Are there people out there making VR experiences?

Totallycasual

I wasn't really sure where to ask this question but here goes.

I'm not super keen on VR gaming in its current state however i am very interested in the idea of being able to explore specific museums or tourist attractions etc in VR, i read a little here and there about people working on such things but nothing ever seems to come out at the consumer end.  I'd really like to buy into the technology if it will enable me to explore locations around the world that i otherwise wouldn't be able to get to.  I think if you could combine VR versions of places like Stonehenge or Machu Picchu etc in some type of educational format similar to the side mode of Assassins Creed Origins it would be huge in its own right.  Would get a lot of non-gamers into the hardware. 

Thanks but i don't mean just random crap filmed in 360, i mean a digital replica of a specific site that i can walk around and explore, i can walk up to different points of interest and have a narrator tell me some interesting facts about that specific aspect of the attraction.  I read about a couple of top museums working on creating something like this but as i said, it isn't something that i ever see come out the other end for the devices. 

This seems to have been moved to the PC gaming section but this isn't about PC gaming :(

I guess part of the problem is that it isn't easy to do this well, and for the limited target audience it is going to be challenging to gain much traction.

There is already a Stonehenge VR "experience" but I found that to be done really badly. Got the feeling most of the people never visited, and it was just underwhelming. 

The other thing that isn't quite what you mention is Google Earth VR. For supported places you can almost walk around it.

Not sure what came of it, someone did come up with a camera based kinda scan to 3D system. Using normal 2D cameras image a scene from various angles, and reconstruct 3D from that. Not the one Linus demo'd, which I think was lidar based, but that's another possible solution too. Getting the data in, cleaning it up, cutting it down to a manageable size, and adding value... is no small job.

Main system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, Corsair Vengeance Pro 3200 3x 16GB 2R, RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

12 hours ago, Newenthusiast said:

Thanks but i don't mean just random crap filmed in 360, i mean a digital replica of a specific site that i can walk around and explore

https://vr.google.com/earth/

i can walk up to different points of interest and have a narrator tell me some interesting facts about that specific aspect of the attraction.

I don't know where you'd find something like this, sounds like an idea no one has done yet. I remember experiencing something like this in VR on YouTube but it was just a random video. To find it again would be a wild goose chase.

I read about a couple of top museums working on creating something like this

What exactly did you read?

This seems to have been moved to the PC gaming section but this isn't about PC gaming

VR is all about PC gaming unless you're using one of the cheaper models with less quality.