International delivery for giveaways?

BoggerBoss

I mean. I realise it's expensive. But if I win a giveaway I am 100% willing to pay for shipping myself...? If this is at all possible that would be amazing. 

most people dont want to have to bother with making a crate and the paperwork needed for international shipping, its more that than the cost im pretty sure

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

It's not just about shipping, you have various laws to abide by, taxes to deal with, import costs, etc.

Current Network Layout:

Current Build Log/PC:

Prior Build Log/PC:

Contests and giveaways of something of substantial value I believe have laws and rules governing a lot of things like minimum age if entry, alternative means of entry (especially for things like buy a company's product to get a chance), duty taxes to pay, among other things.

Shipping charges is only part of the problem.

18 hours ago, VegetableStu said:

that'll depend on the organisers ._. also how would the 99% feel when they entered a regional giveaway only to have the prize shipped completely elsewhere

I don't necessarily mean any that are on now. I understand that they can't just change the rules of the giveaway. Im meaning for future giveaways.

2 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Contests and giveaways of something of substantial value I believe have laws and rules governing a lot of things like minimum age if entry, alternative means of entry (especially for things like buy a company's product to get a chance), duty taxes to pay, among other things.

I guess that makes sense. Although i have entered competitions and giveaways from America and Canada before. So I know there is a way around these laws

2 minutes ago, BoggerBoss said:

I guess that makes sense. Although i have entered competitions and giveaways from America and Canada before. So I know there is a way around these laws

But have you won any? Because entering them is one thing, receiving the prize if they picked you is another. For example I'll just pick on Anandtech's giveaway of a Ryzen 1600X they did (https://gleam.io/r3b0x/the-anandtech-ryzen-chip-giveaway)

The eligibility states:

This Sweepstakes is only open to legal residents of the United Kingdom, legal residents of the fifty (50) United States and District of Columbia, 18 or older.  

The way to enter to win appears pretty straight forward and you don't have to verify that you are actually eligible.

However, if you win,  then in order to actually claim your prize:

Potential winners will be contacted via email and/or telephone and may be required to execute and return an affidavit of eligibility, a publicity release (except where prohibited), and a liability release within five (5) days of date of issuance

The first bit is basically stating you need to prove somehow that you meet the eligibility requirement.

In another example, the lottery. I don't think there's anything stopping someone who's, at least in the US, under 18 from putting in an entry. But if they get picked, they have to prove they're 18 or over to win anything, otherwise their entry is void.

12 hours ago, M.Yurizaki said:

Shipping costs is the only thing a company giving something away internationally has to worry about. The person receiving it is the one having to pay import taxes, and there are no laws against giveaways.

40 minutes ago, poochyena said:

Shipping costs is the only thing a company giving something away internationally has to worry about. The person receiving it is the one having to pay import taxes, and there are no laws against giveaways.

If you're entering in a giveaway, it should be expected that you don't have to pay for anything.

14 hours ago, BoggerBoss said:

There actually isn't. Not unless company doing giveaway is willing to do fraud for 0-value for them. Most of the countries have laws restricting competitions and giveaways. You can even see them in US/CA giveaways where they say you can't enter if you are from Quebec (?). Since there such thing is counted as gambling and would require special permissions. Same goes on so many other places that its easier for smaller companies to restricts entries by country. If its from major company, like Asus, LG or Logitech for example, they can say its international. They have people-power to get permission and warehouse coverage to handle any shipping costs, taxes and such.

And to further note, LMG has done international giveaways in the past, when they have suitable sponsor for it. They very rarely do giveaways themselves. I actually think only times are with LTX tickets and with those your would need to be able to attend anyway.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv