GTX 770 or R9 280

raspetsu

So i'm buying an used gpu probably gtx 770 or r9 280 and i know normally the answer would be 770 but nvidia driver support for kepler is basically non extinct so 770 is performing a lot worse now days. I can get both gpu:s for about 60€.

Just upgraded from the r9 280 last month- so if you're looking for some numbers from current (ish) drivers, here you go.  In terms of performance- 1080p30 Rise of the Tomb Raider can go to very high, for 60 fps you'll need 900p med/high.  

Battlefront 2 2017 got 1080p 60 locked on high.  

No Mans Sky was at 1080p before the update before last, then it got to be a juddery mess even at 900p- it would probably be playable with more tinkering but I wasn't having it at the time.

This was paired with a i5 4590 (no k).

A word on drivers, especially if you're overclocking, and it could have been just my Sapphire card- certain drivers will lock the card to 500 mhz / 150 mhz on core / memory and a rI'll back seems to be the only way to fix it.  That even happened when I was just trying to get stocks and one of the reasons I upgraded- I was tired of guessing if the card would run at all.  

Food for thought.  Good luck!