GPU - 1 or 2 PCIe Cables?

Hi P
Go to solution Solved by COUPER MILLAR,

Jayztwocents did a video on this a few years back. If you are not looking to hit record breaking overclocks just run the one cable with the two 8 pin connectors. Stability wise Jay saw that using two separate 8 pin cables sometimes allowed for slightly higher stable overclocks but not anything that would be noticed in daily operation. 

GPU: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC

PSU: Corsair RM850i

My PCIe cable is setup like this (single cable)

- 1x 8-pin - Power Supply

- 2x 8-pin - Graphics Card

I just got told on the NVidia GeForce forums that I should do dual cable:

- 2x 8-pin - Power Supply

- 2x 8-pin - Graphics Card  (with the other end of both cables just being left unused)

I'm not overclocking the GPU, but it's likely to be stressed during GPU rendering.

Should I do the dual cable setup or am I okay on a single one?

Mainly asking because while I do have enough cables to do the dual thing, I'd honestly rather not fit in more cables into the case if I can avoid doing so.

Thank you

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

GPU: Asus Dual GeForce RTX 2080 Ti OC

PSU: Corsair RM850i

My PCIe cable is setup like this (single cable)

- 1x 8-pin - Power Supply

- 2x 8-pin - Graphics Card

I just got told on the NVidia GeForce forums that I should do dual cable:

- 2x 8-pin - Power Supply

- 2x 8-pin - Graphics Card  (with the other end of both cables just being left unused)

I'm not overclocking the GPU, but it's likely to be stressed during GPU rendering.

Should I do the dual cable setup or am I okay on a single one?

Mainly asking because while I do have enough cables to do the dual thing, I'd honestly rather not fit in more cables into the case if I can avoid doing so.

Thank you

So wait, do you have 2 8 pin PCIe or not?

Bethesda PC:   R7 3700X  -  Asrock B550 Extreme 4  -  Corsair Dominator Platinum RGB 16GB@3.6GHz -  Zotac AMP Extreme 1080TI -  Samsung 860 Evo 256GB  -  WD Blue 2TB SSD -  500DX  -  Stock cooling lul  -  Rm650x

CrumpleBox V3:  Xeon X5680  -  Asus X58 Sabertooth  -  DDr3 16GB@1.33Ghz  -  Gigabyte 1660s -  TT smart RGB 700W  -  

Cooler Master Storm Trooper  -  120GB Samsung 850 Pro   -  LTT Edition Chromax NH-D15 ?

CrumpleBox 3 ROTF: I5-6400  -  MSI B150m Mortar  -  16GB 2133Mhz Vengeance Pro RGB  -  Strix 1070Ti - GTX 1070 FE  -  Adata 128GB SSD  -  Fractal Design Define C  -  Gammaxx 400V2  -  Cooler Master silent pro gold 1000W

CrumpleBox 2: i7-7820x - MSI X299 Raider - 32GB Thermaltake Toughram 3.6Ghz - 2x Sapphire Nitro Fury - 128GB PCie Adata SSD - O11 Dynamic - EVGA CLC 360 - Corsair RM1000X

Perhiperals:  Gateway 900p60 monitor  -  Dell 1024x768@75  -  Logi. G403 Carbon  -  Logi. G502  -  SteSer. Arctis 5  -  SteSer. Rival 110 - Corsair Strafe RGB MK.2

Jayztwocents did a video on this a few years back. If you are not looking to hit record breaking overclocks just run the one cable with the two 8 pin connectors. Stability wise Jay saw that using two separate 8 pin cables sometimes allowed for slightly higher stable overclocks but not anything that would be noticed in daily operation. 

I believe he means something like a splitter that is wired to the connector.

Anyway i believe 2  separate connectors is more stable.  

Please quote or tag me @Void Master,so i can see your reply.

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

Don't kick a player unless they willingly want to ruin your experience.

We are the gamer community, we should take care of each other !

1 minute ago, COUPER MILLAR said:

partly disagree, my single 8 pin 1070 ti is power limited because of it. but to get on this specific card. I would still run with 2, it might be refusing to start up without it

3 minutes ago, Grockle88 said:

So wait, do you have 2 8 pin PCIe or not?

Sorry I may not understand what you mean (I'm super dumb)

A single PCIe cable has one end being 1x 8-Pin and the other end being two 1x 8-pin (daisy chained I believe it's the name?), so I have the single end into my PSU, and the daisy chain end on my GPU

3 minutes ago, M.Yurizaki said:

I believe most graphics cards will refuse to allow the computer to boot unless it has all of the PCIe plugs populated.

Also having one PCIe power cable is an indication the PSU was not designed to handle graphics cards of that power.

The PSU came with like 3 PCIe cables, so am I okay with a single one?

I think some are confused here. OP means using to dedicated cables rather than the 1 8-pin cable that breaks out into 2x 8-pin.

Should be fine in your use case.

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

A single PCIe cable has one end being 1x 8-Pin and the other end being two 1x 8-pin (daisy chained I believe it's the name?), so I have the single end into my PSU, and the daisy chain end on my GPU

that's because one is meant for the cpu power, and the other one for the gpu. just use the double 8 pin cable

Single cable setup will do. Each 8pin PCIe connector is specced to do 150w (so 300w for a single cable with 2 connectors), while the cable itself (with decent 18AWG wires) can carry 360W without going out of spec and need extra cooling. That's why PSU makers use daisy-chained 8pin PCIe connector: it's safe to do that.

In the case of the 2080ti, power limit is set to 325w max and 75w of that (maximum) can come from the PCIe slot. Also Nvidia's power balancing circuitry is designed to keep power draw from both PCIe plugs below 150w each, so just a single cable will do.

The only exception of consumer cards (so excluding LN2 cards) that using different cables for each power connector is an absolute must as far as I can tell is the R9 295X2, with only 2 PCIe 8pin connector but pushing 500W easily.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

3 minutes ago, Hi P said:

The PSU came with like 3 PCIe cables, so am I okay with a single one?

It's okay .

but its more stable and better to use 2 cables

Everyone was a noob at the beginning, don't be discouraged by toxic trolls even if u lose 15 times in a row. Keep training and pushing yourself further and further, so u can show those sorry lots how it's done !

Be a supportive player, and make sure to reflect a good image of the game community you are a part of. 

1 minute ago, Dissitesuxba11s said:

To drill in what others have said with an industry source:

pcie-installation.png

Yea I have the Standard setup, and I have enough cables for the image just left from it (the third one from left to right)

But my question is, why is the dual cable recommended besides the single one? (standard)

Does it make a difference in my case?

5 minutes ago, Jurrunio said:

In the case of the 2080ti, power limit is set to 325w max and 75w of that (maximum) can come from the PCIe slot. Also Nvidia's power balancing circuitry is designed to keep power draw from both PCIe plugs below 150w each, so just a single cable will do.

Thank you, so it doesn't make a difference for me to go with either setup? 

If you have no other choice then a split cable would be fine. otherwise definitely use 2 cables if you can

🌲🌲🌲

◒ ◒ 

1 minute ago, Hi P said:

Not that much

but its better to choose on off those recommenced configurations .

2080ti s are power hungry

tldr :

* all connectors on video card must be used

* it's better  to use two strands with pci-e 6+2/8 pin (and use one connector from each strand) instead of single strand from psu. But it will work either way.

12 minutes ago, Hi P said:

using more cables might lower potential power loss in the cables in theory, but yeah it makes no noticeable difference.

CPU: i7-2600K 4751MHz 1.44V (software) --> 1.47V at the back of the socket Motherboard: Asrock Z77 Extreme4 (BCLK: 103.3MHz) CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-D15 RAM: Adata XPG 2x8GB DDR3 (XMP: 2133MHz 10-11-11-30 CR2, custom: 2203MHz 10-11-10-26 CR1 tRFC:230 tREFI:14000) GPU: Asus GTX 1070 Dual (Super Jetstream vbios, +70(2025-2088MHz)/+400(8.8Gbps)) SSD: Samsung 840 Pro 256GB (main boot drive), Transcend SSD370 128GB PSU: Seasonic X-660 80+ Gold Case: Antec P110 Silent, 5 intakes 1 exhaust Monitor: AOC G2460PF 1080p 144Hz (150Hz max w/ DP, 121Hz max w/ HDMI) TN panel Keyboard: Logitech G610 Orion (Cherry MX Blue) with SteelSeries Apex M260 keycaps Mouse: BenQ Zowie FK1

Model: HP Omen 17 17-an110ca CPU: i7-8750H (0.125V core & cache, 50mV SA undervolt) GPU: GTX 1060 6GB Mobile (+80/+450, 1650MHz~1750MHz 0.78V~0.85V) RAM: 8+8GB DDR4-2400 18-17-17-39 2T Storage: HP EX920 1TB PCIe x4 M.2 SSD + Crucial MX500 1TB 2.5" SATA SSD, 128GB Toshiba PCIe x2 M.2 SSD (KBG30ZMV128G) gone cooking externally, 1TB Seagate 7200RPM 2.5" HDD (ST1000LM049-2GH172) left outside Monitor: 1080p 126Hz IPS G-sync

Desktop benching:

Cinebench R15 Single thread:168 Multi-thread: 833 

SuperPi (v1.5 from Techpowerup, PI value output) 16K: 0.100s 1M: 8.255s 32M: 7m 45.93s

• 7 months later...
On 12/7/2018 at 3:26 PM, COUPER MILLAR said:

I was lazy... wanted to click... video was not here... had to stop being lazy so that future guys could be.

Dear diary: Today was not tomorrow and not yesterday, which I think is nice...

//Overengineering example:

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  string s = "Hello World";
  for (int i = 0; i < s.length(); ++i)
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

4 hours ago, Sirmyself said:

I was lazy... wanted to click... video was not here... had to stop being lazy so that future guys could be.

Where were you a week ago

17 hours ago, JB780 said:

Where were you a week ago

I was a week ago man!... a week ago...

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

21 hours ago, Sirmyself said:

Now i'm waiting for someone to watch the video and summarise it for me....lol

OP - if your not O/C then single cable with 2x 8pin will be fine.

if you can then 2x cables from PSu to GFX card is better but not esential

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

33 minutes ago, shaz2sxy said:

TLDR (or TLDW) there was a difference. There seemed to have a little more stability from having two PCIe cables instead of having only one cable with a daisy-chained connector.

The difference was definitely measurable and noticeable in benchmarks but would result in quite limited performance increase in actual gaming situations.

#include <iostream>
#include <string>

using namespace std;

int main()
{
  {
      cout << s[i];
  }
  return 0;
}

14 minutes ago, Sirmyself said:

TLDR (or TLDW) there was a difference. There seemed to have a little more stability from having two PCIe cables instead of having only one cable with a daisy-chained connector.

The difference was definitely measurable and noticeable in benchmarks but would result in quite limited performance increase in actual gaming situations.

Cheers :)

Folding Stats

SYSTEM SPEC

AMD Ryzen 5 5600X | Motherboard Asus Strix B550i | RAM 32gb 3200 Crucial Ballistix | GPU Nvidia RTX 3070 Founder Edition | Cooling Barrow CPU/PUMP Block, EKWB Vector GPU Block, Corsair 280mm Radiator | Case NZXT H1 | Storage Sabrent Rocket 2tb, Samsung SM951 1tb

PSU NZXT S650 SFX Gold | Display Acer Predator XB271HU | Keyboard Corsair K70 Lux | Mouse Corsair M65 Pro  

Sound Logitech Z560 THX | Operating System Windows 10 Pro

6 hours ago, shaz2sxy said:

Since my PSU only came with the daisy chain style, am I OK to use two seperate cables and just tie the daisy chain part back?

1 minute ago, JB780 said:

Since my PSU only came with the daisy chain style, am I OK to use two seperate cables and just tie the daisy chain part back?

If you have only one chain of pci-e connectors, then use what you have.

Again, you don't HAVE TO use two separate chains of pci-e connectors. It's a good idea to do it if you don't mind the the extra wires and connectors but you don't need to.