Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

What is the best seal for leaking radiator?

Just now, WhiteSkyMage said:

I used the screws provided by EK. It's leaking from the corner, not from where the screws are. I was able to stop the leak using a Glue tag from the outside.. 

if it held for awhile there was likely some thing causing just enough seal to pass inspection that may have moved on (dry before, but wet now) .  

Not  sure for really with out seeing the leak in person/ detailed video/pictures.  

But if a simple glue gun button/ piece of tape is sealing it, i would say that it is like a QC mistake. EK stands by their products and  i dont think you will have an issue with the RMA unless you have to deal with just your store and they don't want to handle it.  I have seen some WC return policys that are null if you have installed it... which is dumb since most will not likely know it leaks till after they installed it.

And the surprising number of those that some how use screws that are too long astound me.

Just now, Mick Naughty said:

Again, the leak would be on the inside, putting something on the outside wont do anything. Even using the screws it came with can cause and issue, which is what im talking about. Did you check the extensions?

which "extensions" are you talking about? Do you mean the screws around the radiator?

I9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti G1 (temp) | Noctua NH D9L (temp) | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

which "extensions" are you talking about? Do you mean the screws around the radiator?

Where the fittings go in. The screws around the case just hold the shell on.

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

Where the fittings go in. The screws around the case just hold the shell on.

It doesn't leak from there. It's the opposite side of the extensions where the leak is from. I think it may be a loose screw or something. I will not put pressure on my PC until I don't replace this radiator... There is no leak right now as the glue tag is stuck there and there is no pressure from my pump (running low speed).

I9-9900K | Asrock Phantom Gaming miniITX Z390 | GSkill Trident Z DDR4@3600MHz C17 | Gigabyte GTX 1080Ti G1 (temp) | Noctua NH D9L (temp) | Samsung 970 EVO 1TB M.2 SSD | Crucial MX500 2TB SSD | Seasonic Focus Plus Gold 1000W | anidees AI Crystal Cube White V2 | Corsair M95 | Corsair K50 | Beyerdynamic DT770 Pros 250Ohm

If the fittings on are top, the leak would flow down. There cant be a loose screw as it doesn't use screws to seal the rad.

16 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

It doesn't leak from there. It's the opposite side of the extensions where the leak is from. I think it may be a loose screw or something. I will not put pressure on my PC until I don't replace this radiator... There is no leak right now as the glue tag is stuck there and there is no pressure from my pump (running low speed).

Main RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 8700k, ASUS ROG Strix Z370-H, G.Skill TridentZ 32GB, EVGA 1080TI SC Black, EVGA 850 GQ, Acer KG251Q 1920x1080@240hz 

Spare RIg Corsair Air 540, I7 4770K, Asus Maximus VI Extreme, G.Skill Ares 32Gb, EVGA 1080sc & 1060 SSC, Corsair CX850M, Acer GD235hz 1920x1080@120hz

If the fittings on are top, the leak would flow down. There cant be a loose screw as it doesn't use screws to seal the rad.

Stop there. Yes - it does use screws to seal the rad. Look carefully

EK-CoolStream-XE_PE_SE_2_590webshop.jpg

See the screws at the bottom? Yes - that is where it leaks!

I tried jbweld to keep my whole house filter from leaking and it didn't make it but a few days.  Was trying to get two weeks for a plumber.  

AMD 5900X / Gigabyte X570 Auros Pro / 64GB @ 3600c16 / 1TB Samsung 980 Pro 4.0x4 / 4TB total Inland TLC 3.0x4 / EVGA FTW3 3080 / Corsair RM750x /Thermaltake View71

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

2 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Stop there. Yes - it does use screws to seal the rad. Look carefully

EK-CoolStream-XE_PE_SE_2_590webshop.jpg

See the screws at the bottom? Yes - that is where it leaks!

No. That's not how that works. That is a shell. 

No. That's not how that works. That is a shell. 

Well, shell or not, it leaks from there, through those holes.

Well, shell or not, it leaks from there, through those holes.

Exactly, if the radiator is leaking, it would then have to go through the shell... Thus the screws have nothing to do with it. It would be the same if the extensions were loose. At this point if that isn't clear, replacing it is the only options.

20 minutes ago, Mick Naughty said:

Exactly, if the radiator is leaking, it would then have to go through the shell... Thus the screws have nothing to do with it. It would be the same if the extensions were loose. At this point if that isn't clear, replacing it is the only options.

Well I will be replacing it for sure... Most likely with an alphacool rad (I already ordered one... 

4 hours ago, ewitte said:

I tried jbweld to keep my whole house filter from leaking and it didn't make it but a few days.  Was trying to get two weeks for a plumber.  

might have worked if you could have kept the 'water' off while it cured. But also with House water lines its different (higher pressure) and might have  done better if you could have applied it from the inside as a plug rather than a band aid Also they make specialized 'repair tape'  for pipes in case you ever need it again in the future.

4 hours ago, Mick Naughty said:

4 hours ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Well I will be replacing it for sure... Most likely with an alphacool rad (I already ordered one... 

if it weren't right there leaking some how related to that area then the water would continue to drip.  since its not dripping its safe to say a manufacture defect.   If it were still leaking, dripping from another spot Mick Naughty has Valid point's to ensure.  That the g1/4 ports are tightened.

Heavily dependent on install orientation.

since some tape or glue or whatever seems to have 'stopped' it i would say its a soldering error that got past QC>  without being there to inspect it myself.

and WhiteSkyMage is going about this the right way to minimize down time and potentially get a refund/replacement of the one in question.

1 hour ago, Neo-revo said:

might have worked if you could have kept the 'water' off while it cured. But also with House water lines its different (higher pressure) and might have  done better if you could have applied it from the inside as a plug rather than a band aid Also they make specialized 'repair tape'  for pipes in case you ever need it again in the future.

It was actually a pre-filter housing that cracked and I left it double the stated cure time couldn't go much longer as we needed water...

So we had to get it repaired before I got the new pre-filter and $800 filter.  And now its been sitting in the garage for 2 months.  Luckily we just had them do a bypass we can just go around it if it happens again and can wait as long as needed.

AMD 5900X / Gigabyte X570 Auros Pro / 64GB @ 3600c16 / 1TB Samsung 980 Pro 4.0x4 / 4TB total Inland TLC 3.0x4 / EVGA FTW3 3080 / Corsair RM750x /Thermaltake View71

Custom water loop EK Vector AM4, D5 pump, Coolstream 420 radiator

11 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

if it weren't right there leaking some how related to that area then the water would continue to drip.  since its not dripping its safe to say a manufacture defect.   If it were still leaking, dripping from another spot Mick Naughty has Valid point's to ensure.  That the g1/4 ports are tightened.

Heavily dependent on install orientation.

since some tape or glue or whatever seems to have 'stopped' it i would say its a soldering error that got past QC>  without being there to inspect it myself.

and WhiteSkyMage is going about this the right way to minimize down time and potentially get a refund/replacement of the one in question.

Blu Tack. Yup, this is water resistant it seems... I have tissues under just in case..

12 minutes ago, WhiteSkyMage said:

Blu Tack. Yup, this is water resistant it seems... I have tissues under just in case..

Mounting tack?.  Yea that's good stuff but not a perfect solution.  But if it's working it'll do as a temp in some situations. Good to know I have the stuff myself.

2 hours ago, Neo-revo said:

Mounting tack?.  Yea that's good stuff but not a perfect solution.  But if it's working it'll do as a temp in some situations. Good to know I have the stuff myself.

yes, the thing you stick paper to the wall... it seems to work for now. I don't know how much it can hold up but im hoping it would hold for at least until my new radiator is here.

Hopefully Alphacool hasn't got this issue.

By the way, what kind of screws should I use not to pierce the rad? They say "not long" but you have to use long ones to go through the case and through the fan and into the rad. I am sure I haven't punctured this rad and it's just a defect. But I just wanna make sure to avoid this with the alphacool one.I think they provide 30mm screws but again, isn't that too long?

Depends on the amount of space between the shroud part and the actual core.     My policy is to install one screw in one spot that I can see. Making sure when it's fully seated that it doesn't touch/come to close.   Screw issues only arise when your trying to use screws from one rad on another mixing thread specs and or less spare space that I'm talking about.

If you are not sure. Small washers can ensure it doesn't come to close when installing