Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

mATX "console" case with full height pci

Tmt97

So i need to rebuild my computer after some recent unfortunate circumstances. One of the things I want in my new system is portability. I wanted a "console" style/sized pc case. Like one of silverstones raven cases. However I am limited to micro ATX motherboards at minimum as I'm looking at buying a threadripper. Every similarly sized/shaped pc case I can personally find such as https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811163174

or

https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16811322014

have half height pci expansion. That doesn't really work if I wanna put a normal video card in there... which I do...

Anyone know of any cases that fit that description, or any solutions? Really not looking for a tower or cube case.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

1 minute ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Im looking for something thinner than either of those. Those really fall more under the category of a cube case to me, not particularly portable. Looking for something more comparable in size and shape to this:

image.png.57d736bc5abae2666242ae37fa00b63d.png

or this

image.png.7fb6953daaf6f949a6ee8f14ea796223.png

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

2 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Im looking for something thinner than either of those. Those really fall more under the category of a cube case to me, not particularly portable. Looking for something more comparable in size and shape to this:

or this

well i just straight up forgot the node 202 was a thing:

Bildresultat för node 202

yee it support s a full heigh PCIe card so just get the node 202 i guess :D 

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...

Builds:

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

well i just straight up forgot the node 202 was a thing:

yee it support s a full heigh PCIe card so just get the node 202 i guess :D 

It's mini itx not micro atx. Thats kinda my point and problem im looking to solve. Trying to find something like that case in general size and shape, but for micro atx.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

Just now, Tmt97 said:

It's mini itx not micro atx. Thats kinda my point and problem im looking to solve. Trying to find something like that case in general size and shape, but for micro atx.

and now i forgot about the ITX part... imma just go grab an energy drink and maybe il wake up and actiually be useful here :P 

Builds:

Spoiler

24 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

One of the things I want in my new system is portability.

Easy solution: Get a Case with a Handle, if you want a Threadripper...

That's a problem with such a small case and you're totally screwing yourself with Threadripper, especially since you need a "Water" Cooling solution for it...

I wanted a "console" style/sized pc case.

That's a lie, even for Cases like Silverstone Raven ITX (RVZ-01), as that case is like 4x a PS4/one X or something like that. And that's not taking the Lenth into account...

I personally find the RVZ01 rather large, but that's just me...

Anyone know of any cases that fit that description, or any solutions? Really not looking for a tower or cube case.

No, not really.

And I think you might underestimate the power of a modern HEDT System...

Do you really need Threadripper??

If you want 16 Cores, and might want to upgrade, Ryzen 3000 might be an option. But from what we know now it might not be compatible with existing Boards.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

Ok, how about the BitPhenoix Prodigy M? has handles and its fairly small:

af2313a44258ba2fc856ad7a08b5cb49.1600.jpg

Builds:

Spoiler

3 hours ago, Stefan Payne said:

Easy solution: Get a Case with a Handle, if you want a Threadripper...

That's a problem with such a small case and you're totally screwing yourself with Threadripper, especially since you need a "Water" Cooling solution for it...

That's a lie, even for Cases like Silverstone Raven ITX (RVZ-01), as that case is like 4x a PS4/one X or something like that. And that's not taking the Lenth into account...

I personally find the RVZ01 rather large, but that's just me...

No, not really.

And I think you might underestimate the power of a modern HEDT System...

Do you really need Threadripper??

If you want 16 Cores, and might want to upgrade, Ryzen 3000 might be an option. But from what we know now it might not be compatible with existing Boards.

I understand the skepticism, but I actually do rendering, video editing, ect... that could benefit from more cores. Thought about ryzen 3000, but as you said it might not be compatible with existing boards, and as my old workstation was basically destroyed, I can't really wait around and see what happens with Ryzen 3000, so I figured I'd base my decision between a 2700x and moving into threadrippers based on which had the better current upgrade path, which I saw threadripper as having if and when I needed to shove a CPU with even more cores into it. (Although hopefully wont have to for a while, thats the goal here)

Do you have any suggestions for a small, portable matx case with handles then? One that could preferably fit reasonably into a backpack or suitcase? The portability is kinda needed as I do randomly travel or sometimes even have to up and move my life more than I'd like to, so I've just adjusted to keeping my possessions as portable as possible.

3 hours ago, Bananasplit_00 said:

Ok, how about the BitPhenoix Prodigy M? has handles and its fairly small:

Looks rather large still, but definitely not as big as most towers, and it's got handles. I'll keep it in mind if nothing more portable turns up.

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!

4 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

Looks rather large still, but definitely not as big as most towers, and it's got handles. I'll keep it in mind if nothing more portable turns up.

its pretty much as compact as MATX goes, its the motherboard + PSU long, the I/O sheild + a 120mm fan wide  and the MATX board + handles and feet tall. looking around it seems like the most portable MATX case i can find

Builds:

Spoiler

10 minutes ago, Tmt97 said:

I understand the skepticism,

Naa, its personal Experience. I love Small Formfactor Cases and had them when it wasn't even a thing.

For example the Antec Aria. I owned one of those. And it was crap at the time for verious reasons...

The next SFF Case was the Aopen A340 (Aluminium, that was a thing at the time but for obvious reasons it died)...

but I actually do rendering, video editing, ect... that could benefit from more cores.

Yeah, I can understand. Especially with the rather low prices for the CPU.

But the Question is:
What do you really want/need:

1. A portable system
  2. a Threadripper

While it is in theory possible, you have to sacrifice a couple of things for that. And A 240mm AIO is also over a Kilo...

as my old workstation was basically destroyed,

Oh condolences.

I hope you didn't loose any data with that...

I can't really wait around and see what happens with Ryzen 3000, so I figured I'd base my decision between a 2700x and moving into threadrippers based on which had the better current upgrade path, which I saw threadripper as having if and when I needed to shove a CPU with even more cores into it. (Although hopefully wont have to for a while, thats the goal here)

Thing is, if you want it small, the 2700x is the best for you, with saving for Ryzen 3850X or so, if or when it comes out. 

That CPU might maybe run on the ASUS ITX Boaard...

If you want the Performance, you have to go bigger and look, if possible, at ATX...

Do you have any suggestions for a small, portable matx case with handles then? One that could preferably fit reasonably into a backpack or suitcase? The portability is kinda needed as I do randomly travel or sometimes even have to up and move my life more than I'd like to, so I've just adjusted to keeping my possessions as portable as possible.

No, that one seems to be the only one.

There don't seem to be many "LAN Cases" these days no more these days...

The Cooler Master Storm Trooper is EOL and the successor to that looks like shit...

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"

36 minutes ago, Stefan Payne said:

Naa, its personal Experience. I love Small Formfactor Cases and had them when it wasn't even a thing.

For example the Antec Aria. I owned one of those. And it was crap at the time for verious reasons...

The next SFF Case was the Aopen A340 (Aluminium, that was a thing at the time but for obvious reasons it died)...

Yeah, I can understand. Especially with the rather low prices for the CPU.

But the Question is:
What do you really want/need:

1. A portable system
  2. a Threadripper

While it is in theory possible, you have to sacrifice a couple of things for that. And A 240mm AIO is also over a Kilo...

Oh condolences.

I hope you didn't loose any data with that...

Thing is, if you want it small, the 2700x is the best for you, with saving for Ryzen 3850X or so, if or when it comes out. 

That CPU might maybe run on the ASUS ITX Boaard...

If you want the Performance, you have to go bigger and look, if possible, at ATX...

No, that one seems to be the only one.

There don't seem to be many "LAN Cases" these days no more these days...

The Cooler Master Storm Trooper is EOL and the successor to that looks like shit...

Thanks for the advice. Luckily the data had been backed up beforehand as I had the benefit of foresight. Basically was in a situation where I was broke at the time and had to pack up and move across country within a week. I only had the money for travel, so I couldn't afford to ship my rather large workstation properly in a way that would get it there in one piece, so I spent the only money I had left to put it in an old box with some blankets for minimal padding, understate the value to UPS (they would have charged me more than i had in insurance) and just hope it'd get there okay knowing full well it was a gamble and more than likely wouldn't. So I backed up to an external drive beforehand.

All that being said, given this pattern of moving has kinda become normal for me, it seems necessary for my workstation to be able to fit in a suitcase or backpack. With what you said, I think I'll go with the 2700x as you suggested as it "should" be okay for me in the immediate future. Could you link me to the specific ASUS board you mentioned would maybe run the 3850x later? Also out of personal curiosity what was it that made you think it would?

Thanks again!

Don't do drugs. Do hugs!