Clear coolant became yellow-murky color?

Go to solution Solved by Semper,

By chance did you flush your system with some type of cleaner beforehand?

Flux from the assembly process of the radiator has been known to turn water a slight green tinge if it's not removed from the system.

I was switching parts the other day so I disassembled my loop and re-assembled it. When I poured in the coolant and had the pump do its magic, the water came back to the reservoir in this color. I decided to flush it out a few times with distilled water but it still happen Any ideas?

info: 

-No galvanic corrosion possibilities 

-Using Ek Cryofuel

-Flushed with distilled water 3-4 times

-Tubing is Primochill advanced LRT

-First pic is before flush (Bit more yellow imo)

-second pic is after flushes

-Flushed distill water came out smelling like alcohol 

-Past coolant was ek evo clear

EA8D260C-07BD-4E6D-ABA5-9B1919F0E595.jpeg

7170D82A-0464-4A3B-A541-F015DE3B2AA8.jpeg

Flux from the assembly process of the radiator has been known to turn water a slight green tinge if it's not removed from the system.

~Remember to quote posts to continue support on your thread~
-Don't be this kind of person-

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Cleaner, no. Only filled with distilled and then shooked. Could that be why?

4 minutes ago, Semper said:

12 minutes ago, 67675 said:

Cleaner, no. Only filled with distilled and then shooked. Could that be why?

That would be my guess, yes.

Some people use a distilled/vinegar or very warm distilled/dish soap mixture if you want to keep it on the cheap. There's also formulated solutions like Primochill Sysprep (If you bought the boxed version of the Primoflex, it came with sysprep and liquid utopia) or Mayhems Blitz/Blitz Pro (among others, these two are the ones I have firsthand experience with)

CPU:  AMD Ryzen 7 5800x | RAM: 2x16GB Crucial Ripjaws Z | Cooling: XSPC/EK/Bitspower loop | MOBO: Gigabyte x570 Aorus Master | PSU: Seasonic Prime 750 Titanium  

SSD: 250GB Samsung 980 PRO (OS) | 1TB Crucial MX500| 2TB Crucial P2 | Case: Phanteks Evolv X | GPU: EVGA GTX 1080 Ti FTW3 (with EK Block) | HDD: 1x Seagate Barracuda 2TB

Flushed distill water came out smelling like alcohol 

algae??

Ryzen 5700g @ 4.4ghz all cores | Asrock B550M Steel Legend | 3060 | 2x 16gb Micron E 2666 @ 4200mhz cl16 | 500gb WD SN750 | 12 TB HDD | Deepcool Gammax 400 w/ 2 delta 4000rpm push pull | Antec Neo Eco Zen 500w

1 minute ago, SupaKomputa said:

algae??

One of my suspicions, forgot to mention that reservoir had green/brown stains on it and I’m putting premix in it rn to test that theory 

9 minutes ago, Semper said:

That would be my guess, yes.

Some people use a distilled/vinegar or very warm distilled/dish soap mixture if you want to keep it on the cheap. There's also formulated solutions like Primochill Sysprep (If you bought the boxed version of the Primoflex, it came with sysprep and liquid utopia) or Mayhems Blitz/Blitz Pro (among others, these two are the ones I have firsthand experience with)

Are you recommending me to use that for flushing or cleaning the radiator?. My wc has nickel if you’re advising flushing. Heard it corrodes with vinegar

it looks really strange.. I have been using Koolance 702 in my build for now 6 months and it is still as clear as the day I filled it in as far as I can see.

So whenever you clean the system, maybe consider getting that instead?

My Gaming PC: 27833

10 hours ago, 67675 said:

One of my suspicions, forgot to mention that reservoir had green/brown stains on it and I’m putting premix in it rn to test that theory 

Are you recommending me to use that for flushing or cleaning the radiator?. My wc has nickel if you’re advising flushing. Heard it corrodes with vinegar

If you're planning to pull the loop apaet, inspect the cold plate and/or pump for growth buildup. Growth is lower on my suspicions here though.

I don't personally use nickel plating in any of my builds, but looking around, it doesn't look like it's corrosion so much as oxidation. I am recommending that you clean your loop though. Dish soap and near-boiling DI/distilled water should work fine if you don't want to use something like the aforementioned treatment options. Either flush until clear and then clean, or clean then flush until clear. I'd recommend the latter.

4 hours ago, Semper said:

If you're planning to pull the loop apaet, inspect the cold plate and/or pump for growth buildup. Growth is lower on my suspicions here though.

I don't personally use nickel plating in any of my builds, but looking around, it doesn't look like it's corrosion so much as oxidation. I am recommending that you clean your loop though. Dish soap and near-boiling DI/distilled water should work fine if you don't want to use something like the aforementioned treatment options. Either flush until clear and then clean, or clean then flush until clear. I'd recommend the latter.

Is near boiling fine to use to flush? Would it affect the pump while it’s running or the components?

4 hours ago, AT0MAC said:

it looks really strange.. I have been using Koolance 702 in my build for now 6 months and it is still as clear as the day I filled it in as far as I can see.

So whenever you clean the system, maybe consider getting that instead?

I don’t think it’s the coolant that’s causing the problem, pretty sure it’s something in the loop

4 minutes ago, 67675 said:

Is near boiling fine to use to flush? Would it affect the pump while it’s running or the components?

I don’t think it’s the coolant that’s causing the problem, pretty sure it’s something in the loop

I don't see why it would harm your pump, however I've never actually done it this way, it's just more flushing that you have to do to remove it from your system.

If i use a premix solution (Blitz/sysprep), I run my loop for ~24 hours with the mixture according to the bottle before flushing and adding my long-term coolant

If I clean it with a small amount of dish soap or vinegar, I just clean the radiator. It involves a few plugs, some gloves, and a lot of shaking.

this is not algae.   not the right kind of brown, and stains are more likely chemical than biological. If you have see the whole room watercooling series then you have see a algae growth (kinda fungusy)

clean your system with the blitz, and remove all the parts off your system and 're-assemble' off them so you can run it and flush it with out worry of having to make sure some thing is dry before you hit the power.    I see what you mean, its nothing to be worried about in my opinion.  just looks like a taint. (lol)  but really if the fluid moves through the system and your temps are fine i wouldn't be concerned. 

FYI- for any one that doesn't know what a fucked up loop would look like, its when there is white shit in your water that you didn't put there (galvanic corrosion makes aluminum oxide powder).

likely its some sort of shit left in the tubes. (PVC is slightly porous).   Practically i learned back in the day that all molecules are not equal; when i took some dopeAF de-greaser home in a polystyrene cup, that held normal 'fluid' just fine. i found out later that it didnt hold this shit that well since the container was empty despite not being opened. -- the WHOLE point of this info was to indemnify that  it could be degrading PVC plasticizer or 'old' fluid leaching back into the water (since its now a lower concentration than before)

1 hour ago, Neo-revo said:

this is not algae.   not the right kind of brown, and stains are more likely chemical than biological. If you have see the whole room watercooling series then you have see a algae growth (kinda fungusy)

clean your system with the blitz, and remove all the parts off your system and 're-assemble' off them so you can run it and flush it with out worry of having to make sure some thing is dry before you hit the power.    I see what you mean, its nothing to be worried about in my opinion.  just looks like a taint. (lol)  but really if the fluid moves through the system and your temps are fine i wouldn't be concerned. 

FYI- for any one that doesn't know what a fucked up loop would look like, its when there is white shit in your water that you didn't put there (galvanic corrosion makes aluminum oxide powder).

likely its some sort of shit left in the tubes. (PVC is slightly porous).   Practically i learned back in the day that all molecules are not equal; when i took some dopeAF de-greaser home in a polystyrene cup, that held normal 'fluid' just fine. i found out later that it didnt hold this shit that well since the container was empty despite not being opened. -- the WHOLE point of this info was to indemnify that  it could be degrading PVC plasticizer or 'old' fluid leaching back into the water (since its now a lower concentration than before)

1 hour ago, Semper said:

I don't see why it would harm your pump, however I've never actually done it this way, it's just more flushing that you have to do to remove it from your system.

If i use a premix solution (Blitz/sysprep), I run my loop for ~24 hours with the mixture according to the bottle before flushing and adding my long-term coolant

If I clean it with a small amount of dish soap or vinegar, I just clean the radiator. It involves a few plugs, some gloves, and a lot of shaking.

Took out rad to do cleaning job of good old shaking + solution of vinegar and heated distilled. Oh boy is there a lot of flux and is the water green. I’m going to clean out my rads and see first. If I have more problems, will inform you guys. Thx for help.

On 12/7/2018 at 1:14 AM, Semper said:

^^^^ 

this was problem, rads flushed and water became clear. Thanks for help