Was there ever an idea on implementing a "Overclock.net like artisan program"?

Bouzoo
Go to solution Solved by colonel_mortis,

On OCN, there are only two registered artisans (assuming the list in your first link is accurate, which I would hope it is). It's an interesting idea, but it would definitely need to get more use than that for it to be a sensible thing to implement.

I will discuss it internally though, and if anyone would be legitimately interested in selling please do let me know what sort of thing would make sense for you (what you would be offering, who you think you would be offering the services too, etc).

If you are not familiar with what artisan program is, go here

What it is, in a nutshell, is a program for members of the community who want to offer their products/services to other members. I am not one of those members who would use it as in selling my services, but perhaps we have members who'd like that? Example of an Artisan.

Anywho, just a thought which has been in my head for months now. 

The ability to google properly is a skill of its own. 

All hail the glory days of Lutr0 customs before THE BIG SLEEVES INDUSTRY took over.

And all the sleeves we made by hand
Are nowadays made in Japan

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

4 minutes ago, Syntaxvgm said:

All hail the glory days of Lutr0 customs before THE BIG SLEEVES INDUSTRY took over.

Isn't that MAINFrame Customs now?

Just now, Bouzoo said:

Isn't that MAINFrame Customs now?

yah idk I just know the demand isn't the same as before. They used to just sell supplies for diy or make them by hand for you, which is really time consuming

I remember being excited every time I saw someone take the effort to make heatshrinkless sleeves.
How far we've come.

muh specs 

Gaming and HTPC (reparations)- ASUS 1080, MSI X99A SLI Plus, 5820k- 4.5GHz @ 1.25v, asetek based 360mm AIO, RM 1000x, 16GB memory, 750D with front USB 2.0 replaced with 3.0  ports, 2 250GB 850 EVOs in Raid 0 (why not, only has games on it), some hard drives

Screens- Acer preditor XB241H (1080p, 144Hz Gsync), LG 1080p ultrawide, (all mounted) directly wired to TV in other room

Stuff- k70 with reds, steel series rival, g13, full desk covering mouse mat

All parts black

Workstation(desk)- 3770k, 970 reference, 16GB of some crucial memory, a motherboard of some kind I don't remember, Micomsoft SC-512N1-L/DVI, CM Storm Trooper (It's got a handle, can you handle that?), 240mm Asetek based AIO, Crucial M550 256GB (upgrade soon), some hard drives, disc drives, and hot swap bays

Screens- 3  ASUS VN248H-P IPS 1080p screens mounted on a stand, some old tv on the wall above it. 

Stuff- Epicgear defiant (solderless swappable switches), g600, moutned mic and other stuff. 

Laptop docking area- 2 1440p korean monitors mounted, one AHVA matte, one samsung PLS gloss (very annoying, yes). Trashy Razer blackwidow chroma...I mean like the J key doesn't click anymore. I got a model M i use on it to, but its time for a new keyboard. Some edgy Utechsmart mouse similar to g600. Hooked to laptop dock for both of my dell precision laptops. (not only docking area)

Shelf- i7-2600 non-k (has vt-d), 380t, some ASUS sandy itx board, intel quad nic. Currently hosts shared files, setting up as pfsense box in VM. Also acts as spare gaming PC with a 580 or whatever someone brings. Hooked into laptop dock area via usb switch

i would love to sell my casemods to people tbh

I spent $2500 on building my PC and all i do with it is play no games atm & watch anime at 1080p(finally) watch YT and write essays...  nothing, it just sits there collecting dust...

Builds:

The Toaster Project! Northern Bee!

The original LAN PC build log! (Old, dead and replaced by The Toaster Project & 5.0)

Spoiler

"Here is some advice that might have gotten lost somewhere along the way in your life. 

#1. Treat others as you would like to be treated.

#2. It's best to keep your mouth shut; and appear to be stupid, rather than open it and remove all doubt.

#3. There is nothing "wrong" with being wrong. Learning from a mistake can be more valuable than not making one in the first place.

Follow these simple rules in life, and I promise you, things magically get easier. " - MageTank 31-10-2016

On OCN, there are only two registered artisans (assuming the list in your first link is accurate, which I would hope it is). It's an interesting idea, but it would definitely need to get more use than that for it to be a sensible thing to implement.

I will discuss it internally though, and if anyone would be legitimately interested in selling please do let me know what sort of thing would make sense for you (what you would be offering, who you think you would be offering the services too, etc).

HTTP/2 203

4 minutes ago, colonel_mortis said:

That is true, however, it seems to me that people might be interested if we're going by sheer number of sold items (this is only 2018). Hence my post. 

But of course, best for people to come front if they are interested. 

On 12/7/2018 at 8:40 PM, colonel_mortis said:

I think something like this would be a nice addition to the Classifieds Section.

In classifieds if people wanted a specific service such as a custom discord bot for example then they could post a WTB with the title of the kind of service they require and others could read it and potential individuals who could offer that service could contact that person by PM to discuss and deal with the case.

Alternatively, a part could be added to the user profile to allow people to register their skills and programming languages/technologies they are familiar with although I believe the first idea I mentioned in the above paragraph would be a lot easier to implement.

Judge a product on its own merits AND the company that made it.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

3 minutes ago, AluminiumTech said:

I think something like this would be a nice addition to the Classifieds Section.

In classifieds if people wanted a specific service such as a custom discord bot for example then they could post a WTB with the title of the kind of service they require and others could read it and potential individuals who could offer that service could contact that person by PM to discuss and deal with the case.

Alternatively, a part could be added to the user profile to allow people to register their skills and programming languages/technologies they are familiar with although I believe the first idea I mentioned in the above paragraph would be a lot easier to implement.

In general, that's not how it works.

You don't post WTB something random and wait for others to respond. You register yourself as an artisan for a yearly fee and then you sell specific service. You don't just register in a bit of programming, making cords, making mouse mats, etc, and then sell whatever you want. You sell specific products/crafts. That is I assume to protect in legal ways the forum and to reduce scamming. 

What you're suggesting is an open market, which is too complicated to do here in my opinion.

Just now, Bouzoo said:

In general, that's not how it works.

You don't post WTB something random and wait for others to respond. You register yourself as an artisan for a yearly fee and then you sell specific service. You don't just register in a bit of programming, making cords, making mouse mats, etc, and then sell whatever you want. You sell specific products/crafts. That is I assume to protect in legal ways the forum and to reduce scamming. 

What you're suggesting is an open market, which is too complicated to do here in my opinion.

At the end of the day I think that an implementation of the Artisan system would be nice on LTT Forums.

I'm not necessarily sure that charging a fee for using it is necessarily the right thing to do considering Classifieds is currently very laisez faire and doesn't take any commission on any sale.

How to setup MSI Afterburner OSD | How to make your AMD Radeon GPU more efficient with Radeon Chill | (Probably) Why LMG Merch shipping to the EU is expensive

Oneplus 6 (Early 2023 to present) | HP Envy 15" x360 R7 5700U (Mid 2021 to present) | Steam Deck (Late 2022 to present)

Mid 2023 AlTech Desktop Refresh - AMD R7 5800X (Mid 2023), XFX Radeon RX 6700XT MBA (Mid 2021), MSI X370 Gaming Pro Carbon (Early 2018), 32GB DDR4-3200 (16GB x2) (Mid 2022

Noctua NH-D15 (Early 2021), Corsair MP510 1.92TB NVMe SSD (Mid 2020), beQuiet Pure Wings 2 140mm x2 & 120mm x1 (Mid 2023),

Just now, AluminiumTech said:

At the end of the day I think that an implementation of the Artisan system would be nice on LTT Forums.

I'm not necessarily sure that charging a fee for using it is necessarily the right thing to do considering Classifieds is currently very laisez faire and doesn't take any commission on any sale.

Charging a fee imo is not a bad thing, mostly because it will vastly reduce scamming since not everyone will want to register in that case, only people who are serious. It is a 2 way road, the program is, and I'm all up for a registration fee. 

Mind you, this is not the same thing as classifieds. Vastly different. 

2 minutes ago, Bouzoo said:

Charging a fee imo is not a bad thing, mostly because it will vastly reduce scamming since not everyone will want to register in that case, only people who are serious. It is a 2 way road, the program is, and I'm all up for a registration fee. 

Mind you, this is not the same thing as classifieds. Vastly different. 

I know. I'm not sure I'd be willing to pay $100 USD or the equivalent to register though. If we're talking a yearly fee (or a one off fee) of $20 or something like that I'd be fine with that.