is the nh-d15 overrated?

Go to solution Solved by Stefan Payne,
19 hours ago, ears_ears said:

Sorry for bumping, but I found absolutely NOTHING that suggests the D15 is in any way better than the LGM even with its dual fan setup

You have to look at Reviews that use at least a soldered CPU -> AMD FX, Intel LGA2011 at the time.

Cooler Tests with Intel Consumer Plattform with Ivy Bridge or later are just useless horseshit and can be ignored because the TIM is the limiting factor.

So even if the NH-D15 would be able to cool 450W at 100%, you can't get a notable difference with that system towards a good single tower because the TIM can't conduct more heat from the die...

Hardwareluxx for example uses that:

Prozessor Intel Core i7-4790K (4,2 GHz)

And that's just horseshit and makes the "Review" almost useless for highest end coolers.

7 hours ago, AngryBeaver said:

When buying an AIO it is important to look at the warranty of it. Most of the big names out there cover the item and any parts it damages in the event of a failure. I am pretty sure CM does too, but their website is showing down for me atm so I cannot confirm.

So some of the problems with the post you link are that the OP hasn't taken the fight to them yet. They have a legal obligation to honor their warranty and any parts that their product damage due to being faulty. So once the OP does what is needed he will walk away from this once again whole.

I just can't deal with all the hassle and the dormant period of my PC when waiting the component replacement. I'm not worrying the warranty of AIO, it's about all the hassle, all the time spent and emotion consumed because of the liquid exposure to the other components. For me it's just not worth the time and emotion and effort to fight for the replacement..

I will run air cooler, and be prepared for the most risk which is a fan defect, without worrying other components are getting affected, and having a normal day..

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

33 minutes ago, AngryBeaver said:

someone killing their board with a giant air cooler (Yes it happens). The major difference is the people that kill a board via the heavy cooler causing damage either overtime or when moved don't normally know why it won't boot and don't normally have an obvious sign. Where as if a AIO leaks you can see it pretty easily.

This story is one of the facts that a motherboard is sturdy enough to withstand heavy impact while it has a heavy cooler on it, and it survived and still work after the event.

My system specs:

Spoiler

CPU: Intel Core i7-8700K, 5GHz Delidded LM || CPU Cooler: Noctua NH-C14S w/ NF-A15 & NF-A14 Chromax fans in push-pull cofiguration || Motherboard: MSI Z370i Gaming Pro Carbon AC || RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX DDR4 2x8Gb 2666 || GPU: EVGA GTX 1060 6Gb FTW2+ DT || Storage: Samsung 860 Evo M.2 SATA SSD 250Gb, 2x 2.5" HDDs 1Tb & 500Gb || ODD: 9mm Slim DVD RW || PSU: Corsair SF600 80+ Platinum || Case: Cougar QBX + 1x Noctua NF-R8 front intake + 2x Noctua NF-F12 iPPC top exhaust + Cougar stock 92mm DC fan rear exhaust || Monitor: ASUS VG248QE || Keyboard: Ducky One 2 Mini Cherry MX Red || Mouse: Logitech G703 || Audio: Corsair HS70 Wireless || Other: XBox One S Controler

My build logs:

18 minutes ago, _Hustler_One_ said:

I just can't deal with all the hassle and the dormant period of my PC when waiting the component replacement. I'm not worrying the warranty of AIO, it's about all the hassle, all the time spent and emotion consumed because of the liquid exposure to the other components. For me it's just not worth the time and emotion and effort to fight for the replacement..

I will run air cooler, and be prepared for the most risk which is a fan defect, without worrying other component are getting affected, and having a normal day..

Fair enough, but know that there are other risks associate with big tower coolers other than just the fans failing.

Also as core counts go up I expect to see TDP climb more and more over the years as well. That will mean that eventually Big Air just won't be able to come up with the surface area needed to keep up and still fit inside a average sized case. As that happens I expect to see AIO's become even more popular maybe even multi rad AIO's. I should probably try to market that idea now before it becomes mainstream lol.

I mean don't get me wrong I am not saying there is anything wrong with Big Air. I just don't like how people always say how risky it is when these days that risk is so minimal it might as well not exist for the overwhelming majority. I also think that water has some huge advantages that air just can't match, but unfortunately the current benchmarks that compare air to water don't highlight them due to being open air tests.

Also as core counts go up I expect to see TDP climb more and more over the years as well. That will mean that eventually Big Air just won't be able to come up with the surface area needed to keep up and still fit inside a average sized case.

For this, have you seen Noctua's next gen coolers in the last computex event? Their new NH-U12? The next gen of 120mm air cooler with 7 heatpipes with the new NF-A12 fans on it? It shows its performance to be similar to the current NH-D15. If the new NH-U12 is that good, how about the next gen NH-U14 and NH-D15 would be? Noctua has come to offer and cover all that upcoming core counts increase of future CPUs ahead..

"The NH-U12 is the fifth-generation of this design. The primary upgrade is the switch to Noctua’s own NF-A12x12 120mm premium fans that have been five years in the making and have an extremely tight clearance between the blade tip and frame. The NH-U12 uses two of them in a push-pull configuration, includes seven heat pipes, and has 37 percent more surface area compared to the NH-U12S. A live demo at the Computex 2018 booth showed the new cooler running next to the flagship NH-D15 and achieving performance within 1°C of it at 220W load."

https://bit-tech.net/news/tech/cooling/noctua-reveals-fifth-gen-nh-u12-cooler/1/

how people always say how risky it is when these days that risk is so minimal it might as well not exist for the overwhelming majority.

Agree. While I'm not blowing out the how risky AIO is, I just never get the convenience to go liquid cooling no matter how people trying to convince me to use them. And if finally I go liquid, and when the risk occured, I don't know if I'm in the ready state to deal with the after effect as I'm busy and have too much work on my PC and just only play a single game, I use my PC mostly for works than gaming, so you know..

No offense, dude.. I'm just not that courageous to have liquid and electronics working together in a small limited space like PC cases.

Aside of that, I will still vote the Thermalright Le Grand Macho RT among the air coolers available on the market currently..

My system specs:

Spoiler

My build logs:

19 hours ago, ears_ears said:

Sorry for bumping, but I found absolutely NOTHING that suggests the D15 is in any way better than the LGM even with its dual fan setup

You have to look at Reviews that use at least a soldered CPU -> AMD FX, Intel LGA2011 at the time.

Cooler Tests with Intel Consumer Plattform with Ivy Bridge or later are just useless horseshit and can be ignored because the TIM is the limiting factor.

So even if the NH-D15 would be able to cool 450W at 100%, you can't get a notable difference with that system towards a good single tower because the TIM can't conduct more heat from the die...

Hardwareluxx for example uses that:

Prozessor Intel Core i7-4790K (4,2 GHz)

And that's just horseshit and makes the "Review" almost useless for highest end coolers.

"Hell is full of good meanings, but Heaven is full of good works"