Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...

Is there seriously no way to use 8th gen cpus on b250 boards?

I'm currently looking to upgrade my 7th generation Pentium and am very disappointed that i cant get one of the 8th gen i3's. Is there seriously no way to use those on B250 boards? 

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

BIOS hacking is required and it'll also be improperly powered because of the different number of high, low, and ground pins in the socket, but if you're cool with that then go for it, throw an i3 in there. Or don't, you can get an i5 or an i7.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

Just now, fasauceome said:

BIOS hacking is required and it'll also be improperly powered because of the different number of high, low, and ground pins in the socket, but if you're cool with that then go for it, throw an i3 in there. Or don't, you can get an i5 or an i7.

How shitty would a 7th Gen i3 be compared to an 8th gen one, just looking to get more performance in games but I'm not sure I can swallow the price of an i5 or i7

#BudgetMasterRace

CPU: Pentium G4560  GPU: Gigabyte GTX 1050 OC  RAM: 8GB DDR4 2400mhz  CASE: NZXT S340  POWER SUPPLY: EVGA 500B MOTHERBOARD: Gigabyte B250M-DS3H  STORAGE: 1tb Wd Blue 7200rpm hdd  MOUSE: Redragon M711 Cobra Chroma RGB 

KEYBOARD: Corsair Strafe  MICROPHONE: Blue Snowball  DISPLAY: Dell S2440L 1080p 60hz  HEADPHONES: Audio Technica ATH-M30X's

3 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

How shitty would a 7th Gen i3 be compared to an 8th gen one, just looking to get more performance in games but I'm not sure I can swallow the price of an i5 or i7

What games do you want to play?
What's your target resolution/refresh rate and game settings (ie. 1080p 60hz on high settings)
What's your upgrade budget?

I wouldn't bother going to a 7th gen i3 from a G4560 since you'll still be stuck with a 2c/4t CPU. Would not be worth the cost.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

4 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

thats how intel works in mobo for all gen, 2 gen max "officially" support

.just hang on a bit long and go for ryzen

Just buy a cheap 7th gen i5. They're cheaper than the 8th gen i3s anyway. (Provided you buy used.) (Both are around 110 US). Plus, I don't think the 8th gen i3s have turbo boost.

Just now, Spotty said:

What games do you want to play?
What's your target resolution/refresh rate and game settings (ie. 1080p 60hz on high settings)
What's your upgrade budget?

I wouldn't bother going to a 7th gen i3 from a G4560 since you'll still be stuck with a 2c/4t CPU. Would not be worth the cost.

As far as games that always changes but mostly triple A titles, specifically some RPGs and competitive shooters (Rainbow six and DarkSouls 3 are probably the best examples of what type of stuff I'm wanting to play) 

My target resolution is 1080p at like 60fps give or take

My upgrade budget is around 300 bucks, possibly more or less depending on how much my MacBook sells for. Problem is I'm also looking to add an SSD and 8 more gigs of ram if I can. I'm holding off on the GPU for a while because for now, I can chug along fairly well with my 1050 for the time being. 

#BudgetMasterRace

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Just buy a cheap 7th gen i5. 

Recommend one?

So rise up, all ye lost ones, as one, we'll claw the clouds

2 minutes ago, corrado33 said:

Just buy a cheap 7th gen i5. They're cheaper than the 8th gen i3s anyway. (Provided you buy used.) 

I've never been too keen on buying used but I may look into that.

#BudgetMasterRace

3 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

Dude, it's an i5. If you buy a lower end non-k version (like the 6400 or 6500 or sorry you wanted 7th gen so 7400 or 7500) you can almost guarantee it hasn't been abused. Honestly you'd be fine even sticking with the 6th gen. 7th gen was BARELY even a refresh and they BARELY outperform the 6th gen. Not worth the extra money in my opinion. (Says the person who just bought a used 6700k instead of a 7700k).

I've been buying used stuff for a decade and a used CPU has never been an issue for me. 

1 minute ago, corrado33 said:

Dude, it's an i5. If you buy a lower end non-k version (like the 6400 or 6500) you can almost guarantee it hasn't been abused. 

I've been buying used stuff for a decade and a used CPU has never been an issue for me. 

Yeah I guess so, I just get nervous about that kind of stuff so I usually don't but I'll look into it a little bit more.

#BudgetMasterRace

8 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

You'll have to. A 7th gen core i3 is basically a Pentium, whereas an 8th get i3 is basically a 7th gen i5. eBay is what you'll need.

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Skill Trident Z RGB - WD SN750 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - Hyper 212 Black (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G3 650W - dual booting Windows 10 and Linux - Black and green theme, Razer brainwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - dark mode Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

How many watts do I need? Seasonic Focus thread, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

52 minutes ago, Zeke_ said:

As far as games that always changes but mostly triple A titles, specifically some RPGs and competitive shooters (Rainbow six and DarkSouls 3 are probably the best examples of what type of stuff I'm wanting to play) 

My target resolution is 1080p at like 60fps give or take

My upgrade budget is around 300 bucks, possibly more or less depending on how much my MacBook sells for. Problem is I'm also looking to add an SSD and 8 more gigs of ram if I can. I'm holding off on the GPU for a while because for now, I can chug along fairly well with my 1050 for the time being. 

Should probably look at Ryzen if your budget is $300. The Ryzen 2200G will be roughly equal to an i5 7500 and with your budget you will be able to replace your RAM with a 2x8GB 3000MHz kit which will help with performance on Ryzen, and might even be able to squeeze in a budget SSD.
You could then sell your current G4560 + B250 + 8GB 2400MHz RAM. Maybe wait to buy the SSD until you sell your G4560 stuff and then try and get a better quality SSD like a Crucial MX500 250GB for around $50.

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450