Diasable HT via CPU Affinity? (Game Optimization)

Certain games aren't well optimized for HT/SMT, namely R6S and BO4. Can I get around this while still using HT/SMT by setting the CPU affinity to only the physical cores in use when HT/SMT is off? For example, if I'm running a Ryzen 5 1600 and I have 6 cores and 12 threads, can I simply disable usage of cores 6-11 and keep 0-5? I don't know much about HT/SMT and cpu management, so any pointers in this area would help. I'm just tired of stuttering in BO4 and crashing randomly in R6S, I have a very capable computer for 2018 with a 1080 and 16 GB RAM. I know devs themselves have to optimize their games, but I also need to make sure my hardware is setup properly.

I was told managing parking might be helpful via this program: http://coderbag.com/Programming-C/CPU-core-parking-manager-v3

Anyone else used something like this? Never heard of it.

Yeah, disabling core parking can help. I find that it mostly fixes a small latency issue, where you'll get a bit of microstutter with a consistent FPS. It increases power consumption globally all the time, though. Do the Ryzens have turbo or boost their clock at all? I'm a bit out of touch with all the newest gear, but I've found in a lot of cases that games really dislike the clock hopping around so much. 

I use a program for this: ThrottleStop. Simple little program, but let's you set up different profiles, and doesn't require any restarts. Helps a lot on this i7-7700, as it tends to stutter in games it has no business stuttering in otherwise.

For now, I'd try that.

1 hour ago, SageOfSpice said:

turbo or boost

I have it overclocked regardless, but I think so. I'll try that

2 minutes ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

I have it overclocked regardless, but I think so. I'll try that

Ah. Well, then you could play around with Cool'n'Quiet if you haven't already disabled that. Same thing, opposite direction.

I don't have much issues with R6 on my FX-8350 or i7-6800K (6800K being a Hyper-threaded 6-core).

R6 can, at times, use 6+ cores -- if they are available.

I am not too sure about BO4, though.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

16 hours ago, SageOfSpice said:

Cool'n'Quiet

Seems to have mixed reception, why do you recommend it?

15 hours ago, -rascal- said:

not too sure about BO4, though

Also, I manually disabled virtual cores through CPU affinity, and it worked well for BO4. I'll try R6 and leave HT/SMT default, see what happens

6 hours ago, redsquirrel0249 said:

Seems to have mixed reception, why do you recommend it?

Also, I manually disabled virtual cores through CPU affinity, and it worked well for BO4. I'll try R6 and leave HT/SMT default, see what happens

It's got mixed reception because it's mostly a benign feature that saves a decent amount of power in most cases, sort of like the core parking tweak. It's fine to leave something like that enabled for normal tasks, and it does well enough. The problem I find is that when I get into situations where games won't load the core optimally enough to keep the core speed up, so you end up with cores dropping down to half their speed right before they're about to be loaded again which I find causes a bit of micro-stutter.

The usage of the feature just really depends on what you're trying to get from your computer. If you're more concerned about performance than power usage, then it's perfectly fine to play around with, as a lot of times it can help with system stability in overclocking since you don't have to worry about LLC surging enough power to the processor when it does kick back up.

On 12/9/2018 at 8:58 PM, SageOfSpice said:

play around with

Doubt I'd know the details to do that properly, but I may try it in the future