previously announced investigation, the agency in October issued subpoenas to 14 organizations. The offices of the attorneys general of both Massachusetts and Washington, DC, are supporting the New York investigation, and also issued subpoenas. The federal subpoenas arrived a few days after the state ones. The size of the federal investigation is unclear: Other organizations that had received subpoenas from the state attorneys general offices didn’t respond to requests for comment. The DC attorney general and the FBI did not reply to requests for comment.

My Thoughts:
With how sloppily copy-pasted the fake comments were and the fact this was a government entity, I am glad that the FBI is investigating this and I'm sure many many other people are as well. Hopefully, how well the perpetrators hid their involvement is just as sloppy.

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

Do it, they even had some dead supporters apparently. If it's not a law it damn well should be, the FCC can burn,

I use Arch btw

Yeah... They'll probably find some junior staff from some random telecom company or "research group" and sacrifice them. Then blame the whole thing on Russia or China knowing that those two countries won't admit nor deny shit. Won't hold my hope up for anything.

I expect nothing, and I'm still let down

About time they investigate this.
It was obvious that Ajit Pai completely disregarded the comments, claiming they were fake, just to push his agenda.
Though I honestly doubt anything will happen. They will look at it, give Pai a slap on the wrist and move on.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 3700x / GPU: Asus Radeon RX 6750XT OC 12GB / RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 2x8GB DDR4-3200
MOBO: MSI B450m Gaming Plus / NVME: Corsair MP510 240GB / Case: TT Core v21 / PSU: Seasonic 750W / OS: Win 10 Pro

6 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Someone take his big ass Reese's Peanut Butter mug first.

Jesus that's a big mug....

PLEASE QUOTE ME IF YOU ARE REPLYING TO ME

Desktop Build: Ryzen 7 2700X @ 4.0GHz, AsRock Fatal1ty X370 Professional Gaming, 48GB Corsair DDR4 @ 3000MHz, RX5700 XT 8GB Sapphire Nitro+, Benq XL2730 1440p 144Hz FS

Retro Build: Intel Pentium III @ 500 MHz, Dell Optiplex G1 Full AT Tower, 768MB SDRAM @ 133MHz, Integrated Graphics, Generic 1024x768 60Hz Monitor

7 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Image result for reese's peanut butter mug ajit pai

Jeez... That's as big as my bowl. How does he drink from that without spilling all over his face and shirt?

20 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

Someone take his big a** Reese's Peanut Butter mug first.

Spoiler

Now THAT is a coffee mug.

And to those of you pining for Pai to be thrown in jail, that's some serious conclusion jumping there.

751796850_OfficeSpace-JumptoConclusions.jpg.9ba65aa0065d5c24942d61b413c11bba.jpg

You're assuming that he had anything to do with those comments.  In fact, you're assuming the AG of NY even has merit to his case.  Why not wait and see what comes of the investigation, first?

35 minutes ago, captain_to_fire said:

i'm jealous, i want one rn

19 minutes ago, Jito463 said:

And to those of you pining for Pai to be thrown in jail, that's some serious conclusion jumping there.

751796850_OfficeSpace-JumptoConclusions.jpg.9ba65aa0065d5c24942d61b413c11bba.jpg

You're assuming that he had anything to do with those comments.  In fact, you're assuming the AG of NY even has merit to his case.  Why not wait and see what comes of the investigation, first?

From what little we've seen, it looks like it could be Russians, US telecoms orchestrating an astroturf campaign or a combination of both.  Pai wouldn't be on the hook unless there was evidence he orchestrated some of the fake comments, and I'm not sure he did even though he knowingly ignored the problem.

I mean, in a just universe Pai would spend the rest of his life in prison on corruption charges, but it probably wouldn't be for this.

ajit pai is a shit head. I hope the FBI finds some juicy shit

aorus pro z390

noctua nh-d15s chromax w black cover

evga 3070 ultra

samsung 128gb, adata swordfish 1tb, wd blue 1tb

seasonic 620w dogballs psu

1 hour ago, Jito463 said:

Spoiler

There's plenty of merit to the case. Some folks with insight into the situation have acknowledged the widespread fake comments.

You know, like some guy called Ajit Pai.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/05/fcc-fraud-comments-chair-admits/

FCC Chair Ajit Pai admitted in a commission statement Dec. 3 that fraudulent comments in the millions, including “half-million submitted from Russian e-mail addresses,” were made in a public process prior to the commission’s allegedly foregone decision to reverse net-neutrality policies set in the Obama Administration.

And there's plenty of other evidence.

As many as 2 million identities were stolen to leave fake comments in support of the FCC's decision to kill net neutrality, according to the New York Attorney General's Office. Based on the 5,000 or so complaints filed with the office, some of the victims are senior citizens, some are minors, while some are already dead. "This is a 13 year old child -- she did not post this comment, nor did anyone else in her household," a report filed by a New Yorker said. A Chicago resident who also filed a complaint called the fake comment made under their mother's name "sickening." Their mother passed away several years ago from cancer.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fake-net-neutrality-comments-stolen-identities/

All that said, you're right that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that Pai himself will be charged.

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

830329311_Trumppepe.png.81186688e5f5719b7048e4debde9c7ce.png

CPU — AMD Ryzen 7800X3D

GPU — AMD RX 7900 XTX - XFX Speedster Merc 310 Black Edition - 24GB GDDR6

Monitor — Acer Predator XB271HU - 2560x1440 165Hz IPS 4ms

CPU Cooler — Noctua NH-D15

Motherboard — Gigabyte B650 GAMING X AX V2

Memory — 32GB G.Skill Flare X5 - 6000mHz CL32

Storage — WD Black - 2TB HDD

— Seagate SkyHawk - 2TB HDD

— Samsung 850 EVO - 250GB SSD

— WD Blue - 500GB M.2 SSD

— Samsung 990 PRO w/HS - 4TB M.2 SSD

Case — Fractal Design Define R6 TG

PSU — EVGA SuperNOVA G3 - 850W 80+ Gold 

Case Fans — 2(120mm) Noctua NF-F12 PWM - exhaust

— 3(140mm) Noctua NF-A14 PWM - intake

Keyboard — Max Keyboard TKL Blackbird - Cherry MX blue switches - Red Backlighting 

Mouse — Logitech G PRO X

Headphones — Sennheiser HD600

Extras — Glorious PC Gaming Race - Mouse Wrist Rest  

— Glorious PC Gaming Race - XXL Extended Mouse Pad - 36" x 18"

— Max Keyboard Flacon-20 keypad - Cherry MX blue switches

18 minutes ago, Nicnac said:

Actual Footage:

E1537FA87039584C178F3050C4321506AF475904

You see that vase? It represents his mug.

CPU: AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | CPU Cooler: Stock AMD Cooler | Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX B550-F GAMING (WI-FI) | RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 16 GB (2 x 8 GB) DDR4-3000 CL16 | GPU: Nvidia GTX 1060 6GB Zotac Mini | Case: K280 Case | PSU: Cooler Master B600 Power supply | SSD: 1TB  | HDDs: 1x 250GB & 1x 1TB WD Blue | Monitors: 24" Acer S240HLBID + 24" Samsung  | OS: Win 10 Pro

Audio: Behringer Q802USB Xenyx 8 Input Mixer |  U-PHORIA UMC204HD | Behringer XM8500 Dynamic Cardioid Vocal Microphone | Sound Blaster Audigy Fx PCI-E card.

Home Lab:  Lenovo ThinkCenter M82 ESXi 6.7 | Lenovo M93 Tiny Exchange 2019 | TP-LINK TL-SG1024D 24-Port Gigabit | Cisco ASA 5506 firewall  | Cisco Catalyst 3750 Gigabit Switch | Cisco 2960C-LL | HP MicroServer G8 NAS | Custom built SCCM Server.

12 minutes ago, Sakkura said:

There's plenty of merit to the case. Some folks with insight into the situation have acknowledged the widespread fake comments.

You know, like some guy called Ajit Pai.

http://fortune.com/2018/12/05/fcc-fraud-comments-chair-admits/

And there's plenty of other evidence.

https://www.engadget.com/2017/12/14/fake-net-neutrality-comments-stolen-identities/

All that said, you're right that we shouldn't jump to the conclusion that Pai himself will be charged.

Ajit Pai may be an idiot, but he certainly isn't stupid. There is no way he got even a spec of dirt on his hands. 

Laptop:

Spoiler

HP OMEN 15 - Intel Core i7 9750H, 16GB DDR4, 512GB NVMe SSD, Nvidia RTX 2060, 15.6" 1080p 144Hz IPS display

PC:

Spoiler

Vacancy - Looking for applicants, please send CV

Mac:

Spoiler

2009 Mac Pro 8 Core - 2 x Xeon E5520, 16GB DDR3 1333 ECC, 120GB SATA SSD, AMD Radeon 7850. Soon to be upgraded to 2 x 6 Core Xeons

Phones:

Spoiler

LG G6 - Platinum (The best colour of any phone, period)

LG G7 - Moroccan Blue

3 hours ago, rcmaehl said:

The federal government is now looking into faked comments posted to the FCC’s website to determine if those comments violated the law by essentially using stolen identities, and has issued subpoenas to a handful of organizations related to the comments.

Yeah. That much is obvious to anyone who isn't a corporate apologist.

I mean, here we have two separate comments from "Barack Obama" calling his own administration's move "unprecedented regulatory power". Gee, I wonder.

2 hours ago, captain_to_fire said:

Is that real?

Desktop: [Processor: Intel Skylake i5 6600K (stock for now)][HSF: CoolerMaster Hyper 212 EVO]
[PSU: EVGA SuperNova 750 B2][Case: Corsair Carbide Series Air 540 Silver]
[Motherboard: AsRock Z170 Extreme4][RAM: 2x8GB Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4-2666]
[Video: eVGA GeForce GTX 1060 3GB 03G-P4-6160-KR]
[Hard Drives: Samsung 850 EVO 500GB]
Notebook: [HP Envy x360 15z][Ryzen 7 2700U w/ Radeon RX Vega 10][8GB RAM][256GB m.2 nVME SSD]

Gaming:[SteamID: STEAM_0:0:1792244 - "[TC]CreepingDeath"]

36 minutes ago, GilmourD said:

Is that real?

Sadly, yes, it's real.

Around 7:30

If you want my attention, quote meh! D: or just stick an @samcool55 in your post :3

Spying on everyone to fight against terrorism is like shooting a mosquito with a cannon

No more russian bots, but now american bots lol. Who are they going to blame next? Its never their own fault. 

This will only really have a good effect if they determine that somehow the FCC did it themselves. If they didn't, then it basically comes down to "Well, we'll eventually find whoever did it", and in the meantime, the decision has already been made.