How are VRMs on B450m mortar?

Go to solution Solved by Mira Yurizaki,

I've only found one review when looking up the board that did an overclocking stress test: https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboards/msi-b450m-mortar-review/8/

Amazingly, despite its seemingly diminutive cooling and power delivery, we saw no throttling issues during stress test, with the VRM heatsink just about topping 50°C and the rear of the VRMs reaching well over 70°C according to our IR thermometer  - both fairly toasty, there was still no throttling, whereas the Gigabyte board throttled within five minutes.

I have the Titanium version (probably just a color difference) with a 2700X and DDR4-3200 RAM, and I ran it on a 30 minute prime95 test. While it survived pretty well, that was more of a "make sure the CPU cooler is good" test than testing the VRMs. Though in the middle of the run I was able to touch the heat sink without burning myself if that means anything.

I can probably re-run some stress tests with an emphasis in looking at the VRMs later.

I'm planning on a build with a 2600 and the MSI B450m Mortar, are the VRMs good enough to let me overclock my CPU and ram? Given that I have an aftermarket cooler

I've only found one review when looking up the board that did an overclocking stress test: https://bit-tech.net/reviews/tech/motherboards/msi-b450m-mortar-review/8/

Amazingly, despite its seemingly diminutive cooling and power delivery, we saw no throttling issues during stress test, with the VRM heatsink just about topping 50°C and the rear of the VRMs reaching well over 70°C according to our IR thermometer  - both fairly toasty, there was still no throttling, whereas the Gigabyte board throttled within five minutes.

I have the Titanium version (probably just a color difference) with a 2700X and DDR4-3200 RAM, and I ran it on a 30 minute prime95 test. While it survived pretty well, that was more of a "make sure the CPU cooler is good" test than testing the VRMs. Though in the middle of the run I was able to touch the heat sink without burning myself if that means anything.

I can probably re-run some stress tests with an emphasis in looking at the VRMs later.