When new 13" macbooks can be fried just by a drop of water

When some Apple genius put high current circuit next to data line that goes to the CPU... 

Possible explanation in the pinned comment:

Hey Louis, as a former hw engineer of a large company, it's easy to see where this error arose. No single designer is responsible for the design from start to finish in a large corporation. The error started with the CAD librarian (responsible for drawing schematic symbols for new parts and maintaining them in a "library") who incorrectly labeled pins 1 and 43 to be far apart numerically when physically they are close together with the mindset that the physically larger rail (voltage and ground) pins (43 and 44) should be grouped together with the other rail pins (45+), without highlighting that pins 43 and 44 are actually physically super close to pins 1 and 2. The board/circuit designer (person responsible for designing the schematic) then imported the connector into the schematic and performed pin assignment with the assumption that pins 1 and 43 are far apart because they're numerically far apart (a completely different mindset than what the librarian had). When this is passed onto the layout engineer (person responsible for actually routing the design on a physical board), he routes the design blindly and does not catch the error because he does not know or really care about how the circuit functions. When the board goes thru testing, nothing is ever caught since nobody has the foresight to purposely try to short a design during testing. Ultimately this is a flaw due to a misunderstanding/mismanagement between multiple engineers with different functions. This would never happen in a smaller company where the design is owned by one person from start to fab, so Apple being rich and large actually works against them because all of the engineers that work on a board need to have the same exact design philosophy or at least adhere to the same standard. This flaw is still, of course, unacceptable and can be remedied with better communication or a set internal design philosophy standard.

22 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

This flaw is still, of course, unacceptable and can be remedied with better communication or a set internal design philosophy standard.

Truth bombs

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

How many watts do I needATX 3.0 & PCIe 5.0 spec, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

I'm sure most other laptops also have stuff like this but nobody cares enough to analyze the circuitry of some random windows laptop.

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

3 minutes ago, Enderman said:

I'm sure most other laptops also have stuff like this but nobody cares enough to analyze the circuitry of some random windows laptop.

random laptops dont cost 2200$+ :D

3 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Yeah....they do though. Apple is far from the only company to sell expensive ultrabooks (that are frequently recommended). 

And let's not ignore the fact that this "malfunction" that is going to kill the CPU because of the design issue is going to be user-induced water damage 99.9999% of the time. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

1 minute ago, 79wjd said:

Yeah....they do though. Apple is far from the only company to sell expensive ultrabooks (that are frequently recommended). 

And let's not ignore the fact that this "malfunction" that is going to kill the CPU is going to be user-induced water damage 99.9999% of the time. 

Which random company sells notebook over 2000$? Dell, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte... Acer maaaybe? Not really random...  and no, those pins are what, a millimetre or two apart? One sparkle because of dust particle...  #shitHappens :D but water damage would be the first cause... so I dont think Apple macbooks are safe to use in outdoor environment :D  

15 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

Which random company sells notebook over 2000$? Dell, MSI, Asus, Gigabyte... Acer maaaybe? Not really random...  and no, those pins are what, a millimetre or two apart? One sparkle because of dust particle...  #shitHappens :D but water damage would be the first cause... so I dont think Apple macbooks are safe to use in outdoor environment :D  

Yeah....a dust particle isn't going to conduct anything across the gap between pins. This is going to be an issue caused by water damage or possibly metal shavings... If a simple dust particle was enough, then the RMA rate would be so stupidly high and there would be a class action already in play given that this issue affects Macs from the past 2+ years. 

15" MBP -- 6 Core, 512gb, Pro 555x, 16gb DDR4, Retina screen, 10hr battery - $2600 ($2400 w/ 256gb)

XPS 15 -- 6 core, 512gb, 1050Ti, 16gb DDR4, 4k, 7hr battery - $2100 (cheapest config w/ >1080p and > 8gb ram)

Both are very much so over $2000 and both are in the same price bracket with the same target audience. 

PSU Tier List | CoC

Gaming Build | FreeNAS Server

Spoiler

i5-4690k || Seidon 240m || GTX780 ACX || MSI Z97s SLI Plus || 8GB 2400mhz || 250GB 840 Evo || 1TB WD Blue || H440 (Black/Blue) || Windows 10 Pro || Dell P2414H & BenQ XL2411Z || Ducky Shine Mini || Logitech G502 Proteus Core

Spoiler

FreeNAS 9.3 - Stable || Xeon E3 1230v2 || Supermicro X9SCM-F || 32GB Crucial ECC DDR3 || 3x4TB WD Red (JBOD) || SYBA SI-PEX40064 sata controller || Corsair CX500m || NZXT Source 210.

17 minutes ago, PeterBocan said:

There are many laptops that cost over $2k...

NEW PC build: Blank Heaven   minimalist white and black PC     Old S340 build log "White Heaven"        The "LIGHTCANON" flashlight build log        Project AntiRoll (prototype)        Custom speaker project

Spoiler

Ryzen 3950X | AMD Vega Frontier Edition | ASUS X570 Pro WS | Corsair Vengeance LPX 64GB | NZXT H500 | Seasonic Prime Fanless TX-700 | Custom loop | Coolermaster SK630 White | Logitech MX Master 2S | Samsung 980 Pro 1TB + 970 Pro 512GB | Samsung 58" 4k TV | Scarlett 2i4 | 2x AT2020

a drop of water can kill anything if dropped at the right place. 

Spoiler
Spoiler

AMD 5000 Series Ryzen 7 5800X| MSI MAG X570 Tomahawk WiFi | G.SKILL Trident Z RGB 32GB (2 * 16GB) DDR4 3200MHz CL16-18-18-38 | Asus GeForce GTX 3080Ti STRIX | SAMSUNG 980 PRO 500GB PCIe NVMe Gen4 SSD M.2 + Samsung 970 EVO Plus 1TB PCIe NVMe M.2 (2280) Gen3 | Cooler Master V850 Gold V2 Modular | Corsair iCUE H115i RGB Pro XT | Cooler Master Box MB511 | ASUS TUF Gaming VG259Q Gaming Monitor 144Hz, 1ms, IPS, G-Sync | Logitech G 304 Lightspeed | Logitech G213 Gaming Keyboard |

PCPartPicker 

Its a good thing I don't open up my laptop to expose these pins while drinking small drops of water at a time then.